• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear reduction starter and flexplate

319cssb

I decided to work on the CUCV I got a while ago and I noticed that the starter doesn't engage properly , I found out that some of the gears on the flexplate seem to be stripped.
There is a gear reduction starter installed a,d Now I al wondering if that could be the cause for the stripped gears? I ordered a new flexplate, but if I don't have to I'd rather use the same starter that is in there right now.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it wasnt installed right it could be the cause. Some of them need shims, more importantly all of them need the brace at the opposite end of the starter. I'd start there.

319cssb

Wouldnt shims bring the starter gear even further away from the flexplate ?
ill check the brace is there a part number in case it is not present?

snowtrac nome

The clearance for the starter is supposed to be about 40 to 60 thousandths as I remember. Too tight or too loose will shorten the life of the dental work on your flexplate. The military went to the no shim housings, but most gear reduction starters are aftermarket and may require the shim. With the shorter lighter gear reduction starter, there is no need for the front support, and you will find no provision for one on the replacement gear reduction starter.

TGP (IL)

"With the shorter lighter gear reduction starter, there is no need for the front support,
and you will find no provision for one on the replacement gear reduction starter"
I don't know what gear reduction starter your using, but yes it needs the support bracket.
Mine has one and there is also a GM part number for it, which I don't have handy at this moment.

I suppose the gear reduction racing starters from Summit or the like is what your referring too?

But if you have a Delco or even the Chinese Delco it requires a bracket.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

By all means put the starter support bracket on every starter you install on a 6.2 and a 6.5. They are required. Also changing the ring gear/flex plate can be as simple as installing 4- 3/8" X 4" grade 8 bolts in the place of the 9 11 1 & 2 o'clock position of the bell housing. Slide the transmission/transfer case assembly back and reach up in there and change and torque the 6- bolts attaching the ring gear/ flex plate. Torque it and slide and reassemble the truck. Much easier then dropping the assembly. Unless you have a lift and want to do extra work. Simple task. About 4 hours laying on the ground with a sheet of plywood and a wheeled floor jack. Of course tools. Good Luck.

Matt5

Banned
With the shorter lighter gear reduction starter, there is no need for the front support
you think the starter weighs so much it needs extra support...? it is the TORQUE from turning over a high compression diesel engine that needs bracing... not a 30lb starter. With out the bracket sooner or later you are going to break the starter bolts off in the block.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM part number for the original direct drive starter is 14028931. The part number for the newer gear reduction starter is 23502557. New starter bolts are 15544950. The bolt to hold either bracket on us a M8-25x20mm. Use blue LocTite.

Hope this helps.

MarcusOReallyus

ill check the brace is there a part number in case it is not present?
The part number has already been provided, but just for future reference, all the GM part numbers are in the TMs, which are available for free download on this site. If you have not downloaded them yet, it's past time to do so. Many common part numbers can also be found in the Wiki.

:beer:

Too tight or too loose will shorten the life of the dental work on your flexplate.
Heh. That line made me laugh. :)

nyoffroad

you think the starter weighs so much it needs extra support...? it is the TORQUE from turning over a high compression diesel engine that needs bracing... not a 30lb starter. With out the bracket sooner or later you are going to break the starter bolts off in the block.
I always just assumed the bracket was due to the weight of the starter, not so much for on the road driving but more for off road where bumps would cause the starter to bend/break the bolts or ear on the block. Seen both but never on one of mine.

Matt5

Banned
Better put one on. Have had multiple trucks here with broken starter bolts all missing the bracket or having it not bolted on to both starter and truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks