• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana to Salton Sea, CA - Back - Xmas 2018

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Will be departing around Christmas headed west from Louisiana all the way to Salton Sea, CA and then returning. I will be relocating a members camper for them and then returning it 2 weeks later.
l
So with that said if anyone along the I-10 route is interested in tires or parts i may have I can for sure bring them along for some fuel $$. I will either be dragging a 1101 or 1061 behind the 927. So plenty of room to move some stuff. 1600s,1400s,395s, or any other kinda tires you may need.

If anyone out that way needs any of those long ramps that NDT has for their lowboys let me know as well. Those are a costly to ship item thru LTL but we can make it happen. as I will be passing near by there.

This is tentative for around Xmas and returning after new years.

m109a2

Hey simp5782,Do you have a couple of deuce rims and ndts,3 lever light switch.I live 2 blocks off the 210 in Lake Charles La.If not still stop by for a hot Cajun meal.Al

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey simp5782,Do you have a couple of deuce rims and ndts,3 lever light switch.I live 2 blocks off the 210 in Lake Charles La.If not still stop by for a hot Cajun meal.Al
I have plenty of 9.00 and 11.00 NDTs. Member Profo has some as well over in New Iberia. I will be leaving out of his place.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bump. Planning on leaving out of LA on the evening of the 22nd. Headed across i10 to Phoenix. Then up to Vegas to silverstate55s place. Should be in salton seat and the palm springs area on the 27th.

Long drive but at least the camper has cruise control. Shower, bed, and TV!

winfred

home base is with in sight of i10 just past the mississippi river bridge in baton rouge going towards lafayette if a pit stop is needed

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was gonna ask WHY Salton Sea, but you covered that! Gimie a ring.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might drive down just to say hi. Bring a mask, Salton Sea stinks!!

Gee, I would have thought it would be crystal clear and smell like unicorn crap by now with all the environmentalists out there. I see nothing has changed since I was last there in '79.

;-)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee, I would have thought it would be crystal clear and smell like unicorn crap by now with all the environmentalists out there. I see nothing has changed since I was last there in '79.

;-)
It has changed....

It has gotten much WORSE.

I lived in CA in the early to mid 90's.

I'm currently in CA for a 3mo assignment. I'm appalled at the shear amount of litter everywhere. Much worse than last time I was here (Monterey county) and much worse than any of the recent assignments ( Flagstaff AZ, Valdosta GA, Houston TX, Omaha NE, St Louis MO, ).

The amount of litter here is comparable to what you saw in rural eastern KY in the early 80's. (Rural eastern KY has since been cleaned up. Last time I was there it was not bad at all)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has changed....

It has gotten much WORSE.

I lived in CA in the early to mid 90's.

I'm currently in CA for a 3mo assignment. I'm appalled at the shear amount of litter everywhere. Much worse than last time I was here (Monterey county) and much worse than any of the recent assignments ( Flagstaff AZ, Valdosta GA, Houston TX, Omaha NE, St Louis MO, ).

The amount of litter here is comparable to what you saw in rural eastern KY in the early 80's. (Rural eastern KY has since been cleaned up. Last time I was there it was not bad at all)

Or it has decomposed.

LMAO

You've seen the road frontage I clean. Found everything but a fetus or human body so far. Pee bottles, diapers (full), underwear (full), **** DVD, car parts out the wazoo, bank records, deer, bunnies, possums, racoons and trash.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or it has decomposed.

LMAO

You've seen the road frontage I clean. Found everything but a fetus or human body so far. Pee bottles, diapers (full), underwear (full), **** DVD, car parts out the wazoo, bank records, deer, bunnies, possums, racoons and trash.
I SO understand THAT statement!! Live on a "private" road with no county/township maintenance................... UGH sometimes with what ya find

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We are west bound. Left Profo's at 330am. Hitting I-10 in Crowley now. Going to try to make it near Ft. Stockton, TX this evening. Around 730 miles total for the day.

This is the first trip I have been on in a MV where I dont have to drive everywhere alone.

Profo is a little paranoid about breaking down so we do have a trailer in tow with all the air tools, plasma cutter, 2 welders and an assortment of other crap. Makes me feel a little unprepared when I just carry a 30cal ammo can with tools wherever I go. :driver:

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well we made it 710 miles today. At a rest area 50 miles east of Ft. Stockton. Got the bbq grille set up for deer burgers and pork steaks. Mep 803 is running. Even got satellite tv. Will get back on the road tomorrow first think. going to try to make it past Tuscon to a nice quiet spot in the desert for Christmas eve.

927 is running pretty well. It's a dog on hills but the cruise control is nice. Running 1200egts with the intercooler setup at full throttle and the pump is maxed out.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Welp. Made it into Arizona. About 60 miles east of Tucson to camp for the night. Marty is grilling again already like usual.

Made pretty good tracks all day thru west Texas and New Mexico. Going to meet up with Castle Bravo (Matt) tomorrow and then on into Vegas tomorrow night to hang out with Silverstate55 (warren). Then depart for Joshua Tree, CA to set up camp before 2 at the camp ground there. If any area folks want to come out and hang for the evening and cookout. Shoot me a message.

Even saw a pay phone!

Attachments

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those rocks are at the Texas Canyon rest area on I 10. Always a good place to stop.

60 miles east of tucson should have you right around karchner caverns at the 302 exit...

Enjoy your evening.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Welp. Made it into Vegas this evening. Had a good steak dinner with Warren and his wife. Nice NY strips and some boudin. Had a nice meeting with Castle.Bravo earlier today and we pushed on out of mesa around noon. Leaving out of here tomorrow around 10 in an attempt to get into Joshua Tree around 3.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks