• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator will not charge until I slave it with running truck

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 24 and 12 volts at alternator 24 at excite terminal
No charge the second I plug slave cable to another truck running the alternator starts charging with flashing green lights

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What about with the headlights on?

I have one that will drop voltage and and not charge until I throw a load on it

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried every thing.
With truck running the lights on regulator will flash back and forth amber.
Start other truck up put slave cable on and truck starts charging and lights on regulator start flashing green.
Shut truck off that's slaving truck and no charge and lights flash amber.

Ronmar

Dosnt sound like your alternator is putting out anything at any point. If the other truck is running, you are not really charging/delivering any current out of the alternator, as the other truck is doing that. This is pushing the voltage on the busses up to the point where the regulator thinks it is doing its job and it goes green...

found this a while back, might help you wring out the windings to determine what is wrong...

https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG0018A_uid12172009221392.pdf

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks