• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering m54a2 in Washington state

mthullm54a2

I just was told that Washington state will not be allowing on road registration for military vehicles and the only thing I can do is get an orv registration has anyone else heard this I called olimpia and they confirmed it. They will be sending out letters informing owners they will not be able to drive there vehicles on the road.

Last edited:

162tcat

Haven't had any issues with mine. No letters in the mail and no problems at all. Did they quote a specific RCW? Something must have changed because they can't just wake up and decide that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mthullm54a2

They would not give me the rcw I called olimpia and went to three licencing places and they called olimpia and all got the same answer and non can give me the rcw.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just was told that Washington state will not be allowing on road registration for military vehicles and the only thing I can do is get an orv registration has anyone else heard this I called olimpia and they confirmed it. They will be sending out letters informing owners they will not be able to drive there vehicles on the road.
This is an alarming statement. I really hope that WA hasn't drank the same Kool-aid that the other dozen or so states have. It might be time for all of us to get organized...

mthullm54a2

I just got off the phone with senator short's office and they would like me to email them so they can send it to other people I read that vehicals over 25 years old do not have to conform to fmvss standard but if I can find out where this is stated it would help

162tcat

I am walking out of the license office in Olympia, just licensed a M925a2 without issue. I had the sf97 and gov planet paperwork from January of 2016. No problems at all. Issue is probably with uninformed agents or guys trying to license for business or commercial use.

162tcat

She said as long as the SF 97 from government or govplanet paperwork doesn't say "off-road use only" they will do it.

162tcat

Standard license, plate, tabs and registration. The key is none of the paperwork can say "for off-road use only".

Seq

Just got this email from DMV:

Good afternoon Corey,

Thank you for contacting us. I understand your concern regarding the vehicle. I’m not sure what ownership document you may have for your vehicle.

Decommissioned military vehicles (such as “Humvees”) sold at auction by the federal government were never manufactured to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Because of this, any decommissioned military vehicle can never be eligible for on-road use.

When sold to civilians, the federal government ownership document (Form 97) is marked as “Not suitable for highway use”. This designation requires the customer to title and license the vehicle as an off-road vehicle.

Since they receive the designation, “Not Suitable For Highway Use” Department of Licensing does not have the legal authority to approve these military vehicles for use on public roadways in Washington.

The law does not provide a process for inspecting these types of vehicles to declare them street-legal. Even if a decommissioned military vehicle owner added the features needed to meet FMVSS, Department of Licensing would still not be able to change the use type from off-road vehicle to on-road use type.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Thank you,

Donna
Customer Relations Email Team
WA Department of Licensing

DOL is in the process of modernizing our legacy systems. Please be patient with us as we transition to our new technology. Our new system (DRIVES) will be implemented on Tuesday, September 4th. You may experience slower turnaround times from now through the end of September, but we are assuring our systems and processes will serve you better. For more information visit us at DOL.WA.GOV

162tcat

Notice the key part to this is if the SF97 says "off-road use only". Just like I said above...... so before everybody panics and freaks out, just go in and ask them nicely.

Just got this email from DMV:

Good afternoon Corey,

Thank you for contacting us. I understand your concern regarding the vehicle. I’m not sure what ownership document you may have for your vehicle.

Decommissioned military vehicles (such as “Humvees”) sold at auction by the federal government were never manufactured to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Because of this, any decommissioned military vehicle can never be eligible for on-road use.

When sold to civilians, the federal government ownership document (Form 97) is marked as “Not suitable for highway use”. This designation requires the customer to title and license the vehicle as an off-road vehicle.

Since they receive the designation, “Not Suitable For Highway Use” Department of Licensing does not have the legal authority to approve these military vehicles for use on public roadways in Washington.

The law does not provide a process for inspecting these types of vehicles to declare them street-legal. Even if a decommissioned military vehicle owner added the features needed to meet FMVSS, Department of Licensing would still not be able to change the use type from off-road vehicle to on-road use type.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Thank you,

Donna
Customer Relations Email Team
WA Department of Licensing

DOL is in the process of modernizing our legacy systems. Please be patient with us as we transition to our new technology. Our new system (DRIVES) will be implemented on Tuesday, September 4th. You may experience slower turnaround times from now through the end of September, but we are assuring our systems and processes will serve you better. For more information visit us at DOL.WA.GOV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks