• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saved by the lmtv

319cssb

My LMTV to the rescue. The new neighbors got their moving truck stuck on the downhill slope. They called a tow company they couldn't do anything with their truck. But they had chains with them.
IMG_4027.jpg
IMG_4020.jpg
(first I pulled the truck back and out away from the slope)
IMG_4022.jpg
(when they tried to drove out , the truck started to slip toward the slope again, so we decided to use the LMTV to pull the front of the penske truck around)
IMG_4025.jpg
(the truck driver had his foot on the brakes, whilst I pulled the truck sideways SMH. snapped the chain in three pieces. They found two, one section was still missing)
IMG_4021.jpg
(what was left was a big mess, I don't know if you can appreciate how steep the incline was)
IMG_4024.jpg

Update: I had to upload each photo separately for some reason to make it work.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer! There is a sticky about how to upload pics to the site.............IDK, but might check with that...................I'd like to see 'em

319cssb

I've uploaded many pictures before, but suddenly, when I pick the files, press load there is the usual spinning circle and then nothing. Obviously a glitch on the site, but still annoying

snowtrac nome

The lmtv is a pulling machine. last winter I pulled a case w24 that had slid off the road back on it and a month ago I pulled a 12 yard end dump out of a soft spot it had sunk its front axle into.

319cssb

I dont think i can agree to the statement of an LMTV being a "pulling machine" there are certainly better driveline configurations that work far better for this task.
An lmtv's classic mission is to carry light to medium loads.

russojap

That looks like a disaster from the get go. I would like to think that I wouldn't have even considered driving that penske truck down there, but who knows. I wonder how a deuce would have handled pulling the truck out.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I know as far as tractive force my 1st gen dodge ctd had mor pulling ability than a duce with a ss water tank on it. Had they filled the water tank before trying to pull the dozer the outcome might have been different.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 4x4 lmtv can easily pull 34000lbs of concrete on a metal sheet. Probably 40k plus. As long as you have traction in low range its a beast.

319cssb

That person probably never drove a truck of that size. If I hadn't been on the street with gearing on low and shifted in 1st gear, then i eouldnt even have tried. I think a deuce, or a MTV would be much better equipped for this. But luckily it worked out and nothing broke

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Its all about lift. You have the taller vehicle so even with a little distance you are still pulling up to release the suction over pulling dead on. Even soft stuff your tires are better suited for it than his. Even pulling him from the front you could have easily pulled up bumper to bumper with him and still pulled him out fairly easy in low range reverse.. probably at idle.

aleigh

It's easy to laugh at the guy, but I had this bit of land once that had a patch on it, the magical patch, and on this magical patch, 350 days out of the year, you could drive right over it with just about anything. But on those other days, just depending on how the rain and I guess the ground water had been, it'd swallow a lmtv to the axle in a blink. You could drive all around in circles all day but the moment you went in this ~ 300 sqft area on one of those days you were cooked.

BTW if you loved this thread, look into "superstar drivers of the oil patch" on the book of faces...

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 4.04.53 PM.jpg

wandering neurons

Yup, there's those that have stuck an LMTV, and those that haven't yet. I've stuck mine. Maryland got a ton of rain early this year. Goliath (my M1081) was in the back of the yard, I wanted to drive it that day. Bad idea. The ground was so soggy that Goliath barely motivated out of its parking spot, and I was trying to make shallow turns. Too shallow, I got on a side-slope and slid the truck down the slope, rested it on the tree before it hit the back porch. Fortunately, the SRW was up to the task of extraction until I got close to the road, with no anchors. My Zombie Truck with an additional driver helped pull Goliath and I the final 20 feet to the road. But it was slow, muddy, and I left some awesome ruts in the yard that still haven't recovered!
IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And they find their way into the ocean sometimes as well and a SS member CSM Davis has to go in for the recovery

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wandering neurons

Yup, got the Self-Recovery Winch, multiple snatch blocks and straps. Prior to getting the truck stuck, I skidded a 40' CONEX (shipping container) across the yard using the winch and snatch blocks. Just a few weeks ago I was way up in the Colorado mountains skidding logs uphill and loading them into the truck for a coworker. Said coworker is building a house up there for his family, and the wood went to a mill. Will be recovering more lumber over the following months using winch and hoist, weather-permitting...

Helps to have a winch

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dump as much air out of the tire as it will let you. You’ll be amazed at where they’ll go and pull...IMG_5625.jpgIMG_5626.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks