• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking hubs

CHM

I m sure this has been posted before but I did a search and did not find anything. I have a 53 REO M35 that I was curious about putting manual locking hubs on. Does anybody have a link or part number and where to price or even start to where to look for them? I am not dead set on getting them and am weighing the pros and cons.

rustystud

I m sure this has been posted before but I did a search and did not find anything. I have a 53 REO M35 that I was curious about putting manual locking hubs on. Does anybody have a link or part number and where to price or even start to where to look for them? I am not dead set on getting them and am weighing the pros and cons.
"Ouverson" sells them. Pricy though. Here, http://www.ouversonusa.com/

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your 53 likely has a spray transfer case. If it does, lockouts are of very little value.

CHM

I do not know a whole lot about these as this is my first one. Why would they be of little use on the spray transfer case? Not arguing or anything just curious how the spray operate and why they would be of little use.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know a whole lot about these as this is my first one. Why would they be of little use on the spray transfer case? Not arguing or anything just curious how the spray operate and why they would be of little use.
Because the sprag unit sends power to what ever axle spins , with louts the front drive line would be under power all the time , just not giving the wheels power because of the lockouts.

rustystud

Your 53 likely has a spray transfer case. If it does, lockouts are of very little value.
Actually "lockout" hubs will prevent wear on the front differential as the wheels are constantly turning the axle shafts thus the differential gears. Also it would help with steering as the axles turning creates a "drag" or "shimmy" on the steering at high speeds. Just ask anyone who has a 4X4 who left his hubs locked.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally would stay away from them. I have them on my truck and do not like the fact that they allow moisture into the hub and have caused rust multiple times. I have replaced the gaskets multiple times with the same turn out every time. Last issue I had was they would not lock because of the moisture and rust. Had to disassemble the locking mechanism and clean it all out in the sand. I personally wish I had the factory flanges still (but I sold them).

Last edited:

CHM

Thanks to all for the advice and information. After reading the forums and giving it some thought I believe that I will not get them and put the money into the truck somewhere else.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pros are, it will save on frontend wear, tire wear and fuel mileage (providing you have a air-shift t-case).

The cons are mainly price, and if you have a sprag case it will cause your t-case to be engaged all the time.

In my opinion, unless you are driving a bunch of miles and have a air t-case, save your money.

rustystud

I personally would stay away from them. I have them on my truck and do not like the fact that they allow moisture into the gun and have cause rust in multiple occasions. I have replaced the gaskets multiple times with the same turn out every time. Last issue I had was they would not lock because of the moisture and rust. Had to disassemble the locking mechanism and clean it all out in the sand. I personally wish I had the factory flanges still (but I sold them).

What kind of lock-out hubs do you have ? Ouverson's or ATM ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually "lockout" hubs will prevent wear on the front differential as the wheels are constantly turning the axle shafts thus the differential gears. Also it would help with steering as the axles turning creates a "drag" or "shimmy" on the steering at high speeds. Just ask anyone who has a 4X4 who left his hubs locked.
Actually, lockout hubs on a sprag (overrunning clutch) truck won't help. All those parts that lockout hubs reduce wear on will still be turning. The sprag will engage and turn everything in the front differential. Unless you remove the front driveshaft or swap to an air shift case, it will all be turning. I own many trucks with lockouts and they stay locked in most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks