• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185A3 wannabe m756a2 project

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounding REAL good now! Did you not read the comment about you having THE ULTIMATE deuce? Looking at maybe $300 of parts to get the front winch operational. Rear about the same with some diligent horse trading around. I would not let that truck go for love or money.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Well 12 cans into the paint and about 4 more to finish it up, but finally looking like a proper deuce

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's looking good. I agree with what NDT said. You're in this truck for a very good price and it looks like you can definitely handle the work it needs. The bed is slightly smaller than the cargo truck but that's about the only downside. If you want a flatbed you've got it. Once you get the winches working you can have 300 feet of cable to winch at the back. With some homemade gin poles you can swap engines, truck bodies, etc. You can winch stuff up on to the deck with the tail roller. And even if you just use it as a cargo truck it's still a lot more desirable than an m35 because of the rare factor. After using one all the time it's worth doing the work in my opinion.

jth3rd

True, heres a quick walk around, got alittle more painting done at my house but with wind around 50 mph painting was limited to mainly the wheels and gave my oldest son a ride in it to my shop 1.5 miles he couldnt stop Smiling,
now heres my current list of things needing fix and estimated prices

1. Brakes, leaking master cylinder and even when filled with fluid pressing brakes blows out so air pack is shot as well, have to fill it off bleed and cap before starting for brakes to work good for acouple hours $150 for rebuild kit for master and air pac

2. Lights, has zero lights blinker harness is cut and the master light switch harness I got it spliced back together but still no lights or power at lights $150 new harness and possibly master switch

3. New Clutch, 3rd gear is highest usable gear before slipping even on level ground shows around 25 mph $250

4. Complete Tach cable and transmission plug is missing $100

5. Alternator has no output it's the original 25 amp $550

6. Wheel bearings and brake maintenance haven't even pulled them apart but geussing itll need all redone $600

7. Front and rear pto and levers and new cable $1500

8. Temp gauge no not functioning $50 to repair/replace

9. Super single current tires are junk $900 plus flipping hubs

10. Cab Heater kit and sound deading and insulating cab $800

11. Lockers both rear axles $1000

12. Gin poles $1000

Edit forgot to add cb radio and light bar, possibly a/c and radio, cab noise currently isnt bad sounds level is almost compairable to a 90's 12v Cummins in cab

$5750 in total repairs

$1850 in critical repairs

$1000 in add ons

Purchase price $2500 another in $500 into it since purchase

So looking at bare minimum of being into it for $4850 for it to be road worthy

And almost $9750 into a completed badass deuce but looking at years to get funds saved up to complete it doing all labor myself saving tons of money

https://youtu.be/ti-6g1e_0_4

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is A big investment but well worth it i bought my first M756A2 sight unseen and there wasn't much left to it after the forestry service stripped it and put a tank on it. My second has been the most useful truck i have owned.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these bed sides custom made for the pipeline bed or is it something that existed as original issue? The bed looks tough as nails with these sides on!

I looked through your list of repairs (critical vs. nice-to-have) and the critical repairs you list is pretty much stuff every Deuce owner has to contend with. I think you did very well on this truck.

When you do the clutch, you will want to do the rear main seal (and drill the modified holes into the carrier if it has not been done) and also plan time to go through the tranny, seeing how it is sitting conveniently on the ground. Good time to clean out the gunk at the bottom, look for bad gears/synchros, check the bearings and also replace the PTO dust seals if they are torn. Good cleaning and new coat of paint before it goes back up and in!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Are these bed sides custom made for the pipeline bed or is it something that existed as original issue? The bed looks tough as nails with these sides on!
The sides are a factory item but were only found on the pipeline trucks. The idea was to haul the crew, then remove the bed and work the truck. I think a lot of trucks never really worked and lived life as a cargo truck while many that were worked had the bedsides removed once and never put back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks