• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel stud replacement

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question, what is the best way to remove a damaged wheel stud? hub is already off the truck.

hit it with a BFH? (and tricks to this technique?)

press it out ?

Other?

and for future learning reference where would this be covered in which TM? I seem to only have parts and operation TMs.

thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you can get a lug nut on it then just hit it with a BFH. Even with a little nub itll knock out pretty easy with a good wack. If it is broke off flush with the hub then you would need to heat it and use a punch and hammer.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Draw the new one back in with a lug nut, may need some washers under it as you get to the final seating of the lug bolt head.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If it is broke off right at the hub/drum or what ever, instead of heating, a fat drift pin and a 3 or 4 lb hammer will do it.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI for other 5 ton'ers - tried to replace a damaged stud on my front hub, based on what i pulled out of my front hub it appears somewhere in the trucks past a rear hub was put on the front. Mike of Big mikes did a little research and determined the bearings are the same, so they appear interchangeable. in the picture the center stud is the old one i pulled from my hub, the outer two are the "correct" studs that should have fit.

so my question to you all --- are there any other differences besides the studs, that i need to be aware of when buying parts etc.. in the future.

Resized_20181106_173106.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 939 series studs are all the same. They are longer than 809 series studs. They used an 809 series stud. Hubs are all interchangeable. The stud length is why a special lug nut is used on the 54/809 series for HEMTT wheels

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks