• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MA HMMWV owners - RMV question

claptonisgod

My truck is turning 25 this upcoming year, which means I’ll finally be able to title it in MA and register it if I want given its antique status. I’ve had it registered in Vermont since I bought it four years ago, so will get in the door at the RMV that way. My question for other owners in Massachusetts is what to put on the RMV-1. Specifically, make, model, and VIN (are they fine with the six digit serial, will I need a LEO to verify it, etc.)? Thanks

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In New York I had to call over a supervisor to click a special screen for the 6 digit VIN.

If I were you, I might bring a printed picture of the VIN plate. That is what helped me in NY. The supervisor took one look and then looked and the prior title from another state with the same 6 digit VIN, and said that was all the proof he needed

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wrote 1987 AMG HMMWV

When get home I will check registration card to see what they wrote.

EDIT - Agree with Action who posted below to copy prior title. I copied prior title verbatim.

Last edited:

Action

My truck is turning 25 this upcoming year, which means I’ll finally be able to title it in MA and register it if I want given its antique status. I’ve had it registered in Vermont since I bought it four years ago, so will get in the door at the RMV that way. My question for other owners in Massachusetts is what to put on the RMV-1. Specifically, make, model, and VIN (are they fine with the six digit serial, will I need a LEO to verify it, etc.)? Thanks
Sounds like another owner bypassing the systems in his / her state.
Why don't you just use the make / model that are currently on the Vermont registration?

claptonisgod

Sounds like another owner bypassing the systems in his / her state.
Why don't you just use the make / model that are currently on the Vermont registration?
I would, but it just says “TK” for model and I’d rather it say HMMWV, so if I can get it titled as that with the MA RMV, will try to but they’ll correct me if not. Believe me, if there was any other way to have done it I would’ve, but MA makes zero exceptions for titles regardless of antique status unless it was owned and registered in the state prior to sometime in the early ‘80s IIRC. I bought it on a bill of sale from a private individual, not from auction directly. Now that it’s time to bring it into my own state, I’m just making sure I do everything right.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought a few older, out of state trucks and one imported vehicle into MA. I found it useful to visit the RMV in advance. The folks in the New Bedford office were helpful, and my registrations went easily.

I went in with the attitude of not asking IF, but rather HOW to get it done. I put all the info on the desk and made notes of what and how to get it done. I hope you have the same experience.

Best wishes,
Rick

claptonisgod

I brought a few older, out of state trucks and one imported vehicle into MA. I found it useful to visit the RMV in advance. The folks in the New Bedford office were helpful, and my registrations went easily.

I went in with the attitude of not asking IF, but rather HOW to get it done. I put all the info on the desk and made notes of what and how to get it done. I hope you have the same experience.

Best wishes,
Rick
Thanks for the kind words, (un)fortunately I’m pretty familiar with the RMV at this point after buying a variety of unusual vehicles with unusual paperwork (we actually also just imported a vehicle into MA from Spain by way of NJ USCBP, now that was an adventure) so mainly just seeing if anyone on here has a MA-titled truck (I know they’re out there, have seen a bunch with plates in person and online) and what it’s called on paper

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would, but it just says “TK” for model and I’d rather it say HMMWV, so if I can get it titled as that with the MA RMV, will try to but they’ll correct me if not. Believe me, if there was any other way to have done it I would’ve, but MA makes zero exceptions for titles regardless of antique status unless it was owned and registered in the state prior to sometime in the early ‘80s IIRC. I bought it on just a bill of sale from a private individual, and Vermont only requires a bill of sale if it’s over 15 years old, so it was the only option I had to establish ownership and keep it from being a lawn ornament. Now that it’s time to bring it into my own state, I’m just making sure I do everything right.
Looks like you're trying to be honest, and kudos to you.

In defense of the other poster's comments, there have been a few posts where people have tried to register by trying to skirt local law.

I just remembered the sticky prohibiting this stuff, so I post it before a Moderator or the site owner becomes unhappy.

There are rules on this Forum regarding posts asking how to title vehicles. It seems you are not asking how to bypass SF97, so I hope the mods are cool with all this.

That being said, read the stickies:

"With the new sales of HMMWVs from GovPlanet and Govliquidation many people are asking on how to title them for on-road use.

The government is allowing these trucks to be sold by the auction sites but with the restriction that they are for OFF-ROAD use only and WILL NOT be titled for on-road use. This a DoD regulation/restriction and is not controlled by the auction sites or individual State DMVs

Because of this restriction this site will not allow any discussion on how to "break" this rule and title the Humvee for on road use."

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138670-HMMWV-Titling

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I suggest not discussing the VT title process, and good luck.

claptonisgod

Redacted. For the sake of argument, let's suppose someone in Massachusetts bought a 1990s auction truck and they were going to title it in their name, and were a little confused about what to put down for the make and model. What would then be the proper way to proceed if anyone in MA has any knowledge of titled HMMWVs of any vintage? I think I steer somewhat clear of that since I didn't buy mine at auction, and it's just a bureaucratic labeling question, so hopefully acceptable.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

I can't believe there is still a 90's auction truck that hasn't already been titled someplace.
I'd just use the same info on the existing title.
basically your just changing the name of the new registered owner and the State in which the HMMWV now resides.
The data plate on the drivers side by the B pillar has all the information.
And should match what the previous title and registration says.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks