• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 or 6.5

biggdadd58

I realize that I am still learning about these things and apologize for all the questions. What are the pros and cons between these 2 engines? I would like to be able to drive at least 60 mph with what I purchase. I am looking for advice before looking to purchase. If you have any input, please put it out there. Or if you would be willing to talk on the phone, please message.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize that I am still learning about these things and apologize for all the questions. What are the pros and cons between these 2 engines? I would like to be able to drive at least 60 mph with what I purchase. I am looking for advice before looking to purchase. If you have any input, please put it out there. Or if you would be willing to talk on the phone, please message.
You probably should pick 1 of your threads on the same thing instead of cross-posting the same thing with different titles and keep all the information in 1 thread.

Difference between M988 and the M998A1

[h=1]94 hmmwv[/h]
[h=1]2 Questions: Block Heaters, and 12V/24V Jump Starting[/h]
[h=1]Mileage[/h]

Transmission Swap

Last edited:

biggdadd58

Not sure how or if posting in the same thread would get questions answered. The reason for this one was to be able to hear the pros and cons between both engine combinations from actual owners.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a sustained 60mph then you want a 4spd transmission. Neither the 6.2 nor the 6.5 will be happy at 60 for long with the 3spd behind it.

Personally I don't see a huge difference between the 6.2 and the 6.5.

GEP engines are to be preferred, but this is well down the list of priorities. Well below overall condition.

biggdadd58

What is a GEP engine?
If you want a sustained 60mph then you want a 4spd transmission. Neither the 6.2 nor the 6.5 will be happy at 60 for long with the 3spd behind it.

Personally I don't see a huge difference between the 6.2 and the 6.5.

GEP engines are to be preferred, but this is well down the list of priorities. Well below overall condition.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sticker on the drivers side valve cover is the easiest way for the untrained eye. It will sat GEP or if it is a GM it will say Detroit Diesel

2deuce

Maybe this has been discussed already, but did GEP make both engines? and if they made the 6.2 were they in the CUCV too? How were the GEP engines better? Thanks

papakb

My understanding is that GM (actually Detroit Diesel) made the 6.2L engines from 1982 until 1993 to put behind their trucks and AMG adapted it for use in the HMMWV. When they needed more power GM upped the displacement to 6.5L and built them for a much shorter period than the 6.2's. When they discontinued production AMG bought the production rights and produced them under the General Engine Products name and corrected all the manufacturing issues GM refused to address.

The easiest way to identify the GEP engines is by looking at the bolt that retains the tachometer/ STE/Ice drive in the back of the block valley. If the hold down bolt is on the right side it is a GEP engine and the "right one" for the trucks. If the hold down bolt is to the left of the drive it's the older 6.2L engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks