• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV-->Rally Truck clone/poser/wannabe build thread

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is most different, aesthetically, before and after?

Enclosing the back,
higher stance w/ the open tire tread pattern,
paint of course,
lotsa lights.

**Update Dec 12, 2018**

I have this same thread in three different places. To make it easier for me to maintain, the continuation will be here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/back-to-a-big-truck.198028/

RF.jpgDAKAR light bar.jpgdakar-banner-racing-trucks.JPG

Last edited:

aleigh

For what it's worth, I've jumped mine, although I can't say I recommend it. This has been talked before, I think even on a thread I brought up, but a big issue is getting a cage on a cabover while preserving the tilt function (and not adding too much weight to an already front-heavy platform). There are probably only "a few companies in the world" that can fab something like that. We've kind of kicked around the idea of an arch (like a tractor) behind the cab so if you roll it, it takes the weight, but of course someone would have to do the engineering...

There have been lots of rollover deaths associated with the FMTV (and other mil / commercial trucks in general) because the cabs just squish. I feel like you have to solve that though before you worry about the rest.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I've jumped mine, although I can't say I recommend it. This has been talked before, I think even on a thread I brought up, but a big issue is getting a cage on a cabover while preserving the tilt function (and not adding too much weight to an already front-heavy platform). There are probably only "a few companies in the world" that can fab something like that. We've kind of kicked around the idea of an arch (like a tractor) behind the cab so if you roll it, it takes the weight, but of course someone would have to do the engineering...

There have been lots of rollover deaths associated with the FMTV (and other mil / commercial trucks in general) because the cabs just squish. I feel like you have to solve that though before you worry about the rest.
Wifey says the same thing: "Where's the roll cage?"

aleigh

Those guys are out in Issaquah in the Seattle area, my old stomping grounds. I don't think they intend that truck to be a race truck, it's more something they can take to shows to demonstrate their shops fabrication skills, and that kind of thing. They have a couple of them now, it is always nice to drive by and see them in the parking lot. IIRC, and maybe I am drunk here, but another one of theirs is a kind of mobile stage.

** edit ah if I had only watched the video before posting

Last edited:

319cssb

If you had the means to do this kind of thing, you'd have done it already. And would just have posted pictures of the look of your new truck here. But its always nice to dream.
And no, I didnt think of doing that to my truck ever.
Because I do know how large of a figure it takes to pull this off. And i can fabricate my own stuff!

B-Dog

I just took delivery of the truck yesterday...sheeesh ;)

As to resources: I have been on this site a loooong time and have demonstrated that I have more money than sense ;)
I'm an engineer, fabricator and machinist. Hit me up; I'll help you with that over abundance of funds

aleigh

I'm an engineer, fabricator and machinist. Hit me up; I'll help you with that over abundance of funds
If you do that kind of work, I was just starting to shop around to find a fabricator willing to weld up a frame to mate an off-the-shelf crank-up self-supporting antenna tower with a trailer chassis. Thinking 40' ballpark. I have a rolling M105 chassis already for the project. The frame is straightforward to fab, there are examples, but nobody seems to know how to do the math to figure out how big outriggers need to be to keep it from tipping over.

B-Dog

If you do that kind of work, I was just starting to shop around to find a fabricator willing to weld up a frame to mate an off-the-shelf crank-up self-supporting antenna tower with a trailer chassis. Thinking 40' ballpark. I have a rolling M105 chassis already for the project. The frame is straightforward to fab, there are examples, but nobody seems to know how to do the math to figure out how big outriggers need to be to keep it from tipping over.
I would be happy to chat and see if I can be of service! PM sent.

Cheers!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11_19_18 update

Thank you for the kind offer, though I already have an extraordinarily talented fabricator:

http://arizonajeeparmorrocksliders.com/

I agree with the notion that safety is first.

So, the thought is to build a roll cage in the style of a "capsule". If the seats ( therefore the people harnessed to the seats) are attached to the capsule, then not only do I not worry about the cab crushing, rather, even if the cab were to separate from the truck we should survive. I'll get Robert's take on that. This approach preserves the cab tilt feature.

After finalizing a design, will get the stripped down cab to the shop then let the fabrication begin!!

Last edited:

319cssb

I like the notion of safety too. Like learning how to drive a truck of the size of an lmtv and understanding the physics involved. Defensive driving works very well . And knowing how to use this vehicle off road and understanding its limitations is a perfect roll cage.

Third From Texas

Well if it's just a poser rally truck build, you don't really need an extraordinarily talented fabricator.

You can just get a couple bolt-together rollbars from JC Whitney and screw them to the floor.

;p

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if it's just a poser rally truck build, you don't really need an extraordinarily talented fabricator.

You can just get a couple bolt-together rollbars from JC Whitney and screw them to the floor.

;p
I actually do want to have a chance to survive a rollover, so the rollcage will be "real". The pics of LMTV cabs crushed like a beer can is pretty convincing.

I am not going to race the truck, however it will see offroad driving in adverse conditions.

Last edited:

319cssb

I actually do want to have a chance to survive a rollover, so the rollcage will be "real". The pics of LMTV cabs crushed like a beer can is pretty convincing.

I am not going to race the truck, however it will see offroad driving in adverse conditions.
As the title suggests , this is only clone/poser/wannabe. Do some offloading in an LMTV first, learn how to drive off the street with an LMTV.
You'll fond out that you won't be able to get in sticky situations where the roll over cage is warranted.

The crushed cabs you see is due to too high speeds. low tire inflation. dry rotted tires. PMSC beats clone/poser/wannabe roll cage.

aleigh

Think of all the time you can save by not wearing a seatbelt when you learn to drive perfectly too. I wonder what's up with all the gear UTV drivers wear. They must still be practicing I guess.

319cssb

Think of all the time you can save by not wearing a seatbelt when you learn to drive perfectly too. I wonder what's up with all the gear UTV drivers wear. They must still be practicing I guess.
What you said there , doesn't make any sense. I didn't say don't wear a seatbelt. I said that knowledge is important.
actually three things are important knowledge , skill and judgement. You got all these three together you are living the good life.
lacking one or two is what get you in trouble.

aleigh

I've just never heard anyone advocate against safety equipment for an off-road application in a non-ironic fashion before. I think my outlook is more the roll cage is more impractical than it is unwarranted or undesired. I sure desire one. Stuff happens. Especially in snow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks