• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 6.5l H1 question

commandojd

1993 6.5l M998 question

Hello, I am pretty new to the H1s and was wondering if there are certain things you should avoid and or take into consideration when buying one? Im currently looking at a 1993 2 door with a 6.5l dieselt appears to be in very good shape...has about 50k miles on it. Just want to see if any of you have any insight or advice on these?
The guy is interested in trading for my fully restored m35a2

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The H1s suffered miserably from Stanadyne electronic injection pump failures, same as GM diesel vehicles of the time. Other than that, they are very similar to HMMWVs as far as reliability.

Edit: 1993 used mechanical injection unless I am mistaken.

Last edited:

papakb

50K is sort of on the high side mileage wise for a HMMWV but no where near the drop dead mileage for a diesel engine. If your looking see if it has the 4L80 4 speed trans in it. That makes them run more quietly on the road by cutting down engine noise. An easy way to tell is to look at the shifter knob, if it looks like a convoluted mushroom it's a TH400 3 speed and if the knob is cylindrical it's a 4 speed 4L80. Or just ask.............;-)

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I am pretty new to the H1s and was wondering if there are certain things you should avoid and or take into consideration when buying one? Im currently looking at a 1993 2 door with a 6.5l dieselt appears to be in very good shape...has about 50k miles on it. Just want to see if any of you have any insight or advice on these?
The guy is interested in trading for my fully restored m35a2
You may want to read this thread since your from Ohio.It may be why he wants to trade for your M35A2 that can be driven on-road in Ohio.
[h=1]OHIO BMV Changed my Street Legal Title from Virginia to Off Road USE only[/h]

tage

I don't think it's a fair trade on your part.
maybe a unimog, or something similar. hmmwv's are everywhere, and around here craigslist has plenty for sub 8k. mind you these are recent release with 6.2's and th400. nothing wrong with that, they just have original powertrains.

remember the ODO's aren't true miles. When they break they get replaced by 0 milage ones. And 50k miles is a lot of off road, and idling miles/hours. remember with all diesels, check blow by.
Also see if you can see where it came from. If it's a NTC truck. It has lived a hard life...

commandojd

I’ve looked at a few of these and the ones I’ve seen look rough! This appears to be very well kept. I’ve spent a lot of time on my m35 making it close to show room quality and don’t really want a huge project... but I do want something smaller.

tage

He said his is street legal and has a clear oh title. That was the first thing I asked
see some states will pull your registration as they deem fit since these trucks are sold as off-road use only. hence what is street legal in one state is not in another. It's a gamble on a new auction truck. especially if your m35a2 is as nice as you say it is.

see link above.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said his is street legal and has a clear oh title. That was the first thing I asked
I would make a stipulation that he go to the DMV with you and transfer both at the same time , and if they refuse to transfer and plate for on-road use
you can back out of the deal.

BLK HMMWV

Not without seeing some detailed pictures of it.
Are you planning on restoring it like you did the M35?
did the guy spray bed liner / rhino liner inside it ?
you need to crawl around under it.
Check all the fluids, check the frame rails for rust.

I'd make sure you can get it registered for the street just like the M35.
Also why does the guy want to get rid of it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks