• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a/802a Governor adjustment how do you do it??? TM mentions a gage

leedawg

So as the title suggests I was reading through the TM on the governor adjustment procedure as it is outlined in the TM. So I have been searching for anybody that has done the governor adjustment per the TM. It mentions you need to have the governor setting gage (317-50115). What is this gage can you fabricate one yourself? I can not find any pictures of this tool or sources to purchase it if needed. What do most people here do just eyeball it and hope for the best?

Any way just thought I would ask because I could not find any info on it and figured somebody must have had to do this on their set already. Or do you just hope that it is already setup the way it is supposed to be. I have not yet started my set still cleaning up the fuel system and sorting out the DC electrical system.

Thanks in advance.

Guyfang

Staff member
Go to the TM forum. Power generation equipment. First page. All the TM's you need for the 803A. Middle row of TM's, third document is an easyer adjustment procedure.

Yes you you can fab gage, if someone had one to take measurements from. No one has one.

Why do you need to adjust it? If it works, don't fool with it. Get it to run first. Then decide if you have a mal-adjusted fuel rack.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah get the set up and running first. More than likely you wont need to do anything to the governor. Do you have concerns with something on the DC side?

leedawg

Go to the TM forum. Power generation equipment. First page. All the TM's you need for the 803A. Middle row of TM's, third document is an easyer adjustment procedure.

Yes you you can fab gage, if someone had one to take measurements from. No one has one.

Why do you need to adjust it? If it works, don't fool with it. Get it to run first. Then decide if you have a mal-adjusted fuel rack.
Perhaps I'm looking for a problem where there isn't one. I had just assumed that it would probably have a problem this thing has not run in the better part of at least 5 years with a lot of rust on everything.

As for the gage you guys did not even have one in the military to service the units with then eh. I will have another look at the manuals you mentioned I did read a one page document that talked about just making sure the cap screw was making solid contact with the stop lever. That might be the one you are refering to the images are blurry in the post to download them so I will have to go back and check again. That being said im crossing my fingers that whole system is just fine. Motor turns over by hand freely even with just moving the water pump fan via the serpentine belt. Gugfang just want to say thank you personally for all that you have put into this board for everyone I have read many of your posts and they are great contribution and help to so many of us working on these units.

Anyway I am going to soldier on and not worry bout the gov right now I can freely move it by hand and the start-stop lever moves freely as well. I will wait till I get it started and load test it to see how its working. I believe from another post that you made I should be looking at fq changes of roughly 2-3 hz from full load to unloaded maybe tighter. Any way will update when I finally get the motor started.

Yeah get the setup and running first. More than likely you won't need to do anything to the governor. Do you have concerns with something on the DC side?
Actually, I do I have been working through them slowly. I was missing the starting module believe it is called S14. Anyway, I had sourced one about 4 years ago from the company finally just put it in yesterday. Cleaned up all the contacts on the other relays. Noticed the fuel gauge was not working turned out to be sender had a broken filament on the coil where the brass brush brushes along it so soldered that back together now works great again. So WHen I switch to the start position the glow plug relay engages but the starter did not for a while. Now magically the starter does engage then shuts off almost immediately as soon as the low fuel light comes on. I imagine this is normal as it is an error and tells the unit not to run. I flipped the battle short switch on and it does not allow it to crank which I thought was odd because I thought the battle short switch was to override the safety systems but I dunno will have to read more about it. I can, however, engage the main contactor relay with the battle short switch on only if I go to the start position and then let it go real fast. Any way I think things are coming around to working so as of now seems as though the DC system is acting as it should it was strange when it would not crank over at all in the beginning however that could have been the actual panel switch as well its one of the blue ones which I have read are not so great and this thing for sure saw time in a desert somewhere it has a bunch of sand in it.

Next is to start working on the fuel system till I get clean fuel all the way up to the injection pumps then going to throw some oil in her dry crank it a bit to get the oil circulating around then turn the fuel on and hope it fires up. If that goes well going to put the radiator back in fill the system up with antifreez then start the load testing to check the governor, and if that all goes well going to put all the panels back on its a process for sure. Thanks again to both of you for the responses really appreciate it have a great day.

Lee

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to get the set running first, THEN flip the battle short. You can do so pretty much immediatley after you release the start switch and its at RPM. Its a built in safety to not start in battle short.

goat4hooves

I had the urge to look at the governor when I first got the generator, but quickly changed my mind after reading what was required in the TM. A special tool that I didn't have.

It runs and generates electricity just fine. I will cross that bridge only when I have to.

USAMilRet

I have one.....

leedawg

I have one.....
That's awesome I would love to see some pictures and get some measurements so I can machine one out.

Any way Guyfang was right governor seems to be okay with this unit had to tear down one of the fuel pumps but the rest of them were free and working. Got the unit to fire up blew a lot of carbon out but it is now running. I got the AC side of the unit running and threw it on the load bank.

From 110% load to zero I am getting about 3 hz change. How tight do the governors on these units hold the fq? My 005 fluctuates about 1 to 2 hz.

Any way its been fun getting this thing running really nice little unit.

Lee

Guyfang

Staff member
That's awesome I would love to see some pictures and get some measurements so I can machine one out.

Any way Guyfang was right governor seems to be okay with this unit had to tear down one of the fuel pumps but the rest of them were free and working. Got the unit to fire up blew a lot of carbon out but it is now running. I got the AC side of the unit running and threw it on the load bank.

From 110% load to zero I am getting about 3 hz change. How tight do the governors on these units hold the fq? My 005 fluctuates about 1 to 2 hz.

Any way its been fun getting this thing running really nice little unit.

Lee

A fluctuation, is when your engine speed goes up and down. Is that the case, or does it just drop a few hertz at full load? When you run a full, or high load, you need to take that as a given. We ALLWAYS set our hertz at 62, when we were running high. And unless you use a real meter, you really are not sure what the hertz is. You can not compare the MEP-803 and the MEP-005A for stability.

leedawg

So why don't you put the mesurments down in a sticky?
+1 that would be great for the whole community.

A fluctuation, is when your engine speed goes up and down. Is that the case, or does it just drop a few hertz at full load? When you run a full, or high load, you need to take that as a given. We ALLWAYS set our hertz at 62, when we were running high. And unless you use a real meter, you really are not sure what the hertz is. You can not compare the MEP-803 and the MEP-005A for stability.
Sorry for the ambiguity you are correct motor runs nice and constant rpm. The rpm/fq drops about 3 hz from no load to full load. Thus is measured with my fluke multimeter on the main lugs.

As to the 005a that is all I had to compare it to. The beast holds fq really tight and is a utility set can't imagine the precise model must be super stable. Why are they a bad comparison is the standyne roosmaster pump and governor system just superior to the lister petter one? Just curious on your thoughts.

Thanks again

Lee

Guyfang

Staff member
The Roosamaster IP is a precision piece of equipment. When it is put on the test stand and "tuned in", you have a VERY stable platform. The L/P fuel rack is a better then normal system, but it's just not as "tight". There is a bit of "slop" built into it. And that's not bad. It's robust, and simple. Keep in mind, these small gen set are ment to drive systems that do not require precise power. The MEP-004A and 005A were very stable. In fact, they were almost as good as the MEP-104A precise power gen set. All we used in HAWK and PATRIOT were precise sets. MEP-114A, 400 hertz sets, but precise sets, with the at first, electro/Hydrolic governing system, then the full electric governing system. Once durring a NATO evaluation, we had a governor failure. The set started to fluctuate, wildly. I pushed the rear arm on the Roosamastem all the way back, until the engine speed hit 400 hertz, and locked it down. Then I removed power to the electric governor. For the next 4 days, it ran like a champ. No one noticed it was not "precise power", because it was so stable. I always thought the cost of converting a utility set to precise set was wasted money.

leedawg

Fascinating I had no idea figured all the military genset were similar in this regard especially si ce this one was a newer generation. That's why I was a bit surprised at the drop from no load to full load compared to the ol 005a. Well I will regard this as normal operation for the 803a and like you suggested probably just set it at 62 and call it good. I think some other thread somewhere you posted most things don't even notice and couple hz changes. I just found it interesting you regarded the 005a so much and I agree I've watched it when several of our 5 hp irrigation motors kick in and it barks but holds the freq within 1hz easy all day long maybe better rarely have to adjust throttle setting. Aside from it spitting oil out of the main seal and burning 2.5 gph it's a great unit been runing strong for past 12 years.

Guyfang

Staff member
Fascinating I had no idea figured all the military genset were similar in this regard especially si ce this one was a newer generation. That's why I was a bit surprised at the drop from no load to full load compared to the ol 005a. Well I will regard this as normal operation for the 803a and like you suggested probably just set it at 62 and call it good. I think some other thread somewhere you posted most things don't even notice and couple hz changes. I just found it interesting you regarded the 005a so much and I agree I've watched it when several of our 5 hp irrigation motors kick in and it barks but holds the freq within 1hz easy all day long maybe better rarely have to adjust throttle setting. Aside from it spitting oil out of the main seal and burning 2.5 gph it's a great unit been runing strong for past 12 years.
I love the 15 KW and 30 KW gen set. I delt mostly with the The MEP-114A and 115A 400 hertz precise sets, the last 8 years in the Army, in Patriot. I also worked the MEP-116A, 400 hertz gen set for 10 years in Hawk. Also a great set, but had many more problems then the 15&30 KW. But most of the problems were not engine related.

12 years? Not bad! Says you take Good care of it!

leedawg

I will. I am in the middle of a nasty breakup. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.....

Im sorry to hear that :( We have all been there, be strong buddy! Not really in a hurry but would be great to have a pic and then put the dimensions on it. I would be happy to machine a couple out for anybody interested.

Lee

Demoh

.... I would be happy to machine a couple out for anybody interested.

Lee

Id be interested as I still havent put my mill back together after the move, with no plans to since its no small task. Its a vmc950 and even if I put it back together it still has an issue where the spindle wont index so I am stuck with manual toolchange and no tapping. (and I dont have any tooling for my small Enco)

leedawg

Id be interested as I still havent put my mill back together after the move, with no plans to since its no small task. Its a vmc950 and even if I put it back together it still has an issue where the spindle wont index so I am stuck with manual toolchange and no tapping. (and I dont have any tooling for my small Enco)

Nice wish I had a CNC bed mill. Does it have a fanuc 0m control on it? I almost bought an old leblond makino but it was having problems with a servo drive and a failing spindle bearing cost to fix it would have been many times what I was going to pay for it. Lookin at maybe a haas mini mill at some point in the future. Ah the never ending acquisition of tools. Any way I just have an old bridgeport J head manual knee mill I figured id knock em out on there depending how complicated the part is. Can't imagine its that bad.

Demoh

Its mitsubishi meldas or meldas magic or something like that. Its running on windows 95 on a 486. Faster than any modern pc because there isnt any un-necessary code in those old OSs so there was never a need for more than 16mb of ram.

Me knowing anything about how to use this thing is another story. Any time I want to do anything I have my partner do the CNC stuff that I havent learned yet. One of these days(TM) Ill have time.

USAMilRet

I have the pictures taken and on the computer. I will have them up tomorrow unless the cant (did I spell that wrong?) makes my day **** like it has been for so many years. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. Always thought I could survive anything......guess I have been proven wrong. I get to take her to the cleaners though.....looking forward to that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks