Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 94 hmmwv

Thanks
    Thanked 3,797 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biggdadd58 View Post
    Basic questions aren't the same as having the ability to fix or repair, thus the reason for questions about something someone is not familiar with. I didn't know before talking to the guy selling the unit didn't have the answers for my questions.Maybe, just maybe, this could be a diamond in the ruff, who knows. So if my questions are so basic and my lack of knowledge upsets you that bad, maybe you should just overlook my ignorance.
    A good way to overcome " your ignorance" as you put is spend some time reading the forum and educate yourself . almost every thread will have peoples experience and the pros and cons . The amount of effort you put in learning about them before you buy will directly effect how much you spend after you buy . These were designed at operate at a convoy speed of 45 mph not 70 mph down the highway. If you do some reading and with what has already been posted in each of your threads buy one with a JEP 6.5 and 480le transmission if you want high speeds . Most everyone who has upgraded one will tell it is cheaper to spend the money up front than upgrade a 6.2 3 speed.

Corporal
    Thanks

Very well put, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    The problem with the seller not knowing what engine/trans combination he has and whether it is original, field-modified, or after-market modified, is it raises red flags that he's flipping it and probably has done VERY little maintenance beyond an engine oil change. It took me several days of evenings and a weekend to do the complete lube order on my ride once I took possession. It was straightforward, but not fast or necessarily cheap. By doing all that I confirmed every detail of the power train, knew what I had to repair/replace in the near term and also found several little things that could have become big things if left to fester.

The seller does not appear to respect his rig, and whether it's a diamond in the rough or a snake in the grass is unclear. A lot of people tried flipping these during the brief heyday of GovPlanet sales. Many were not worth the asking price and had no proper preventive maintenance done.

Unless it's drive-able and well under $10K it could be a nightmare. They are all money pits to one degree or another, they are industrial equipment, they are not inexpensive toys.

We're trying to help you manage your expectations.

I personally don't have issue with the "no test drives" stance, I don't let people drive my HMMWV without an open field handy or some indication they've ever been around one. For the inexperienced, it's tricky handling an 8' wide vehicle while sitting very off to the left side as compared to a normal civvy vehicle. There is some mental recalibration needed.

If you can do a recon and bring back some pictures and observations, this group can give you a lot more detail to chew on. We're spitballing here, so answers will vary widely.

If you feel like a nice (long-ish) drive next weekend, the Glen Allen VA VFW (near Richmond) is having their Tanks and Trucks event from 10-4 on Saturday the 17th. There will be multiple HMMWVs there, including mine, and you can get to know one in person. PM for details if interested.

Bulldogger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggdadd58 View Post
    Basic questions aren't the same as having the ability to fix or repair, thus the reason for questions about something someone is not familiar with. I didn't know before talking to the guy selling the unit didn't have the answers for my questions.Maybe, just maybe, this could be a diamond in the ruff, who knows. So if my questions are so basic and my lack of knowledge upsets you that bad, maybe you should just overlook my ignorance.
    So far your questions are so basic as showing you have not read anything on this forum and you're not aware of even basic things like transmission options AND you've asked questions about swapping in 4 speed trannies, which is a Herculean job. You've also said you don't feel comfortable looking over certain things and are requesting assistance. You also said you're not someone who wrenches or works on stuff.

You've been on the site less than 2 months and its apparent that even when looking for a car you don't see giant red flags when a HMMWV owner doesn't know things like 3 or 4 speed in his vehicle for sale.

You mention it might be a "diamond-in-the-rough", but you haven't even see it OR been allowed to drive it, AND the owner sounds like he doesn't want to let you drive it pre-purchase.

GIANT RED FLAGS.

I'm not here trying to beat up on you. I'm trying to save you a World of hurt and pain and $$$$$$.

Stick around, search the forum, read posts for the next couple of months, and silently lurk around to see the problems others are dealing with, ESPECIALLY with Winter weather on the way.

Buying an old Dodge is easy, you can have a dealership service it to bail you out in an emergency. Not so easy with a HUMMWV. And unless you're a Rockefeller, you will need to wrench or pay $$$$$$.

Just look up PCB and see that just a simple protective control unit, a unit that is essential to operate these rigs, is a $700 headache waiting to happen. Then look up my posts trying to wrap my head around creating a PCB bypass to see there is a lot to know just about this stupid little box that we cannot yet live without. Then there are stuck and broken glow plugs, power steering hydraulics used to operate power brakes, fuel pumps and fuel injection pumps that break down, stuck doors, broken directional controls, 24 Volt starters... The list is endless on these old vehicles that have been rode hard and put to sleep wet every working day of their lives.

SO if a guy has a car for sale and won't let you drive it and he doesn't know what kind of transmission he is running and you don't see red flags, I see a setup for disaster. You're the one I'm looking out for, not me.

AND, as you want to walk blindly into this lion's den AND you want to take insult in my attempts to help AND you make statements like "maybe you should just overlook ignorance", maybe you're missing the point and getting your skirt blown up for sake of not understanding.

Your choice. Buy a lemon from an owner who won't answer your questions, or trust some free advice that is warning you that you seem to be unprepared at this point in time to purchase a HMMWV because you need to do more homework.

Your $. And you know what they say about fools and $ and ultimate separation of the 2.

There is a member who reminds all that there are 500K HMMWV's out there, all waiting to be purchased by one of us at some point in time. There is no rush to have to buy one now. My feeling is why are you rushing things when at this point in time you don't even know what you don't know.

If you want, I will not bother you again, or offer advice and such ever again.
    Last edited by TOBASH; 11-10-2018 at 17:37.
    T.O.B.A.S.H - When we feel frustrated with those around us. LOL

The Great Wall of China is regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. What is wrong with The Greatest Country in The World building its own???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,406 Posts

Well, 33 posts and the original poster must have got all your messages by now/..........
    I don't know, I just innocent bystander here.
    The facts have been laid out for all to see.
    How could We do better?
    But there should be pictures for the General and there is none.
    Maybe it is all fake news?
    I was here, had a good time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frank8003 For This Useful Post:

TOBASH (11-09-2018)

Corporal
    Thanks

To a point, there are answers. As far as pictures and the "fake news" comment, not sure of what you are saying. I thought the point of forums was to communicate. My apologies to all!
    Quote Originally Posted by frank8003 View Post
    Well, 33 posts and the original poster must have got all your messages by now/..........
    I don't know, I just innocent bystander here.
    The facts have been laid out for all to see.
    How could We do better?
    But there should be pictures for the General and there is none.
    Maybe it is all fake news?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4