• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS keypad

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
How many would be interested in new keypads for your CTIS? Replacement would require great care but not to hard to do. New membrane with adhesive would be about $30. New switches also available if some of yours do not 'click' properly.
Tom

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, I am interested. However, the one Ctis box I took apart was completely potted. How do you propose to get to the switches or switch connection?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Tom, I am interested. However, the one Ctis box I took apart was completely potted. How do you propose to get to the switches or switch connection?
The switch panel membrane is under the panel with 4 screws. Fairly tricky to do but can be replaced if you have a new membrane which at worst case I can have made.
Potting? I laugh at potting like this. I routinely repair potted parts, it takes time to learn but after the first couple it can be done. I am trying to buy some dead units now to repair. How is the Mog doing?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I laughed too, as in ha ha I ain't touching that %/\*÷

The big red Mog is a great truck! Kitty and I ran it all over the country for 100,000 km. The Alaskan Camper is off now to permit a little repaint. Camper is on a trailer now, probably where it will stay so the U1300 is free of its burden and a joy to drive that way. It and I will be in Knoxville Veterans Parade this Friday.

319cssb

Potting? I laugh at potting like this. I routinely repair potted parts, it takes time to learn but after the first couple it can be done. I am trying to buy some dead units now to repair.
Can you elaborate more on how you remove the potting?

aleigh

I don't laugh at potting, I tried to get it out of a CTIS module (and eventually did after making a huge mess). On the module I had, it was a sort of hard jelly if that makes sense, like a silicone, and it was a deep red / purple color. When you cut or chipped at it, it came away in crumbles, chunks. It's easy enough to get out at first but of course eventually you get down to the board and that's another story without damaging the components. I was only doing it mechanically though. I do wonder what m35-tom's method is...

319cssb

The CTIS unit I took apart a few years ago had a silicone kind of potting, too. I seriously doubt that m-35tom will disclose how he removes the material. I want to know now though, So I'll do some research.
I think he used heat to soften and melt the silicone.
I'll report back with photo's and detailed instructions
Even better, yet

Last edited:

319cssb

Thats interesting. I think to remember that the ECU in the box I took apart was facing the opposite way. I don't think the two Capacitors were facing toward the lid in my example.
**** I wish I hadn't thrown this ECU out.

aleigh

I've heard from other members on SS that they opened theirs and there was no potting. The one I opened was on the truck when I got it but I cannot be certain it was original to 1992. I ultimately replaced it with NOS, and I have not opened that one.

319cssb

That's actually a benchtop multimeter, the oscilloscope is left of that . On top of my HP 8543a power supply, haha

319cssb

They are using Low ESR Nichicon capacitors in this unit . I can't wait to see if they got out of value.
IMG_4045.jpg
So I see already I can melt this stuff with my rework station.
Good thing I got an awesome fume extractor , because these fumes are nasty. Wearing my respirator , too.
IMG_4046.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks