• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

desperately need help with m1009 wiring

Elky

Hey, new to the forum here. I have an 84 cucv m1009 with a lot of wiring issues. I was told that the engine was swapped but I have no proof, its still a j code 6.2 detroit. The past owner did a of questionable wiring that I need to correct. It was converted to single alternator 12 volt. The glow plugs are now wired to a switched solenoid. There was a head unit and amp in the cab which I removed as soon as I got it. At that point most everything was fine. I pulled the dash because none of the dash lights were lighting up but my red warning lights were. This is when my problems started. I noticed that some wiring on the fire wall would start to smoke when I cranded it over. It got worse where the starter switch on the steering column would smoke as well. Then I completely lost the ability to turn over the engine from the key but i could still jump the solenoid wire to the battery to start the engine. Soon after that the blower motor went out then my glow plug switch. The only things I can activate in the cab are the headlights and the turn signals. The dash is hooked up but no dash lights. I replaced the starter switch on the column with the identical part verified by part number. Still nothing. I traced my wiring under the hood with my multimeter. I have power going into where the positive wire from the battery splits off. My glow plug solenoid has power and I can jump it. I basically have power in the engine compartment and leading through the firewall but I loose it as soon as it gets into the cab. Can anyone help me?

ke6axc

Hello,
I would suggest downloading the wiring diagram. It will give you a starting point for troubleshooting.
I've found a lot of bad wiring repairs in my M1009.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your troubleshooting should have started with disconnecting the batteries at the first sign of smoke; I'm perplexed you would continue to screw with it after that.

Whatever problem(s) you had at the beginning are now going to be significantly complicated by burned out fuses, fusible links, and wires.

You need an expert. Until then, disconnect both batteries and don't try to start it again.

Elky

Your troubleshooting should have started with disconnecting the batteries at the first sign of smoke; I'm perplexed you would continue to screw with it after that.

Whatever problem(s) you had at the beginning are now going to be significantly complicated by burned out fuses, fusible links, and wires.

You need an expert. Until then, disconnect both batteries and don't try to start it again.

hindsight is 20/20, batteries are disconnected and have been since things stopped working

Last edited:

cucvrus

May I suggest you just abandon the chopped up hacked up wiring harness and just return it to the way it was for all the years it served in the military. All you need is an un-hacked wiring harness and the TM's to return it to stock. It must have worked for many years or it would have been used for target practice. That is what happens to the bad ones at Fort Indiantown Gap. Even the good ones get shot occasionally. Good Luck.

Matt5

Banned
Ya I can help, I'm pretty sure I have full stock truck wiring harnesses lol...

Junk it or go back to stock at this point... if stuff is smoking, replace it all back to stock make sure it works and then do what you want from that point...

Freeland

May I suggest you just abandon the chopped up hacked up wiring harness and just return it to the way it was for all the years it served in the military. All you need is an un-hacked wiring harness and the TM's to return it to stock. It must have worked for many years or it would have been used for target practice. That is what happens to the bad ones at Fort Indiantown Gap. Even the good ones get shot occasionally. Good Luck.
:roll:

cucvrus

Sad but true. I seen the scrap CUCV's & M880's piled up at the range. After A10 and artillery practice you can pick them up with a pitch fork. Sad but true. All ends well. A few years back they cleaned the range of scrap and I could not recognize any of the vehicles once they were loaded and unloaded at the scrap yard. A few APC aluminum hulls and some M60 tank parts were about all I could identify.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks