• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M38 next.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to start on the M38 next. I got this engine out of a modified M38A1. It is originally from a MB. I took it all apart replaced gaskets ect. It ran really good. I am not sure I am going as crazy as I did on the M37.....
.engine.JPG

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the one from the M38A1C. Been wrapping up issues with the M37 as they arise. Off school till mid January, so the M37 is a total stoppage.

dmetalmiki

Looks like a nice project, (And), Not too heavy...Unlike mine on the wrecker, But then success (Accomplishment), Breeds 'Happiness'..

mdainsd

The motor is NOT a WWII block casting. It has the serial pad above the water pump. WWII have an oval pad on the right side of the engine at the front just below the deck. Is the serial number still readable on the pad? There is a chance of it being a Willys post war replacement engine. The serial number will tell us.

SturmTyger380

That shop is too clean! My shop looks like a bomb went off. I did organize my parts for my M37 project. At that point I realized I had about 6 exhaust hangers. Guess I forgot I had some. Then a buddy brought me his leftovers from his M37 project and I have more exhaust hangers. :roll:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor is NOT a WWII block casting. It has the serial pad above the water pump. WWII have an oval pad on the right side of the engine at the front just below the deck. Is the serial number still readable on the pad? There is a chance of it being a Willys post war replacement engine. The serial number will tell us.
The number is 1MB41886. I don't know squat about these, I guessed the MB 41 made it a WW2. I do know it has the single pulley setup from a CJ2A which I am thinking of swappimg with the origional.

dmetalmiki

Not my shop, it's the Laramie County Community College Auto Technology shop. (I seem to have taken over my own section) :shock: I got the brake parts painted and new carb arrived today!
View attachment 754796
And I was just going to 'quip', "You missed a speck of dust over by the ramp"!
Great shop, Great project.
Just a thought,..Woudn't that situation (Also) make for a great young student (helpers) project to introduce the young to the hobby?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear axle done except one hub (Bent, AWP) Starting to pull engine/trans/transfer.
j1.JPGj2.JPGj3.JPGj4.JPGj5.JPG

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the plan for that engine?
Need one? I think the block will be okay. Head is cracked I am pretty sure. I am not going to use it. (it has the timing chain and GPW cast into the side.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks