• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about importing vehicle into US, specifically engine change.

rongaudier

What I need to know for certain is if installing a new, original specification engine into the vehicle will now disqualify from EPA 25 year exemption. I understand that not every vehicle that comes in gets an inspection, and it may not be possible for the inspector to make the determination that the engine is new, but "what if".

Please, anyone that knows for sure and is not just guessing please pipe in.

https://youtu.be/cgJUT1ciam8

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My importation experience is that you can bring in any combination of older vehicle and and engine you desire. It's when and where you title and register the vehicle that causes the scrutiny that you are concerned about.

The last two vehicles I brought in were over 25 years old. They both had engines and emissions systems upgrades that made them cleaner than the original issue. Neither vehicle was a problem getting matriculated, but neither were in the state of Texas.

Best wishes,
Rick

rongaudier

My importation experience is that you can bring in any combination of older vehicle and and engine you desire. It's when and where you title and register the vehicle that causes the scrutiny that you are concerned about.

The last two vehicles I brought in were over 25 years old. They both had engines and emissions systems upgrades that made them cleaner than the original issue. Neither vehicle was a problem getting matriculated, but neither were in the state of Texas.

Best wishes,
Rick
Thanks, that's encouraging. I couldn't find anything specific to this question on the EPA site. I believe Texas won't be a problem, I just don't want the thing to get hung up at customs. BTW, the engine change has not been reflected in the "technical passport" of the vehicle so there is nothing in the paperwork to indicate that anything changed. Only the nice new shiny parts. But then I could claim it was "rebuilt". Hey do you know a good customs broker that specializes in this sort of thing? Thanks.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most shipping companies have in-house brokers, so I'd go that way first. If not, the shipper can give you a list of the brokers they work with.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks