• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fehmarn to Berlin 300 miles on wheels

Guyfang

Staff member
Good job you two! Don't you just love it when a plan works from start to finish!

I got to drive this type of truck a bunch when I was stationed in K-Town. Better said, Miesau, 611th Ord. We were DS/GS maintenance for Patriot and Hawk Air Defence systems. Our unit had all the float equipment, (think of it as loaner equipment) for Patriot. When ever something was deadlined too long, the owning unit and the 611th would "trade" equipment. The owning unit got our Fully Mission Capable, (FMC) equipment, and we got a (NMC) broken down, raped, robbed, piece of junk. For years, the owning unit had to come to us, to get the FMC equipment. We had no tractors to pull the patriot radar or launchers down to unit. Then, they had to pull our "new" NMC back to our shops. Then the Pershing missle system was taken out of commission in Europe. All the sudden we were given 6 MAN tractors. No we could get things underway, in half the time. So several of us went to a German unit and did some driver training. Great trucks. Lots of fun driving them.

Yours looks like it's in Good condition. In June, when I go to Berlin for the Eric Clapton concert, if we have time, I need to come over and take a look!

Hello!

Congratulations. Horny cart! I would like too.
In the German Army, I also drove with a flatbed and a tank top, these were always my two babies. I love these vehicles, including the 3 and 4 axles.
Very nice that a Rotzler winds is there.
With a little care, the trucks actually last forever.
You just have to be careful with the reserve tire, the drain and pull back is a bit dangerous. Always stay sideways, never before!
But with your Capricorn Stacker this should not be a problem.
In the German Army time, the fuel filters are torn twice in 10000km and once the engine brake switch was broken.
Otherwise, except oil and filter changes nothing.

I wish a lot of fun with the GL.

In German:
Gratulation. Geile Karre! Hätte ich auch gerne.
Bei der Bundeswehr habe ich auch so einen mit Pritsche und einen mit Tankaufsatz gefahren, das waren immer meine zwei Babys. Ich liebe diese Fahrzeuge, auch die 3 und 4 Achser.
Sehr schön, daß eine Rotzler Winde dabei ist.
Mit ein bißchen Pflege halten die LKW eigentlich ewig.
Man muß nur aufpassen mit dem Reservereifen, das ablassen und wieder hochziehen ist etwas gefährlich. Immer seitlich bleiben, nie davor!
Aber mit Deinem Steinbock Stapler dürfte das ja kein Problem sein.
In der Bundeswehrzeit sind zweimal in 10000km die Kraftstofffilter gerissen und einmal war der Motorbremse Schalter kaputt.
Ansonsten außer Öl- und Filterwechsel nichts.

Ich wünsche viel Spaß mit dem GL.

Greetings from Germany,

Holgi

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Migginsbros you have yourself one heck of a beautiful truck there, it looks to be in darn near perfect condition, I would go so far as to say almost new! I bet it was a really beautiful drive, great truck great scenery how does it get any better than that? CONGRATULATIONS on you purchase that truck sure looks like a serious KEEPER guys very well done! Please keep the pics coming!

Karl

Crapgame

I drove the Corridor between Checkpoint Bravo and Checkpoint Alpha dozens of times during my first tour for trips to Wildflecken, Grafenwoehr and other posts in the West for live fire training. Second tour we were no longer constrained by the Potsdam Conference Rules, we took the A9 southern route past Leipzig.

Guyfang

Staff member
I drove the Corridor between Checkpoint Bravo and Checkpoint Alpha dozens of times during my first tour for trips to Wildflecken, Grafenwoehr and other posts in the West for live fire training. Second tour we were no longer constrained by the Potsdam Conference Rules, we took the A9 southern route past Leipzig.

At that time the A9 should have been a Catastrophe. The A72 to Cottbus was even worse. We drove from Burgkunstadt where I live, to Cottbus, (330 Km.) in 9.5 hours. The "Autobahn" was a series of rotting concrete pads, more or less alongside each other, that were so far out of level my co driver was sea sick the whole way. It took 10.5 hours to get home. 20.5 hours drive time, half hours work and 660 Km total distance. I worked for a construction company that made a good part of the A9 and A72, and most of the bridges. Back then, traveling in the East, was intresting.

99nouns

A nice guy from Hamburg had a look some weeks before and give us some informations about the condition
of this MV. Following his oppinion we gonna make it. Hope the window vent/heater will work fine on the way.
In preparation of the trip we sent at least 4 boxes with tools, filters,bulbs, fuses, warm boots and jackets,....
by parcel service.
View attachment 748943 View attachment 748942 View attachment 748944
By looking at the pictures, it seems like OCD and OD goes very hand to hand...

Migginsbros

Migginsbros you have yourself one heck of a beautiful truck there, it looks to be in darn near perfect condition, I would go so far as to say almost new! I bet it was a really beautiful drive, great truck great scenery how does it get any better than that? CONGRATULATIONS on you purchase that truck sure looks like a serious KEEPER guys very well done! Please keep the pics coming!

Karl
Karl, more pics at https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...018-December-VOTE-HERE!&p=2181365#post2181365

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks