• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 dust proofing

Gunfreak25

How many here have completely re sealed their M1009's with new weatherstripping and seals?

The 09 absolutely choked everyone on the last trail ride with fine dust. I resealed the tailgate and have a new LMC carpet kit front and rear.

The dust still seems to pour in the front windows.

So if I spend the 500 bucks on an entire seal kit, plug all the other tiny holes and invest the time, is she still gonna leak like a sieve?

My Cherokee is tight as a drum on the dustiest roads, it's becoming my go to vehicle offroad but it isn't NEARLY as fun as the 09 to drive everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

You have definite problems if you have that much dust coming in that people are choking. May I suggest you check for some rust thru in the 1/4 panels. With the windows all closed the cabin should be sealed by the door vents. Are the front door vents missing on the bottom of the doors? Are the front cowl vents closing and are they present? I drove my M1009 in the finest silt dust and never had it coming in so bad I was choking. I mean I got a bit dirty a few times. I drove thru the middle of the biggest mud holes. I had exhaust come in the under dash once when the tailpipe was bent up under the 1/4 panel. But I fixed that quick. It was coming out the B pillar seat belt holes at the same time. If a bit of incoming dust is going to bother you when off roading. Perhaps you can join a club and do scavenger hunts for no profit organizations. Most of them are held on rural suburban roads on sunny days. Comparing an M1009 to a Jeep Cherokee is like comparing water to wine. Totally different purpose built vehicles. Good Luck. It can be made weather/dust resistant but I think you have holes in places that are not supposed to be there.

sneekyeye

When I put window glass runs and door seals on the 1028, it was night and day different. I suppose it should be, but the window glass rattle was gone, the doors shut tighter. I would recommend it to anybody.
I did replace the passenger side vent window weatherstrip which was kind of a pain, but now I don't get a whistle.

nyoffroad

Another place dust and water can come in is rusted thru vent behind the fender and below the cowl panel. Quite common up here in NY not so much in AZ! Up here they get clogged with leaves and then rust out.

Gunfreak25

Thank you, just trying to get an idea of how a newish sealed truck would....seal.

Looks like a big order to motor city K5 is in the works. I'm gonna do it all.

LastFbody

Should make a massive difference with interior noise as well. If everythings more or less functional you don't need to scream to talk to your passengers on the freeway.

My seals were all junk when I first got the truck, it was like trying to talk to someone next to a jet before I replaced them.

Gunfreak25

I replaced the tailgate seal for now. I went out a couple days ago on a good old dusty AZ trail and was pleased to find the dust was pretty much non existant. Rolling the windows up and turning the blower on high also worked to pressurize the cab a bit.

Exploring the big eye mine

snowtrac nome

I would also crawl under the truck and look at the inner rocker panels for rust through, a common place for holes to show up is right behind the rear seat mounting points.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks