• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a HEMTT in NC on impulse. Advice wanted

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on it! I think you got a great deal, are you going to use it or resale it?
I certainly didn't buy it to flip it, I bought to it to drive it. But I know they are out there and I can always find another if I sell it. I like to race motorcycles, and that gets expensive. So having some extra cash for that never hurts.

aleigh

I certainly didn't buy it to flip it, I bought to it to drive it. But I know they are out there and I can always find another if I sell it. I like to race motorcycles, and that gets expensive. So having some extra cash for that never hurts.
I can see the CL ad already, "want to swap HEMTT, clean title, runs good, for Pangiale V4S"

Also, we really need pictures...

fasttruck

If you plan to drive it be sure to lube ALL the u-joints The one between the transmission and transfer case is the highest up when you are under the truck and is the most likely to lack lubrication. A u joint failure here on the road will be a character building experience.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auction company said it started and moved. JR Martin transport is picking it up and bringing it up mid week. I'll take some photos once it has arrived.

CimmonsGuy

Its more expensive to ship into New England due to lack of loads going out of here... This guy came in $1000 lower than anybody else for me "Rodger 1-954-549-5264" Nationwide Transport. He just did a job for me this week. shipped my FLU419 from Indiana to New Hampshire. I impulse bought that on monday:roll:.... Good Luck I almost made that move a few years ago... IM JEALOUS.....

Gunzy

Gman, welcome to the HEMTT club which is a small one. I have an M985 cargo and enjoy it. I use it for car shows and charity events. Funny thing is it cost me more to pay the annual registration here in Utah than I pay for insurance. Have fun and can't wait to see picture.

cwedge411

Thats cheap. It'll cost you half that if you break down and get off the highway.

I'm in mass, I broke down in my F350 dually and to goto Uxbridge to taunton was going to be $400 because commercial dually.

First Veritread quotes are in

$3200 for a Silver Carrier
$5k for Gold Carrier

I figured they would be a tad cheaper. My initial, uneducated idea, is to prep it down in NC and drive it back. If she breaks down I'd just pay for the shipping. A one time $600 hit on towing for a road trip in this thing might be worth the risk (I thought a tow might be well over $1000). But shipping it up here might be the most likely route.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did you read post #4 ?
Post 4 says congratulations on the new truck.

6 says various dents. however when i get the reply to the post it only shows what was quoted to me not everyone else. Those aren't various dents. those are structural bashes. Makes ya wonder if gimpy was involved in any type of rollover with it.

Last edited:

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post 4 says congratulations on the new truck.

6 says various dents. however when i get the reply to the post it only shows what was quoted to me not everyone else. Those aren't various dents. those are structural bashes. Makes ya wonder if gimpy was involved in any type of rollover with it.
It was used in for refueling mining equipment. I'd imagine it is just from hitting crap in/around the mines. I'm hoping they can be removed.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You paid $ 2,500 for that monster??? That is scrap value or even less. That's not an impulsive buy but a good investment. Who cares about dents, gives it a really used military look. Also, you can start a steel band with some people inside hammering the dents out. Or use this technique with plungers to get the dents out. Great for filling and emptying your swimming pool, even better than Wreckerman's fire truck.

Have fun.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You paid $ 2,500 for that monster??? That is scrap value or even less. That's not an impulsive buy but a good investment. Who cares about dents, gives it a really used military look. Also, you can start a steel band with some people inside hammering the dents out. Or use this technique with plungers to get the dents out. Great for filling and emptying your swimming pool, even better than Wreckerman's fire truck.

Have fun.
I paid more than that, but one went for that cheap.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching that sale and had a friend in person there onsite. Did you buy the ‘89 model or the ‘85 with a blown head gasket? If you have a change of heart let me know I would be interested in it. I’ve felt defeated all afternoon about not buying the one with a blown head gasket for the price it sold for and the condition it was in. I really like the extra lube equipment added to them.
Do you know what the set up does, exactly?

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck was delivered earlier today. Looks like it needs brakes, tires, and probably a few small things.

But the transmission is slipping, which isn't good. Hopefully just a fluid/filter change.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Truck was delivered earlier today. Looks like it needs brakes, tires, and probably a few small things.

But the transmission is slipping, which isn't good. Hopefully just a fluid/filter change.
Sucky part is that they just sold a ton of those transmissions on GL right before they lost their contract. Like 30 to 50 a week new in the cans. Can help with the tires if you are in need just shoot me a PM.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sucky part is that they just sold a ton of those transmissions on GL right before they lost their contract. Like 30 to 50 a week new in the cans. Can help with the tires if you are in need just shoot me a PM.

****, that’s tough. Looks like $4k or so on eBay, bet they sold for half that on GL.

snowtrac nome

To maintain the certification for transport of fuel on the road repairs to the shell will have to be done by some one with national tank transport ct number than re tested for a vk and ip inspection. you only need the cert for transport of hazmat liquids. if you are going to haul water than get a porta power and hammer and beat it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks