• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939/LMTV/FMTV Air dryer replacements/upgrades

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I agree about price being important, but the 24v AD-9 is about $150, versus $185 for the turbo 2000. Unless you found them cheaper somewhere else, if so pm me the link.
I went with the turbo 2000 due to the mounting bracket. As well as the heater keeps the cartridge heated as well not just the purge valve

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, thanks for the write-up Simp- great info.

Second, I'm still learning about air brakes so how does a heater remove moisture from the air brake system? I thought to remove moisture from compressed air, you had to condense it out through cooling, not heating.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
First, thanks for the write-up Simp- great info.

Second, I'm still learning about air brakes so how does a heater remove moisture from the air brake system? I thought to remove moisture from compressed air, you had to condense it out through cooling, not heating.
The heater is there for keep the purge valve from freezing since water forms and is dispensed thru it and can gather there

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot about the f-word. Not something I worry about too much down here.

Follow on question: Does the regular heater like I have operate continuously so I can verify it's operation on warm days by feeling it? Or is operation based on outside temp?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pardon the ignorance, the installation instructions for the Turbo 2000 says it requires a purge tank, but I read here it sounds like you do not need one. I have also read on the SKF website that this particular air dryer builds its own sufficient purge air without the aid of a tank.
Can anyone clarify this conflict in information? Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pardon the ignorance, the installation instructions for the Turbo 2000 says it requires a purge tank, but I read here it sounds like you do not need one. I have also read on the SKF website that this particular air dryer builds its own sufficient purge air without the aid of a tank.
Can anyone clarify this conflict in information? Thanks.
You do not need it. simply block the port off. I did this on the Wabco driers as well. There are Holset compliant and non holset compliant Turbo 2000 dryers as well the compatible has a yellow tag. The non compatible has a red tag.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need it. simply block the port off. I did this on the Wabco driers as well. There are Holset compliant and non holset compliant Turbo 2000 dryers as well the compatible has a yellow tag. The non compatible has a red tag.
Thanks for the clarification, Simp!
Looks like I am going to ditch my Pure Air.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes, just to verify, the SKF Brakemaster Turbo 2000 is a direct replacement, will bolt up in the stock location (in front of the first rear axle on the crossmember), and all tubing will connect. Purge tank port (3/8") must be plugged. And where is currently the best place to purchase one?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, just to verify, the SKF Brakemaster Turbo 2000 is a direct replacement, will bolt up in the stock location (in front of the first rear axle on the crossmember), and all tubing will connect. Purge tank port (3/8") must be plugged. And where is currently the best place to purchase one?
Yes russ they bolt to either the 4way or 3 bolt pattern. There are some on ebay as of late. You can use the 12v heater unit since it doesn't get used that often in your neck of the woods anyway. According to skf the heater is omni volt anyway

TEAMJENSEN

I want one of these, but haven't been able to find one! Anybody got a link/source to purchase one??
I found mine on fleabay. Search "skf brakemaster" it will pop up with a 24v unit. The seller is in oregon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found mine on fleabay. Search "skf brakemaster" it will pop up with a 24v unit. The seller is in oregon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Oh I have tried Ebay, that one seller who had tons of them sold out before I could get one. I was my fault, I forgot about them being such a good deal.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks