• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally enough Stew & Stev to write about?

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I purchased an M1078 from the state of Arkansas, a couple months back, mentioned it in an article. I have since driven it the 23 hrs back to Colorado Springs, taken it to the Elk Mountain Reserve over in Gunnison at 11,000 ft, seriously used the all wheel drive and worked on various minor problems. Since then I bought an M1083 from the state of Texas and a Tractor out in Utah. I love the vehicle, it as I expected " a large slow vehicle". Currently trying to figure out where to get a snorkel for the air intake to make 2 into 1.

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I haven't encountered a lot of the problems I've seen posted. I went to Progressive commercial and they didn't bat an eye giving me insurance, make sure you tell them the vehicle is for personal use, not commercial, big difference in price. No problems with tires, though I know with the all wheel drive, they need to be pretty close in wear on both sides of the axle. One of the pressure lines to the front axle broke where the 45 brass fitting screws into the axle, wasn't hard to replace, but is that a common problem?

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great truck, kind of scary that people want to go racing around in them. Stopping 9 tons of vehicle is never quick or easy and at high speeds with wide tires you are only going to get so much grip. Put a load or trailer behind it and you have a rodeo.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I haven't encountered a lot of the problems I've seen posted. I went to Progressive commercial and they didn't bat an eye giving me insurance, make sure you tell them the vehicle is for personal use, not commercial, big difference in price. No problems with tires, though I know with the all wheel drive, they need to be pretty close in wear on both sides of the axle. One of the pressure lines to the front axle broke where the 45 brass fitting screws into the axle, wasn't hard to replace, but is that a common problem?

In my opinion the brake fittings for done wrong. They used pipe thread to get into the brake chambers and used a larger female pipe adapter on top of that then use a T with 2 or sometimes 1 JIC fitting on it and a pipe fitting. It is all pretty small stuff so even the slightest stress breaks it. I would use a male Pipe to JIC female union on the brake can and then a 3 way male JIC T so that you can put all the fittings on together and you arent torquing too much with a wrench in that tight area. Only the swivel on the union and the JIC hoses spin.

aleigh

I purchased an M1078 from the state of Arkansas, a couple months back, mentioned it in an article. I have since driven it the 23 hrs back to Colorado Springs, taken it to the Elk Mountain Reserve over in Gunnison at 11,000 ft, seriously used the all wheel drive and worked on various minor problems. Since then I bought an M1083 from the state of Texas and a Tractor out in Utah. I love the vehicle, it as I expected " a large slow vehicle". Currently trying to figure out where to get a snorkel for the air intake to make 2 into 1.
Does your CTIS work? Ha ha...

My truck was solid no problems for maybe 15-20k miles and then it all started, just like everyone says. They are great trucks though, it just is what it is, they are old and sat around. Get on top of it when it does go wrong and you're going to be in great shape.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally when you start patting yourself on the back Murphy's not far behind . You haven't had them long enough him to catch you.

snowtrac nome

mine is at 30 k now with no problems. I Did have to replace a drive line ,had one slip yoke that didn't take grease the starter drive is heading south, but the new one just arrived, and of course the door handle issue for the conditions I drive in the truck has been solid and reliable. the mvt's and awd is awesome in the snow and ice.

wandering neurons

Forget the water buffalo, load some International Product Containers (270 gal) in the bed for your water needs. You can always remove them, they aren't very heavy when empty and they're pretty inexpensive. And they make good ballast when full.

This lull in your LMTV spending since yours works is an excellent time to buy a trailer though. Just saying. I still "need" a water buffalo...

View attachment 747462

wandering neurons

Welcome to the Board and the LMTV Family! I still owe you a phone call and visit! Wife is coming to visit this weekend, so that's out. Will reach out next week for certain! Oh, and you need to post a pic (or three) of your truck!

I've had no major problems driving the truck around here. The streets are reasonable-sized other than some downtown and in the hills. I just hug the right lane, or drive on the shoulder to let the speed demons pass. Plus, I've got a full light bar on the roof as a slow-moving vehicle when on the highways or at night. But more fun is driving on the dirt roads and in the mountains! Get lots of waves (no middle fingers) from pickup drivers and military folks. And more fun staring down into convertibles! Plus lots of comments in general, when parked at stores or the gas station. People seem fascinated by the giant ex-Mil truck owned by a civilian. "Why do you have it", "what do you do with it", "how much did it cost", and "how's the gas mileage" are the common questions. Same as when I had an M35 years ago.

Great truck, kind of scary that people want to go racing around in them. Stopping 9 tons of vehicle is never quick or easy and at high speeds with wide tires you are only going to get so much grip. Put a load or trailer behind it and you have a rodeo.

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I keep forgetting to snap pics and migrate them to the computer. I'm thinking really hard about migrating the 15K from the big truck to my LMTV. My son took a video of me climbing a talus slope over on the western side of the mountains, I should probably put that up. There does seem to be a water fetish trend here though.

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need also to put her up and adjust the brakes, their not doing as good as they should. Always something. Headed to Arkansas to recover an M1009 from GSA in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks