• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

75w90 Gear oil

Strong50

Just a little advise. I'm going to open up the differentials and do a fluid change this weekend. Called around and priced some oil and wonder if anyone has any experience with the Masterpro which I guess is the O'reillys brand. I'm asking because I can get 5 Gallon buckets for $129.00 and the cheapest I can find Mobil 1 is $204.00. I've checked for reviews and can't really make heads or tails of it, but my grandpa always told me you "get what you pay for". Any advise or experience would be appreciated.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you arent not in a hurry then order it off ebay. You can get mobil for $125 shipped to your door for 4 gallons. The listing is for 1 qty is 4 gallons. Or Coastal 5 gallon buckets shipped to you for $100. It all came from the same dinosaur's rear. It is all made to about the same spec.

I use mystik from truck pro if I don't have time to order online. Or I shop tractor supply.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I switched my axles to synth it made a big difference. After a good highway run at 60mph my front hubs were only warm to the touch. And it was smoother driving.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all came from the same dinosaur's rear.
Not the synthetics, obviously. While there are a few processes that use petroleum as a base for the creation of synthetic oil, most are done completely with chemical raw materials.

Synthetic oils have way better mechanical properties. Significantly less friction, more resistant to oxidation, more resistant to thermal breakdown, withstands more pressure in thin films without being displaced, etc.

If you don't normally splurge on synthetic oil, a good time is when replacing oils that aren't frequently changed, such as axles. https://smile.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Gear-75W90-Gal/dp/B002DTL60E/

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not the synthetics, obviously. While there are a few processes that use petroleum as a base for the creation of synthetic oil, most are done completely with chemical raw materials.

Synthetic oils have way better mechanical properties. Significantly less friction, more resistant to oxidation, more resistant to thermal breakdown, withstands more pressure in thin films without being displaced, etc.

If you don't normally splurge on synthetic oil, a good time is when replacing oils that aren't frequently changed, such as axles. https://smile.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Gear-75W90-Gal/dp/B002DTL60E/
For what you people are using your trucks for any gear oil will do. It will not hurt it. Temps may be lower. It has different additives but in reality unless you are providing strenuous activity on the axle day in and day out. You will never notice a difference. I run normal 80w90 non syn in my axles and they run 4000 miles in a week with a load on them. It all works the same.

It all should be changed every 250,000 to 500,000 or 3years which your truck will never see that mileage so just plan on saving your money and changing it every 3 years with basic stuff.

Spicer synthetic oil is cheaper than royal purple and has a higher flash point and better viscosity temps if we are going to go with the tech data on quality vs price.

And let's add to that Spicer gear oil Is the OE brand used and sold by Freightliner, Mack, Hino,oshkosh, western star, kenworth, volvo, peterbilt and international. Royal purple has only been in the big truck commercial market a little over 18 months with their Duralec series of products. It compares to the spicer gear oil but it is around $315 for a 5 gallon pail.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has different additives but in reality unless you are providing strenuous activity on the axle day in and day out. You will never notice a difference.
I don't think that's a fair statement. There are still a lot of benefits that even a casual drivers can appreciate. Lower temperatures and dramatically increased lubricity are going to reduce wear on metal parts and prolong the life of seals. Even though it's twice as much in relative terms, we're only talking about the difference of $100 or so. If that extra lubrication extends or prevents the need to replace a single part or seal, it has paid for itself easily. Factor in that we don't have the Army's logistics chain dropping off "free" parts, and it's even more valuable. Unlike the Army, who has to make cost decisions based on outfitting 100,000 of these trucks, we can easily put higher quality fluids and components into our one truck, to take care of it as best as possible. The synthetic oils' abilities to resist thermal breakdown and oxidation also make it last much longer, meaning you should be able to extend your oil change intervals both by time and distance - that itself offsets the cost.

The lubrication benefits of synthetic oils, especially high-end types, are pretty amazing. There are lots of scientific studies on it, but I still think back to an anecdotal story that is easier to visualize. When you get conventional oil on your hand, you can usually wipe it off with a clean paper towel to the point where you can easily grip things again (e.g. grip tight enough to open a tightly closed container). With the high-quality synthetic oils that's not really possible - even if you use a couple of clean paper towels, the tiniest amount of residual oil still makes it extremely difficult to grip items securely. It's a clear difference, you can literally feel. There are also numerous emperical tests you can watch in YouTube videos (yes, some are more relevant tests than others).

There's really no downside, other than the extra $100.

I'll look into that Spicer gear oil. Unfortunately, it probably won't be as easy to find tests/studies/shootouts between commercial truck products, as you can for consumer products. I'm not sure Spicer's oil being the OE for a bunch of brands really means it's better oil, because again they are likely to need to balance the cost of supplying a great number of trucks. I'm interested in whichever performs the best, if they're all in the same magnitude of cost. (I'm not saying that Royal Purple does perform the best against Spicer - there's no evidence either way - but their other products show a trend that their oils perform extremely well across the board. So I think it's a good recommendation, too.)

Similar to Suprman's experience, after I put the Royal Purple (synthetic) oil in my front hubs, there was a drastic decrease in temperature after long drives in the 95°F summer heat. The hubs now run about 20°F lower than before, and are barely warm to the touch after a drive (e.g. previously around 125°F, and now around 105°F). Yes, I see your argument that the temperature change doesn't itself gain me anything, but that means that there is significantly less friction on everything involved, and that means less wear and tear. Just to fill the hubs is about a $5-10 difference.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have found the synth stuff dosnt get cloudy and smelly from sitting over time. I dont put that many miles on my trucks. Its just one less thing to worry about. I do synth engine oil too. The cat engines seem to like it better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks