• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased and await delivery of M1102 with fiberglass top. Wanna make a camper.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1102 TAN with Fiberglass top, CAMO.

1) Is there a good thread about routine maintenance and essential upgrades?

2) What is best paint and supplier to paint tan CARC to Green with added Camo? I would prefer all one color, and my HMMWV is Camo too.

3) Any threads particularly devoted to M1102 with fiberglass top transformed into trailer? I wanna fish and occasionally hunt. I'm in BK, NY, and wanna drive to ski in Vermont, to Mississippi to catch jumping carp, and drive to Florida to fly-fish snakefish. I was gonna build a teardrop trailer, but now that I'm getting this... why bother? The M1102 is a solid platform with off-road capabilities IIRC.

4) Anyone do a 4 man pop-up-camper to attach to top of this (or any) trailer fiberglass top? That might allow cooking and gear storage and stowage of fish and meat inside the rig. Winter however might require insulation and sleeping inside the trailer with proper ventilation installed.

Search on this forum is hit and miss, so I got lots of results with no information.

Thanks in Advance,

t

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the old threads about your model trailer.

A ton of information in them and answers to questions you haven’t even thought of yet.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the old threads about your model trailer.

A ton of information in them and answers to questions you haven’t even thought of yet.
I searched M1102 and M1101, but there's a lot of chaff while looking for the grain, so that is why I posted.

Thanks,

T

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched M1102 and M1101, but there's a lot of chaff while looking for the grain, so that is why I posted.
Thanks, T
Wasn't referring to a search.
Just go through the old threads and read the ones that apply to your trailer.
The information you come across is invaluable.

That’s what I meant about answers to questions you haven’t thought of yet.

It does take some time but is well worth it.

DeadParrot

Don't forget there are other search engines then Google. Many of the search engines play ranking games that skew results based on past searches, saved cookies, operating system, phase of the moon, etc. Not finding what you need? Try Yahoo, Bing or use a different device.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally received my M1102 with fiberglass top.

Paid months ago but had trouble getting it shipped for a reasonable fee.

Missing the crown bolt [EDIT - MISSING CROWN NUT, not bolt] that holds the upper shock absorber to the upper mount. Anyone know a size or part number or even better A SOURCE?

Otherwise a few small dents, brand new tires with nipples still on them (99% tread), and a great fiberglass top with a small defect that is easily fixed but really doesn't affect function.

I will need to replace brake fluid, and place centromatics on the rims. I want to repaint with Behr paint to turn the tan bed camo, (just like the top and the M1025 pulling her.)

Gonna check brakes too along with "ez stop" mechanism.

Thinking roof top camper with inner additional mattress, and spray foam insulation, maybe 1.5 inch thick to the top. Bed liner or custom removable insulation to the metal bed.

nopics

SO I add the following:

IMG_8933.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice top. Is it just missing the bolt? TM 9-2330-392-14&P shows NSN for bolt and bracket below.
8 PAOZZ 5305014154725 12128 590832B SCREW,CAP,HEXAGON H ............... 1
9 PAOZZ 2590014175816 19207 12449996 BRACKET,VEHICULAR C ............... 1

Bolt is described here: https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/5305-01-415-4725.html
I used the wrong word... Sorry. Crown NUT, not bolt.

Bolt is there. Just need the crown nut (and cotter pin).

Pics below show missing crown NUT AND crown NUT on other side.

[Sorry I used the wrong word...OOPS. Anyone else smelling burnt toast?]

IMG_8938.jpgIMG_8939.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks like a 7/8" fine thread or something of that size. local fastenal and get one of each in that size range or take the lower off with you and match it up. Not rocket science.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a 7/8" fine thread or something of that size. local fastenal and get one of each in that size range or take the lower off with you and match it up. Not rocket science.

The issue is that the tire needs to be removed in order to remove the bolt to get it sized. No, not rocket science but certainly easier to ask on the forum to save some heavy lifting in the cold of Winter. Know what I mean?

Sorry if that was not clear.

T

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Um an impact gun and take the other upper off then. You dont need the bolt. The nut on the opposite side is the same thing. You just need the nut to size it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just look the NSN up in the TM and search parttarget.com it will give you the specs on the nut in about 2 minutes of searching.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why didn’t you update your other thread about this trailer instead of starting a new one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks