• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California - Camp Plymouth Swap Meet & Military Vehicle Show April 16-21, 2019

Major Asstyrd

California- Camp Plymouth Swap Meet & Military Vehicle Display April 16-21, 2019

The biggest annual MV event in western North America is coming to a NEW VENUE April 16-21, 2019! The Military Vehicle Collectors of California CAMP PLYMOUTH 42nd ANNUAL SWAP MEET & MILITARY VEHICLE DISPLAY Presented by MD JUAN will descend on the 49er RV Village and Amador County Fairgrounds in Plymouth, California, 18265 Hwy 49. This is across the Central Valley from Tower Park, northeast of Lodi and east of southern Sacramento. This is Gold Country, 29 miles from where gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill in 1848. Many historic frontier towns are along Hwy 49 and Plymouth is the "Gateway to Shenandoah Valley Wine Country."

This event will likely be bigger than it's annual Spring predecessors going back to the late 1970s: Camp Petaluma, Camp Delta at Tower Park, the Big Bear Meet, and the Patterson Rally. It solves all issues we had for two years at Petaluma KOA, and problems with Tower Park rules that will keep us from returning there. The 49er RV Village is large, we have a big block of sites with expansion room. There are practically an unlimited number of tent sites at the adjacent Amador County Fairgrounds which the MVCC has rented.

Here are the highlights:
  • Pro and amateur parts & militaria vendors
  • No seller fee, just your campsite or cabin rental. Vending in paid camp spaces only
  • No visitor admission fee
  • Free visitor parking and trailer storage at Amador County Fairgrounds
  • No MV registration fee
  • Will be advertised to the public in the area by the 49er office and the MVCC. We want to find the MV owners in the foothills
  • 49er is for RVs, travel trailers, toy hauler campers, and pickups with camper shells. Shade trees, lawns, nearly flat, little dust, very scenic
  • Cabins - one, two bedroom and studios (wait list for cabins likely)
  • MVCC members receive camping discount at 49er which more than pays for your $35 12-month membership ($25 for electronic monthly newsletter). See application on our website. All welcome, anywhere.
  • Fairgrounds is for tenters. 20'x 25' sites. $25 dry, $35 with power and water. Flat, no shade, should be green grass, restrooms, trash pickup
  • A walking gate will be open between the fairgrounds and the RV park. MVs can be driven back and forth via the front gates
  • Jo-Ann Lesser is again our "Wagonmistress" assigning sites. Contact her for questions or for a site at MVCCCampmistress@yahoo.com. 49er office does not assign sites. She will tell you when to contact the office to put your one-night deposit on your RV site. March 1 is deadline if you have not done this, or your site becomes available to others.
  • Tent site rental at the Hagerty Tent Village must be paid to the MVCC in full prior to arrival to reserve space - ask Jo-Ann for information. MVCC is renting the fairgrounds.
  • Cafe, store, pool, spa, rec hall, laundry, games, fishing at RV Village
  • Hotels, bed-and-breakfasts, restaurants nearby. Big grocery store across the street

The fairgrounds has an arena where we will have the two MV showcases on Friday:

Featuring JEEPS - WWII, Korea, Vietnam, CJs pre-1987 Presented by MD JUAN. Bring 'em all, any era and condition. People's Choice Contest with CASH prizes, no formal judging. Damon Viola is POC, damon@damonviola.com

Featuring Ford GTB "Burma Jeeps" and Chevrolet M6 Bomb Trucks Presented by Hagerty". Ditto. MVCC Central Valley Vice President Don Gomes is POC. 209-765-1273 or caddymanwestside@yahoo.com

Don is also the general event information contact, working with organizer Dave Porter, MVCC Northern Vice President

This is a great area for Historic Gold Country and winery tourism. Activities Coordinator Nancy Porter is planning several things:
  • Winery Wednesday Convoy
  • Military Vehicle Poker Rally
  • Ladies Local Excursion and Brunch
  • Another excursion on Saturday afternoon
  • Catered dinners Thursday, Friday
  • Annual fundraising Raffle - includes one MD JUAN replica WWII Ford Script jeep Maxi-Kit! $7,000+ value!

Just a few of the vendors planning to attend:

• MD Juan Jeep Parts
  • Rod Shaver
  • Jay's WWII Jeeps - Jay Hinton
  • Carson Plains Surplus -Jon Bircheff
  • Downtown Truck Parts - Norman Gorelick
  • Lee Edwards
  • Many amateur sellers - time to clean out your garage and closet!

Campground maps are in the MVCC newsletter, available from Jo-Ann, and will be up soon at www.MVCCNews.net

JOIN US FOR THE BIG ONE!

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the camping area has fire pits? Can you have an open fire? I’ll be camping and am trying to figure out what all to bring and how I’m going to cook.

Major Asstyrd

Mik, fires authorized in raised pits only at the Hagerty Tent Sector at the fairgrounds. Not on the ground. You have to bring it and wood. At the 49er RV Village same thing but they want to sell you their wood.

Most tent sites have no shade. No tables unless event daddy rabbit Dave Porter finds some at the fairgrounds that aren't expensive. Things like that will be posted on www.MVCCNews.net

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the camping area has fire pits? Can you have an open fire? I’ll be camping and am trying to figure out what all to bring and how I’m going to cook.
Mike, how many days are you going to attend? Due to the 49er rules on soft top campers my (M105A2) with canvas cover will not be allowed in the camping area. So I have been banished to the fairgrounds and will have to pitch a tent. I bought the S250 Shelter in November, but the weather here has been in the 30s & 40s so I haven't had a chance to get it mounted in the M105A2, and set up for camping. I asked JoAnn if I can get my old spot back in the camp ground when I have my S250 shelter's finished for the Sept. meet. So for now I'm leaving the deuce at home, and I'll just drive my Chevrolet pick up and bring the propane stove and ice chest. I haven't spoken to Alan & Randy yet to see what they have planned. Mike I'll call ya.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mik, fires authorized in raised pits only at the Hagerty Tent Sector at the fairgrounds. Not on the ground. You have to bring it and wood. At the 49er RV Village same thing but they want to sell you their wood.

Most tent sites have no shade. No tables unless event daddy rabbit Dave Porter finds some at the fairgrounds that aren't expensive. Things like that will be posted on the Events forums here and on the G and on www.MVCCNews.net
Thanks for the info. I’ll bring chairs, table and Camo netting for shade. Since I have a water and power site, I can see me making use of my electric hot plate.

Major Asstyrd

Tracer, why not bring the big truck and camp in it at the fairgrounds? If it rains you might want a place to hide out in that's not a tent. Put out a tarp roof next to it? Also you can putt around with it to both sides of the event whenever you want, and take it on the MV Poker Run and the run on Saturday afternoon to Knight Foundry that Tim Coolbaugh is putting together. 19th century water powered foundry and machine shop.

One option is sharing a site in the Hagerty Tent Sector and if no room for the rig, park it at a nearby display location and tent camp at the campsite. There is no charge for MV parking and other displays outside the numbered campsites at the fairgrounds if not camping in it. Bring some cones or signs saving the space while you are driving around. There will be an area at the fairgrounds for extra MVs or those driven in by commuters from hotels or home.
- John

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now THAT is cool! It's 8 miles from my house! I have volunteered at the steam powered saw mill there before.
That's it Jack, rub it in. For me it's about 300mi each way. The steam powered saw mill sounds cool. Glad some people had the foresight to preserve some of our history. If you have time, come on out to the tent city at the fairgrounds and visit. I'll be there with BigMike, speedfellon, and some other members. In the evenings, we usually have some excellent tri-tip, porterhouse etc. BigMike will have his wrecker there, ya cant miss it.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 755642Tracer, why not bring the big truck and camp in it at the fairgrounds? If it rains you might want a place to hide out in that's not a tent. Put out a tarp roof next to it? Also you can putt around with it to both sides of the event whenever you want, and take it on the MV Poker Run and the run on Saturday afternoon to Knight Foundry that Tim Coolbaugh is putting together. 19th century water powered foundry and machine shop.

One option is sharing a site in the Hagerty Tent Sector and if no room for the rig, park it at a nearby display location and tent camp at the campsite. There is no charge for MV parking and other displays at the fairgrounds if not camping in it. Also you will see some areas on the Tent Sector map designated for parking cars or trucks not fitting into campsites. Some are right next to campsites. Bring some cones or signs saving the space while you are driving around. - John
Major, I appreciate your help. But my Deuce needs batteries, paint, and some detail work, and the m105 needs the S250 shelter bolted down. The weather this winter has been especially cold and wet (snow tomorrow). So I haven't had a chance to do any of the work needed, and it looks according to the weather man, like this weather will go on into March. But, I should be ready for the fall meet. We'll see ya in April.

Major Asstyrd

Now THAT is cool! It's 8 miles from my house! I have volunteered at the steam powered saw mill there before.
You don't happen to have a fork lift or crane and space to store a big crate after the meet, do you? The MVCC is being given an in-the-crate new MD Juan reproduction 1942 GPW Maxi-Kit as their sponsorship fee. Besides it being on display at the meet, we will sell it Friday evening at our annual fundraising raffle (the club is very non-profit!). This will justify the club spending more treasury money than normal for event advertising, expenses, things that benefit members. Raffle rules will be published soon on www.MVCCNews.net. The new owner will assume ownership of it Friday night but it must remain on display through Saturday (not to say the new owner can't right away resell it or arrange to part it out!). So the new owner might need to store it for a day or a week to arrange transportation. The MVCC is talking to the fairgrounds about possibly storing it there.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't happen to have a fork lift or crane and space to store a big crate after the meet, do you? The MVCC is being given a MD Juan reproduction script Ford jeep Maxi-Kit by MD Juan as their sponsorship fee. We are going to do some marketing for them. Besides it being on display at the meet, we will sell it Friday evening at our annual fundraising raffle (the club is very non-profit!). This will justify the club spending more treasury money than normal for event advertising, expenses, things that benefit members. The way it's planned now, the owner will have to take delivery that weekend, assuming he doesn't turn around and sell it on Saturday! This will be hard for some due to no space on a trailer or difficulty getting a trailer on Saturday. Maybe the owner would need a commercial hauler. So the issue might be storage for a little while, and a device to lift the crate. It is bulky, basically a jeep-in-a-box without engine, driveline, axles, wiring, instruments.
Major, if you can't find anyone, you might PM BigMike. He is just up the road in Davis CA..

Last edited:

8madjack

That's it Jack, rub it in. For me it's about 300mi each way. The steam powered saw mill sounds cool. Glad some people had the foresight to preserve some of our history. If you have time, come on out to the tent city at the fairgrounds and visit. I'll be there with BigMike, speedfellon, and some other members. In the evenings, we usually have some excellent tri-tip, porterhouse etc. BigMike will have his wrecker there, ya cant miss it.
I'll definitely stop by! Looking forward to meeting some of you. I'll let my friend know too, he has a deuce, maybe we can 2 truck convoy down there.

Oh, and as for the history, I regularly volunteer at knight's foundry in Sutter creek, it's a water powered foundry and machine shop established in 1873. Now its a living history museum. It's about 12 miles fom the fair grounds.

Last edited:

8madjack

Major, if you can't find anyone, you might PM BigMike. He is just up the road in Davis CA..
I might be able to hold onto it for a bit. Depending on the weight my tractor may lift it. No forklift but I do have a crane of a 1084 mtv, problem is its not installed on my truck yet! Future project that I'll post when I finally get to do it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't happen to have a fork lift or crane and space to store a big crate after the meet, do you? The MVCC is being given a MD Juan reproduction script Ford jeep Maxi-Kit by MD Juan as their sponsorship fee. We are going to do some marketing for them. Besides it being on display at the meet, we will sell it Friday evening at our annual fundraising raffle (the club is very non-profit!). This will justify the club spending more treasury money than normal for event advertising, expenses, things that benefit members. The way it's planned now, the owner will have to take delivery that weekend, assuming he doesn't turn around and sell it on Saturday! This will be hard for some due to no space on a trailer or difficulty getting a trailer on Saturday. Maybe the owner would need a commercial hauler. So the issue might be storage for a little while, and a device to lift the crate. It is bulky, basically a jeep-in-a-box without engine, driveline, axles, wiring, instruments.
I live near Dixon/Winters CA so that is probably too far away but, for what it’s worth, I know a guy who has a wrecker and will be at the event. The only reason it wouldn’t be there is inclement weather.

8madjack

I live near Dixon/Winters CA so that is probably too far away but, for what it’s worth, I know a guy who has a wrecker and will be at the event. The only reason it wouldn’t be there is inclement weather.
I was planning in renting some equipment when I get to installing this crane on my m931a1. Might have to talk to one of you wrecker owners and see if we can work out a deal!

Major Asstyrd

Most of the following info is from John Verissimo, Secretary of the Military Vehicle Collectors of California

The Ford GTB 1 ½ Ton "Burma Jeep" Bomb & Cargo Truck & Chevrolet M6 Bomb Truck Showcase Presented by Hagerty Insurance will be Friday April 19, 2019 during the Camp Plymouth Swap Meet & Military Vehicle Display Presented by MD Juan.

This is the first time the big Spring meet will showcase all models of Ford GTB "Burma Jeeps!" We are going to try and have as many GTB’s at this show as we can get. Don Gomes, our POC, will be contacting and working with GTB owners to get them to bring their vehicles to this Showcase. ANY and ALL GTB’s are WELCOME, running and non running, restored and non restored, we just want to have as many as possible so everyone can get a chance to see these AMAZING vehicles in all conditions in person.

Also at this showcase we will have CHEVROLET M6 Bomb Service Trucks! This is your chance to see the Chevy and Ford bomb truck versions side-by-side. These bomb trucks played a big role in WW2. Come see history live in person. Also wanted: BOMB Ordnance of any kind! Bring and show it off!

There will be a People's Choice Contest with CASH PRIZES sponsored by Hagerty Collector Vehicle Insurance. There’s a 1st Place, 2nd Place and 3rd Place Award. Don't forget to thank Hagerty rep Joe Giuntini who will be camping and sharing info with us at RV site 34. For more information or if you have any questions about the showcase please call MVCC VP Don Gomes at (209)765-1273.

You can also visit the GTB Bomb and Cargo Trucks (Burma Jeep) Facebook page for more information.

GTB Flyer Top.jpgM6 Newsletter Cover.jpg

[/u]

Last edited:

Major Asstyrd

There is a lot of event info on the event page at www.MVCCNews.net accessed from the calendar. Activities, general info, RV park map showing who is where, tourism options, mileages from various cities. Maps of both campgrounds are up, and you can click on a site to see who has reserved it. Rules pertaining to the jeep kit raffle are now posted there.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks