• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv spin on fuel filter conversion

tage

Yeah you can get threaded male to barbed male for ease of the fuel line fitment. The question though is the mechanical fuel pump adequate enough to run it through one of those filters without a lift pump....

Lazboytt

Hello for those adapters I do not see that you can install the pressure switch is there a place to mount it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lazboytt

Just installed the spin on fuel filter no issues. This one also has the built in water separator

Dock Rocker

If you go through the trouble of putting on a spin on filter setup, why wouldn’t you move it to a place that makes it easier to get to? That’s just slightly less difficult than the factory setup.

NormB

Well, if you read about the travails of the MEP-series genset owners who have done everything short of disassembling their units to remove the fuel/water separator, you might think thrice about putting one in your Humvee.

I got lucky. I only needed to use a TEKTON filter wrench, which still mangled the filter a lot.

For the time/trouble/infrequent change of filter advised, I decided to stick with the stock/OEM HMMWV unit myself.

On my gensets, I've installed a WIX 50 micron diesel PREfilter (3972 Napa Gold Fuel Filter/33972 WIX) as the pumps SUCK from the tank through that filter, not PUMP under pressure as with the downstream ones (there are two), very unlikely to develop any leaking from tank to pump through this filter.

q2vL6YE6Riu+zIeIEalhQg.jpg

If you're that concerned about stuff getting into your filter/water separator, that might be a way to go, placing one between the tank and the lift pump on the block.

Of course, YMMV, one per customer, there's one born every minute, this way to the egress, you pays your money you takes your chances.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Skip the STE/ICE sender (as nothing to do with operations) and slap something useful on like a real gauge. Now you can check on those pesky fuel issues, anywhere. Mine runs 6-7 PSI with typical flutter of the pumping action. $14 dollars for good info when thing are going wrong out on the trail.

Got fuel, let's GOoooo, CAMO

Standard fuel filter. simple elbow, small 14 dollars 0-16 PSI, oil filled gauge @ the Epay.
IMG_5510.jpg

Pop the hood and take a peek. What's wrong here?? Engine off. No guessing.
IMG_5514.jpg

Running engine and check.IMG_6400.jpg

NOTE: Small gauge to the left behind wiring harness. Guess what? Real OIL PRESSURE to be sure.

IMG_6401.jpg

NO BS Engine info. In the bulls-eye !! IMG_6407.jpg

What else could go wrong? Don't answer that, CAMO

Last edited:

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skip the STE/ICE sender (as nothing to do with operations) and slap something useful on like a real gauge. Now you can check on those pesky fuel issues, anywhere. Mine runs 6-7 PSI with typical flutter of the pumping action. $14 dollars for good info when thing are going wrong out on the trail.

Got fuel, let's GOoooo, CAMO

Standard fuel filter. simple elbow, small 14 dollars 0-16 PSI, oil filled gauge @ the Epay.
View attachment 749239

Pop the hood and take a peek. What's wrong here?? Engine off. No guessing.
View attachment 749240

Running engine and check.View attachment 749247

NOTE: Small gauge to the left behind wiring harness. Guess what? Real OIL PRESSURE to be sure.

View attachment 749248

NO BS Engine info. In the bulls-eye !! View attachment 749249

What else could go wrong? Don't answer that, CAMO
Where exactly is the Oil pressure gauge hooked up?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Tee off the factory oil pressure sender. Fab up a simple bracket off the block to hold guage, Then route a short piece of tubing to mechanical gauge. Simple. The gauges I used are oil filled about $17 each. I didn't want them in the cab. The thought 🤔 was to double check during maintenance hood UP.

I trust MY military ones. YMMV, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left rear and top of engine block, between the oil pump drive and the #7 intake runner.
If it is a turbo motor it will have a stainless steel hose attached to the block with the sending unit on the end of the hose.

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left rear and top of engine block, between the oil pump drive and the #7 intake runner.
If it is a turbo motor it will have a stainless steel hose attached to the block with the sending unit on the end of the hose.
Fuel filter water separator ...........

Anyone ever used this one?

I drained the fuel filter yesterday and this is what came out......
might have to drop, clean or replace fuel tank?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks