• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving in England/Europe, anywhere that isn't the US...

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any tips on driving the deuce overseas?

I already know that there are lots of city streets that this thing won't fit, especially in older cities. Preliminary plans are to bring a motorcycle, park and drive the bike when I get to a place I where I want to spend time. And I'm not particularly looking forward to driving on the left side in England.

I'm starting my plan on getting my deuce (custom camper in the bed) ready for a world tour, probably in 2020, for a year or so. Besides a few tools, a spare tire, and a sat phone, I suppose I'll just wing it which is how I usually travel. However, maybe others have some tips if you've driving it overseas? I've already taken some long US trips and I will start my trip on the US West coast and ship to England from the East, eventually coming back to the West from either Australia or Japan, maybe stopping in Hawaii.

Wonder if driving a military vehicle is a bad idea in Turkey or Iran or Egypt...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I start the deluge of replies, point by point.....

I already know that there are lots of city streets that this thing won't fit, especially in older cities.
City busses and trash trucks - just don't build your camper with a ton of crap hanging off of the sides. Your biggest issue will be turning radius of the deuce. Have good mirrors - including a view down infront of the front bumper. Back up camera too.

Preliminary plans are to bring a motorcycle, park and drive the bike when I get to a place I where I want to spend time.
Nice idea - think security whilst stowed.

And I'm not particularly looking forward to driving on the left side in England.
Shouldn't be a problem, I have and still own "wrong" side drive vehicles - you'll get used to it - the bigger issue will be different countries have differing 'rights of way'. Roundabouts in most countries are right of way when on, France for eg., is right of way to enter. Other countries are RHD - you have India, Japan, Australia (NZ), Malaysia, some African countries too. AGAIN - blind spot mirrors. Off hand driving position will help you with narrow streets and treacherous mountain passes. I know UK wrecker operators who like LHD's 'cause it's safer getting out on a busy road.

I'm starting my plan on getting my deuce (custom camper in the bed) ready for a world tour, probably in 2020, for a year or so. Besides a few tools, a spare tire, and a sat phone, I suppose I'll just wing it which is how I usually travel. However, maybe others have some tips if you've driving it overseas? I've already taken some long US trips and I will start my trip on the US West coast and ship to England from the East, eventually coming back to the West from either Australia or Japan, maybe stopping in Hawaii.
Wonder if driving a military vehicle is a bad idea in Turkey or Iran or Egypt...
Big tip here is colour - there are a ton of ex-mil trucks used all over the world, they just don't look like 'current' issue military vehicles. Go bold or nondescript - just don't go camo or straight green. White will be good for heat insulation.
There are a ton of online resources that will help you with build, prep, route, places to avoid etc., etc.
Get all your permits way before you need them.
You haven't mentioned hard or soft top. Security will be a key worry once you get going and exposed to new places. Bad Diesel could be an issue in 'poorer' countries. Spare tyres​ (plural).... Good luck.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note that camo or "military" paint schemes are illegal in some countries. I would suspect that there are a lot of countries that forbid driving an ex-MV on their roads, or even the temporary importation. Be prepared for massive paperwork challenges for some countries. You also need to check out what drivers licenses are accepted. You are driving a large truck. Some countries also forbid trucks on the road on Sundays. I've driven deuces and other MVs all over Western Europe in the early 70s while in the Army. There will be minimal problems in Western Europe due to the size as long as you use common sense. It will be another story when you travel through other countries outside Europe. However, there is the "torture" factor. Driving a deuce day after day for a long period of time is not pleasant. I would also be very concerned about maintenance issues, especially spare parts. Be prepared to spend a significant amount of money during that trip. Ocean freight alone will eat you alive. No offense, but there is no way I would start a trip like that.

FLYWHEEL

I drive mine regularly in the U.K as that is where I live, best advice I can give you is to have a good co-driver who can help at junctions and intersections watching out for vehicles in the blind spots that are created by driving a deuce on the left hand side of the road.

Guyfang

Staff member
Give us a general idea what Country's in Europe you are going to drive in. Be aware that the number of German cities that are now closed, or are going to be closed to diesel vehicles is growing at an unbelievable rate. Big time fines. You will need to know your signs. I am sure you can get publications in the states with signs AND traffic regulations. If not, let me know, I can get the drivers training book from the army. Get to know the basic laws of the lands you will be in. You can not, in general park on the side of the road, or on a dirt road in Germany, and spend the night. In Sweden, the law allows anyone, to spend the night someplace like a field or such, one night. But asking first is not a bad idea.

So getting smart is a must. Get an international drivers license. Ensure it allows you to drive the type vehicles you bring with you. In theory you can drive on a US license for a month or so here. But what you want to drive here might make that difficult. Ensure that you are ALLOWED to drive your truck here. If I was going to drive here in Germany, I think I would send a PM to Migginsbros, and ask Chris for pointers.

Obey the law. Some of the countries here have draconian punishments for traffic violations. There are very few, at least in Germany, roads that are "too small". Even in the real old towns. And if so, they are plainly marked. In the army, I drove over sized vehicles everyplace. Only had a few problems. Do spend Good money on a good Navi, with the EUROPE maps. Do not entertain ideas of driving off road, unless you are willing to shell out money.

If you are going in 2020, start now getting smart.

dmetalmiki

And, Bear in mind that you WILL have to be driving with the appropriate driving licence 'In Type' for the country you wish to drive drive in. (Through).
Most (Of the , but not all!) E.U. countries require an L.G.V. Licence to operate a deuce.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the adventure aspect. Personally, having lived in and travelled extensively in (Western)Europe and adjacent countries, all the way into Russia, I can't jump up and down and say "great idea". If you travelled through western Europe...yes. That is certainly fun; you would get interesting drives and a bit of local bureaucracy regarding big vehicles.

The Deuce is not a secure or even secur-able vehicle. It will be subject to unwanted attention when it is parked. A really bad situation in many places. You can't be in or near the truck 24/7 without severely impacting on your own freedom to go see and do things.

The security situation in some places in Eastern Europe is iffy. Romania, Albania, ...all do-able but at what cost to your nerves? In Belarus, a salesguy I know, driving his bosses old beater Mercedes with 700k plus on the clock, was stopped by armed men in the middle of nowhere on the highway at night. Masks, Kalashnikovs, the whole bit. He got out, left the Benz running, threw his wallet and rings onto the driver's seat and walked away. The bandits piled into the Mercedes and took off. He was left int he middle of nowhere. Such crap can and does happen. Does that jive with the kind of adventure you want to have?

I am not even going to talk about places sandy. A whole lot of different rules apply. And you will be driving a vehicle that many will immediately recognise as a US military vehicle, regardless of whether it is pink or green.

Maybe consider driving a route in countries that are exciting and interesting, but not lethal. Morocco and other North African destinations can fit the bill. Maybe re-consider the idea of driving through all the iffy countries...

I wish you all the best!

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I lived my life doing what others would or wouldn't do it wouldn't be my life, and I wouldn't have bought a deuce to begin with nor would I have done half the things I've already done.

The truck and camper will be armoured against small arms fire - using polycarbonate for this including the windows. I've also looked at kevlar - it's much cheaper if you buy it direct from manufacturers in China. Of course, there's always gonna be something I can't protect against. No vehicle is fully securable - all you can do is buy some time. Y'know, you can walk out your front door and get shot or run over in the US. I'm planning on dazzle camo for the paint job, it'll stand out.

I have relatives in Wales, England, Italy & Australia. I was a history major, and yeah, I'd love to see some of the iffy countries, but I'll have to just see what the conditions are like. From what I've heard Iran is friendly to tourists as long as you don't run afoul of the gov't. The truck might do that for me though.

Cameras all around is a good idea, both for driving and parking security. Was planning on back-up already, but all around I could tie to my phone as well. I'd already planned on bringing a spare tire and some tools. The camper design will enable me to move from the camper directly into the cab.

Oh yeah, and it's ~$4k to transport a 26', 18t vehicle (RO/RO) from Baltimore to Southampton, at least it was on the quote I got last week. I expect it'll be a lot more to get from Australia or Japan back to the US.

I wasn't planning on getting into the aspects of my build/design, but I am planning on rebuilding the cab for a few reasons, not the least so that I can put a rack on the roof and carry more supplies/water/fuel. There will be a pocket door in back of the cab that will lead into the tool/spare tire area (which will be enclosed) and then into another pocket door into the camper. Putting on a second 50 gal tank where the tool rack is and a 3rd fuel tank in the bed with maybe up to 100 gal more - still working on the design. With upwards of 200 gal, not counting any jerrycans I should be able to bypass fueling in some countries completely. There are 2 places near me that do self sealing fuel tank coatings, I'm still looking into that.

And if the whole thing goes to ****, the truck gets stolen, broken down and unfixable, then I fly home. And if I die instead, then I die and I won't have to care about that either.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Just so you know, you won't have any of those above mentioned issues down here.

Even the city streets will be wide enough for a Deuce.

No bandits, (well except for any parking tickets).

Let us know where your planning on being down under, maybe I can meet up with mine?

You'll find Australia will be fine.

Just remember the spiders, snakes, Croc's, Dingo's, Roo's, Drop Bears,........

;)

Aussie.

rustystud

G'day everyone,.....

Just so you know, you won't have any of those above mentioned issues down here.

Even the city streets will be wide enough for a Deuce.

No bandits, (well except for any parking tickets).

Let us know where your planning on being down under, maybe I can meet up with mine?

You'll find Australia will be fine.

Just remember the spiders, snakes, Croc's, Dingo's, Roo's, Drop Bears,........

;)

Aussie.
Here in the States we tend to "idolize" Australia as a wondrous place to visit. Beautiful beaches, reefs and so on. We seem to forget that Australia has some of the deadliest snakes and spiders and such in the world ! Of course I would still love to visit there !

russojap

With the turning lock of the 'Queen Mary' (And county corners)..you will need forward planning.courage..or and determination.https://youtu.be/V7cE9H1iqWcAnd local 'folk' have absolutely no hesitation pushing past or out in front of you.(2nd video).."wonder if he will make it?..well..'it' disappeared without a crunch!.https://youtu.be/6cwjK46Il_4
I love that first video, it's scary looking with everybody driving on the wrong side of the road! You can really whip that thing around some tight places in a hurry, are you speeding? Does the truck have a siren? Nice driving gloves BTW.

Last edited:

rustystud

G'day everyone,.....

So whats keeping you,....

Put your glad rags on and 'come on down,....'

Aussie.
The cost of a ticket and the 20 hours flying time kind of puts a kink in things. I would need to fly first class as I cannot get in and out of those stupid cheap seats anymore. The last time I flew coach/business class I almost pissed my self trying to get out of the seat ! Now I know I would piss myself ! Who ever said the older years where your Golden years was referring to bladder issues ! Not your quality of life !!!

Guyfang

Staff member
And I almost posted after your first post, " that's way to far to fly for an elderly gentleman like you!"

But no, I thought better of it. The real reason is because you have too many things to do around the house! So fire up that lawn mower, an get cracking!

Instead, you need to come to the land of GOOD BEER. No crocks here. No bad spiders. No snakes, (well, there is one kind. And it's supposed to be dangers. But not around here.) No Roos. No dingo's. No drop bears. Just good beer and well endowed women.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, keep us in the loop! This sounds like fun!! Come visit, I got the first round of the worlds best beer! Three of the finest examples of German castles you will ever see are within 40 min. drive.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will happily join the discussion and extend an invitation to visit us as well. I am a European: a Dutchman working in the Czech Republic with a French car bought from an Austrian party. I drove a 5-ton in the Netherlands. Not much, but still. And drove LHD cars (but not trucks) in the UK. And I have my up to date CLD for trucks.

First, sounds like a swell trip, and I would sign up for most parts of it immediately. So I hope I am not too alarmist here.

Going through your points one by one. It will double comments already earlier made, but it will help you decide that sometimes it is not one person who is saying something but several people saying the same thing.

Anyone have any tips on driving the deuce overseas? I already know that there are lots of city streets that this thing won't fit, especially in older cities. Preliminary plans are to bring a motorcycle, park and drive the bike when I get to a place I where I want to spend time. And I'm not particularly looking forward to driving on the left side in England.
First, driving license. At least in the EU, you do need a special license for driving a vehicle over 7,700 lbs (3.5 ton). No discussion, no "but I use it privately" etc. The limit is 3,5 ton for cars with normal driving license (which is type B). Everything above you have to have your type C. If you drive professionally, you also need a special professional license (code 95), which is a pain and expensive. You need to check if your license is valid for the Deuce in the EU and UK

Once you have that, get your International Driver’s License. In most cases in the EU, I don’t think you need it, but outside the EU definitely, so take that with you and also a so-called insurance green card or any other evidence your car insurance is paid up AND VALID in the countries you visit.

As to time limits you can drive on your USA or International Driver’s license, not sure on the legal stuff here, but I think that as long as you do not work there is no problem.

Also important and quite confusing for foreigners. In Europe, you have the EU, the Euro zone, and the Schengen Area (to keep it simple). The EU is probably familiar, and about 2/3s of the countries in the EU use the Euro. On top of this, 26 countries in Europe (both EU and non-EU) have joined in the so-called Schengen Area. There are NO border controls and there is free movement between those countries inside the area. However, there is a time limit on your holiday visa: you can stay 90 out of 180 days in the Schengen Area. The time starts when you enter the first time, and then just counts to 180 and the clock is reset. If in this 180 period you stay 91 days in the area, you are in problems (if they catch you). Read more about it here. Not the most legal of sources, but it explains it good.

Guyfang: the worlds best beer in Berlin? What beer would that be?

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now to your remarks in the first post.

Not fitting in all streets of historic towns. Some streets you really don't fit, but most main streets even in historic towns are no problem. The biggest problem will be your turning circle and if you have power steering (a must).

Another problem will be the parking: towns are more and more congested. You might be able to drive through, but not able to park anywhere. And police is very quick with the so-called yellow shoes (immobilizers). And as said by Guyfang, more and more towns are restricting diesel cars totally or over-sized cars to specific hours.

As you said already, the solution is to stay at the edge of towns in a nice place and use the bike to get there. Nice places can include tank stations at the edge of town or camping places. Beware of overnight big truck stops especially in Calais (migrants trying to get into the UK) or Italy and probably also Balkans and more easterly; they are a prime target for thieving gangs.

LHD in the UK. In principle no problem if you are careful and keep it slow. Beware the UK has very narrow rural roads with stone walls around it and hardly space for turning. Very romantic, but it can be a nightmare to drive.

UK-Brexit. Beware that when you doing your trip, the UK will not be in the EU anymore (probably). So you might need different papers for the UK and the EU, and you might run into serious waiting times at the crossing points.

Have fun with that one. Quite serious, don't even start think about it like that.

- 1 - Even if your truck has been completely overhauled, bring lots of spare parts. In the EU, there are virtually NO places where you can get spare parts for your truck; the Netherlands is about the last place which has a lot of surplus stuff. To give an impression, I tried to get a steering box shipped from the USA. Shipping alone would have set me back around $ 700 to $ 1,000. Shipping an entire new truck could be cheaper than 5 times shipping some missing parts. Also, in the USA, you can get a lot of the smaller and regular stuff in any larger shop. For a Deuce in Europe: not so. I am now already looking a few weeks for a single 5-cents 1 inch large brake bleeder valve: no dice; wrong size and -more important- wrong thread speeds. Deuces are non-metric; NOTHING from here fits, from the smallest screw to oil or fuel filter to whatever you need. Same with brake lines; wrong sizes.

- 2 - With repairs, if you need professional help, shipping another Deuce might be cheaper than having it repaired here. If you break down on a German or Swiss highway you might run into a lot of problems including fines and mandatory towing fees to get your truck of the high way.

- 3 - Please make sure your Deuce has a double-circuit brake system. If your brakes fail and you have a single system, you have a very serious problem (even if you and all in front of you are still alive). If it just fails, without parts you just are stuck. If you make an accident, even without victims, don’t count on getting off lightly in the EU. Here are umbrella articles in the laws saying that a vehicle has to be legal and road worthy. If its not considered safe, they can and will stop you.

Apart from the above,there is no Steel Soldiers community outside the USA that can come to the rescue (although I and probably some others would throw tools and stuff in the back of the car and trying to come to the rescue).

Having said that, these are all easily solvable things or points to bear in mind, still sounds like great fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks