• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a HEMTT in NC on impulse. Advice wanted

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not in the market and was not planning on making a purchase, but I made an impulse buy on a 1989 M978 HEMTT Tanker truck at auction.

It should run and drive. I’ve been in contact with the company that owned it, and although the guy isn’t positive he said it was running fine last time it was used.

It was used heavily in off road mining, but the price was great and it has had $180,000 in service with the company. They tried selling the truck a few times for a lot more money than it sold for.

They are pretty strict about getting it out of there in a matter of days. I’d prefer to get it title and insured first (waiting to hear on shipping) if I drive it back to MA.

Just want to know what you guys think. I’d like to get it to AH Recon up here, who I’ve heard nothing but good things about, but if it drive over ship, I’m thinking of having a place down there change fluids first.

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Get ahold of member NewEra. He is in NC and has a lot of big heavy trucks and maybe can help you depending on where in NC

aleigh

... these things happen. You didn't mention your mechanical skill level, but my general feeling is don't self recover a truck in an unknown state without thorough fluid checks especially in the driveline, etc. You can learn how or take someone experienced, the latter being better. Have the funds available and a lead on the shipping in all cases, even if you try to drive it, in case it breaks down. A truck like that is going to incur substantial recovery costs from the side of the road. Lotta horror stories on the board that tried to get trucks home. Some success stories too. Luck of the draw.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get ahold of member NewEra. He is in NC and has a lot of big heavy trucks and maybe can help you depending on where in NC
Roger that, will do.
... these things happen. You didn't mention your mechanical skill level, but my general feeling is don't self recover a truck in an unknown state without thorough fluid checks especially in the driveline, etc. You can learn how or take someone experienced, the latter being better. Have the funds available and a lead on the shipping in all cases, even if you try to drive it, in case it breaks down. A truck like that is going to incur substantial recovery costs from the side of the road. Lotta horror stories on the board that tried to get trucks home. Some success stories too. Luck of the draw.
Yeah, I am very curious what a 20 mile tow will cost off the highway. I can work on motorcycles decently well, something like this, no chance.
Congratulations on the new truck!
Thank you sir!
Well if your going to start (jump in) Large, then large is what youv'e done. Post some pictures, and of course, of the trip.
Sure will. Auction photos aren't any good so I'll wait till I can get a better view. Only thing I am disappointed in is some various dents along the tank. But for the price, I can't really complain.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
HEMTT recovery is the same as any Class III wrecker to haul it as it would be a semi. About $400 to $600 to get it to a reasonable service place within reasonable mileage. It just depends on where you are and how far you are from everything.

Where in NC is it located?

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEMTT recovery is the same as any Class III wrecker to haul it as it would be a semi. About $400 to $600 to get it to a reasonable service place within reasonable mileage. It just depends on where you are and how far you are from everything.

Where in NC is it located?
Charlotte Speedway which I think is technically in Concord, NC.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First Veritread quotes are in

$3200 for a Silver Carrier
$5k for Gold Carrier

I figured they would be a tad cheaper. My initial, uneducated idea, is to prep it down in NC and drive it back. If she breaks down I'd just pay for the shipping. A one time $600 hit on towing for a road trip in this thing might be worth the risk (I thought a tow might be well over $1000). But shipping it up here might be the most likely route.

aleigh

First Veritread quotes are in

$3200 for a Silver Carrier
$5k for Gold Carrier

I figured they would be a tad cheaper. My initial, uneducated idea, is to prep it down in NC and drive it back. If she breaks down I'd just pay for the shipping. A one time $600 hit on towing for a road trip in this thing might be worth the risk (I thought a tow might be well over $1000). But shipping it up here might be the most likely route.
Others with more experience might chime in but part of the issue there I believe is they have to go on a RGN or similar trailer due to the height of the truck. It can be more trouble and cost sometimes vs. just a regular flatbed. The truck also needs to work in order to load and unload it or you need a wrecker. Imagine a trucker getting paid by the mile with your dead truck on his flatbed... Hopefully you are familiar with the air systems and everything too, enough to make it work, and can cage brakes. You can learn about that stuff if you don't know already, or a wrecker guy will also know, if you call one out.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the timeline for getting it recovered? Between NewEra ( he sold his 916 though) and a few of us lots of places to get it to fairly easy. I'm about 65 miles I think from Concord. A&H (Matt) is a great shop!

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully you are familiar with the air systems and everything too, enough to make it work, and can cage brakes. You can learn about that stuff if you don't know already, or a wrecker guy will also know, if you call one out.
If it is more complicated the breaks in my GMC Sierra, then that’s a big no.

What is the timeline for getting it recovered? Between NewEra ( he sold his 916 though) and a few of us lots of places to get it to fairly easy. I'm about 65 miles I think from Concord. A&H (Matt) is a great shop!
Auction terms say they want it out in a matter of days. So the immediate plan is to find a place to move it where I can keep it for 7-10 days until I get down there or have it shipped.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
An 1089 wrecker can handle it on a towbar. Or if i could get over there I could towbar it to a storage location. I just don't see myself over there soon enough though.

aleigh

Auction terms say they want it out in a matter of days. So the immediate plan is to find a place to move it where I can keep it for 7-10 days until I get down there or have it shipped.
Well one thing you can do is call a wrecker to move it to a yard (like a truck stop, etc). If you call around you can probably find a place - one way to do that is to call the wrecker and then ask where it can go. Often they'll know a place or the wrecker himself will have a yard. There'll be a storage fee but often it's reasonable and it'll move you forward in your endeavor. I ran into this when I had a LMTV at the side of the road with spun bearings in a faraway place.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gman I just love a great IMPULSE BUY and for sure a HEMTT ranks just about as high as you can go! Now just get the truck prepped and start having fun!
Karl

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching that sale and had a friend in person there onsite. Did you buy the ‘89 model or the ‘85 with a blown head gasket? If you have a change of heart let me know I would be interested in it. I’ve felt defeated all afternoon about not buying the one with a blown head gasket for the price it sold for and the condition it was in. I really like the extra lube equipment added to them.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching that sale and had a friend in person there onsite. Did you buy the ‘89 model or the ‘85 with a blown head gasket? If you have a change of heart let me know I would be interested in it. I’ve felt defeated all afternoon about not buying the one with a blown head gasket for the price it sold for and the condition it was in. I really like the extra lube equipment added to them.

Is he still nearby? Does he want to make a buck.

yeah, $2500 is unreal.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought the 89. Trying not to change my heart, hoping I can verify it starts and moves. Shouldn’t be that hard after I know that.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on it! I think you got a great deal, are you going to use it or resale it?

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on it! I think you got a great deal, are you going to use it or resale it?
I plan on just driving it around, maybe doing a few events. That's it.

Auction company was able to start it and throw it in gear, just need to find a shipper. Waiting for confirmation from JR Martin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks