• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185A3 wannabe m756a2 project

jth3rd

Quick backstory, facebook find for 2500, it appears to be a m756 pipeline truck, after purchasing and shipping it home data plate shows it's a m185a3 van wo/w , that has had pipeline bed and rear and front winch added, has no pto's are installed, has dl multifuel non running does crank and I suspect it has lockers in the rear axles due to rear end binding and skipping when turning sharp on pavement or gravel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does the date plate serial number match that of the frame? Cabs were always swapped or if someone built something maybe they just needed a cab and that is what is available?

Had that issue on a truck awhile back as the serial number on the cab data plate showed the truck had belonged to another county when the frame serial number claimed the truck was from forest service.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, couple of thoughts from a former M756A2 owner. PTO and driveline for the front winch is not hard to find. Rear PTO will be harder to find but not impossible. Finding the dedicated sprocket that goes on that PTO will be a challenge. My 756 was eaten up with rust as it came from Puerto Rico. I ended up parting the truck. The bed went on another deuce that had a knuckle boom behind the cab. It worked great.

jth3rd

Currently working on getting it to start, getting fuel to the ip in tank pump it's flowing fuel, I've removed the injector lines but no fuel out of the lines any ideas

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Often the reason for no starts on dormant multifuels is a stuck fuel shut off lever, located under the cover where the engine stop cable goes.

jth3rd

Already pulled the fuel shut off cover it moves freely, removed the injector lines and check fuel on top and bottem have fuel so going to pull the IP and see what's broke for it not to be flowing

jth3rd

Everything look normal? Fuel plate moves with shut off I move the throttle linkage but dont see anything really moving besides the nut on the inside moving with it

jth3rd

Will do thinking some else my be wrong as well, motor cranks over and besides ip having no output tried misting the intake with alittle diesel while cranking to see if it would atleast hit with that and had zero luck but on a positive note
Brakes are now working

jth3rd

Did pull the center bolt out and switched power on did have plenty of fuel come out, so assuming issues is with the pump head

jth3rd

Pulled the head apart found everything was crammed full of gunk, blow everything out with air compressor and cleaned now verifying timing Mark's before reinstalling and hopefully starting,
Valve spring compressor works perfectly for removing the keepers

jth3rd

Cranked it over and now have fuel coming out like daisy now hopefully I got the timing back on bump the engine over with head out, so had to match crank timing Mark's and injectors and resembles hopefully it's right will know in about 30 mins

jth3rd

Will be posting video but m@*@*&^# tried to run away when it finally started got it shut down but not sure if it was me that got it shut down or it locking up only lasted 30 sec or so but scared the piss out of me

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Told you to wait for the experts to chime in. Runaway is a known thing with these engines.

jth3rd

Told you to wait for the experts to chime in. Runaway is a known thing with these engines.
Yeah but now that I've watched the video, 95% sure fuel cut worked lasted 15 secs from time it revs up till it shuts down, took about 5 second to flip the switch off and pull the fuel shut off, then while holding it, I had set the drivetrain parking brake and stuck it in 5th gear but before I dumped the clutch it shut down thankfully
https://youtu.be/qjZkjqJWcp8

Starts up at 35 sec mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks