• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a HEMTT in NC on impulse. Advice wanted

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To maintain the certification for transport of fuel on the road repairs to the shell will have to be done by some one with national tank transport ct number than re tested for a vk and ip inspection. you only need the cert for transport of hazmat liquids. if you are going to haul water than get a porta power and hammer and beat it out.
No plans to use the tank at the moment. Would be nice though to figure out a way to make a few bucks on the side using this truck.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A small update...

Haven't seen the truck in person yet, but it is in good hands. Been too busy and the weather hasn't helped.

It was driven off the trailer, and then a few miles to another location. Matt @ A&H Recon said the transmission was slipping, a few tires need to be replaced, brakes were bad, and the engine had some blow by. A bit surprised since this company wanted $40,000 for the truck initially, and it had $180k in work done to it over the years. But it was heavily used, so I can't be too surprised. We'll dive deeper into the engine & tranny when it gets nicer out.

I got lucky and found a transmission on GP for $500. It was listed correctly, but some of the pictures showed at Cat transmission (M916) so I think it scared some people off. Was just delivered to Matt, so that's one less thing to worry about. I plan on putting full synthetic ATF in it, not motor oil like the military used (and I guess Allison even recommends?).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Post 4 says congratulations on the new truck.

6 says various dents. however when i get the reply to the post it only shows what was quoted to me not everyone else. Those aren't various dents. those are structural bashes. Makes ya wonder if gimpy was involved in any type of rollover with it.
I resemble that remark...

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to check it out Sunday. It was a lot of fun seeing on of these trucks up close. The oil system on the side will be coming off when I put a new tranny in, if anyone is interested in buying it.

Matt will be going through the truck in the next few days to do a full assessment on what needs to be done, but here is what we have seen so far...

8 new tires (if anyone knows where I can get cheap ones, let me know)
New Transmission (already have one ready to put in)
Blow by in the 8v92 needs to be investigated
Brake pads
Some basic metal work

IMG_6449.jpgIMG_6445.jpgIMG_6450.jpgIMG_6451.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Went to check it out Sunday. It was a lot of fun seeing on of these trucks up close. The oil system on the side will be coming off when I put a new tranny in, if anyone is interested in buying it.

Matt will be going through the truck in the next few days to do a full assessment on what needs to be done, but here is what we have seen so far...

8 new tires (if anyone knows where I can get cheap ones, let me know)
New Transmission (already have one ready to put in)
Blow by in the 8v92 needs to be investigated
Brake pads
Some basic metal work

View attachment 755201View attachment 755202View attachment 755200View attachment 755199
We have some 1600s for easy prices in the 85 percent to new range. We can even deliver them to western MA or to CT in the next week or two. PM me for prices.

jhooah

No plans to use the tank at the moment. Would be nice though to figure out a way to make a few bucks on the side using this truck.
Be careful here, this then makes it a commercial license requirement...
I can drive my M921 around all day long as long as it's for me, or supporting my Son's Scout Troop or the local museum as a donation of my services, but if I charge...some Paper Nazi will hunt me down for a violation.
V/R W. Winget

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful here, this then makes it a commercial license requirement...
I can drive my M921 around all day long as long as it's for me, or supporting my Son's Scout Troop or the local museum as a donation of my services, but if I charge...some Paper Nazi will hunt me down for a violation.
V/R W. Winget
Yup, I agree. Not worth the hassle.

Ajax MD

The bottom line here, is that Gman has given me defensive ammunition for all the people in my family and social circle who tell me I'm nuts for buying an M813.
For this, I am grateful. :D

• Haha
Reactions: HDN

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had this on the back burner for a bit and now it should be finished very soon. Haven't driven it yet, but can't wait. Will probably go up for sale before winter as I don't have a place to store it.

Here are some pics of the new rubber all around. New transmission was installed. New brakes. New engine oil. Matt @ AH Recon has been doing the work and took it on a test drive. We'll do a few more and then I'll drive it home once I figure out how to get it insured properly. Insurance agent isn't having much luck.

IMG_0152.JPGIMG_0153.JPGIMG_1229.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks