• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another new guy from Maryland

Ajax MD

Hey all,

I joined because I'm shopping for a truck. I have a few leads that I'm following up and I'll post here when I have questions or need help.

I served more than half of my career in submarines and the other half was spent in a coastal warfare unit where I was licensed on HMMWVs, 2.5t and 5t. Some were old "widow makers" with manual trans, uni-directional double tires and some were newer with automatics and CTIS. We called 'em "Super Singles."

A road legal HMMWV would be nice but is out of my price range for now, so I'm looking at older 2.5 or 5t trucks. The purpose of the truck is pure fun and would be lightly used, I'm not trying to press one into commercial service. My mind is wide open on possible configurations but the simpler, the better. Winch is nice but not required. Not looking to spend a fortune.

One question- Is there a military truck enthusiast group that meets up in Maryland somewhere? (Probably southern Maryland, if I had to guess)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey all,

I joined because I'm shopping for a truck. I have a few leads that I'm following up and I'll post here when I have questions or need help.

I served more than half of my career in submarines and the other half was spent in a coastal warfare unit where I was licensed on HMMWVs, 2.5t and 5t. Some were old "widow makers" with manual trans, uni-directional double tires and some were newer with automatics and CTIS. We called 'em "Super Singles."

A road legal HMMWV would be nice but is out of my price range for now, so I'm looking at older 2.5 or 5t trucks. The purpose of the truck is pure fun and would be lightly used, I'm not trying to press one into commercial service. My mind is wide open on possible configurations but the simpler, the better. Winch is nice but not required. Not looking to spend a fortune.

One question- Is there a military truck enthusiast group that meets up in Maryland somewhere? (Probably southern Maryland, if I had to guess)
Welcome. John Appel (member JCappelJr) has a nice 5 ton M923 up near Bel Air, MD for $6000 with lockers. It is in the classifieds. the M939 series trucks have safer brake systems and are easier to operate. The m939 trucks have gone up in price

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?180423-1984-usmc-m923-with-lockers

Ajax MD

@simp5782 Thanks for the tip. That's not bad and I'll check in the classifieds.

I realize that driving these trucks, especially the older ones are a physical workout. I'm ok with that.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. PM me if you want to stop by to see or drive anything I own. I am on the other side of DC from you, though. It would probably be about 90 minutes from you.

Katavic918

Wow, plenty of Marylanders here. Do you guys know each other? Ever meet up?
No, we all hate each other.😁 I used to meet with 4 or 5 members around eldersburg but we haven't for a while. The nice thing is you can usually find parts or help from someone local via the classified section of the site.

F18hornetM

Wow, plenty of Marylanders here. Do you guys know each other? Ever meet up?
There seems to be quit a few from Maryland on here but It seems all are from the western side of the Chesapeake Bay. I do know some guys over your way have get togethers. Which if I was closer would be fun.

NormB

Welcome to the madness.

I know ONE HMMWV owner, “AOR”. Passed along an “extra” 12 bolt rim to him, let him sit in my HMMWV and he had one of his own within weeks; then I sold my M1102 trailer to him.

Several other owners here.

There’s a parts guy, Brett, his dad (RIP) used to post here as “Decodeme2” in Upper Marlboro (off rte 4 past the equestrian center), may still have some trucks. Last I spoke with him was about a year ago, he had several HMMWVs, a bobbed deuce, LMTV, gensets, slantback and hard door sets and several conexes full of stuff. Think he still has some things over on the evil auction site.

Norm

m109a2

Welcome to the site,When I signed up here I was looking for a 109a3. But after talking with these fine gentlemen I ended up with a 1971 m35a2 w/w,air assist,heater,led running lights,convoy lights rotating beacons two 0n cab 0ne back of trailer.A m35a2 frame mated with A 105 for pinal with a 109 box with racks,cabinets,flat screen and a/c.What you want to do is take your time your dream rig is out there.Al.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks