• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best mechanical transfer case with 2WD option for HMMWV

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE
Did BowTie help with the TM wire and adapter plate, and did they help with sourcing a 4 speed shifter?
No, Bowtie is strictly a transmission builder. The original TH400 shifter in my 1984 M1028 will bolt right up to the 700R4 with no issues. However for a HMMWV swap, I am confident that you will need to do some custom fabrication. No reason it will not work. You will just need to think outside the box a little.[/QUOTE]

I have a call into them as of a few minutes ago. I await the owner's reply.

I'm more worried about the TV cable than the shifter, I guess.

I'm not afraid of a bit of custom fab work on the shifter.

Do internal parts from any readily available shifters fit inside the standard three speed shift on the TH400 equipped HMMWV's? Has anyone documented a conversion process to turn a TH400 shifter into a 4L80 capable shifter?

Thanks,

T

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need the special GM 700R4 TV cable bracket that bolts to the rear of the drivers side 6.2/6.5 head and connects the 700R4 transmission to the IP throttle. I just installed mine a few weeks ago and posted photos on my rebuild thread. This bracket has been out of production for 25 years. They regularly pop up on EBay for $125-150.

sue

Haveing the option to have two wheel drive in a
transfer case along with selectable front hubs
is awesome. Besides who needs front brakes on
a 6,000 lbs vehicle. True out of the box thinking.

tomelroy

IMG_2215.jpgthe 6.2 and 6.5 HMMWV with a TH400 already has a bracket that can be used for the TV cable. Either square out the hole on the existing bracket or round out the housing on the TV cable.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I was holding back LOL, when I first read about putting some kind of hubs on the front. My thought would be to cut a hole in the foot wells and stop like the Flintstones.

YA BA DA BA DO,

CAMO

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TV Cable for 700R4 tranny.jpg
You will need the special GM 700R4 TV cable bracket that bolts to the rear of the drivers side 6.2/6.5 head and connects the 700R4 transmission to the IP throttle. I just installed mine a few weeks ago and posted photos on my rebuild thread. This bracket has been out of production for 25 years. They regularly pop up on EBay for $125-150.
Is this the unit? (Ignore the electric cylinder attached to the lower right hand side. Usually there is a hole there.)

Your images show an installed piece but your images don't cone down on that area so it is hard for me to identify.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was holding back LOL, when I first read about putting some kind of hubs on the front. My thought would be to cut a hole in the foot wells and stop like the Flintstones.

YA BA DA BA DO,

CAMO
Besides who needs front brakes on
a 6,000 lbs vehicle. True out of the box thinking.
No one ever spoke about cutting holes or building selectable front hubs.

Once I realized that there is no way to select front hubs, I dropped the idea of changing the transfer case.

Milcommoguy and sue, I think your comments are just slightly out of bounds, and are not quite on point.

Helpful comments are appreciated, all others less so.

[EDIT - sue and MilcommoGuy, I understand the point you were making. The way it was said was confusing to me initially and the point was lost because of the phrasing and wit. I APOLOGIZE]

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 749273

Is this the unit? (Ignore the electric cylinder attached to the lower right hand side. Usually there is a hole there.)

Your images show an installed piece but your images don't cone down on that area so it is hard for me to identify.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Yes that looks like it to me. Here are a few more photos of my TV bracket -

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No one ever spoke about cutting holes or building selectable front hubs.
Once I realized that there is no way to select front hubs, I dropped the idea of changing the transfer case.
Milcommoguy and sue, I think your comments are just slightly out of bounds, and are not quite on point.
Helpful comments are appreciated, all others less so.
I believe Millcommoguy was just making a joke not directed at you per-say. But his joking does bring up a valid point. While it was discussed that the 2wd t-case will still allow the front to rotate, no one mentioned what happens to the brakes. His "joke" is valid, if you were able to disconnect the gearboxes at the wheels, you'd effectively also disable the brakes for the front of the vehicle. I know this is splitting hairs at this point, but that's another thing to consider/valid technical discussion. Personally I knew the front end would still turn, but until his mention, I didn't even think about the fact it'd disable the front brakes. I was half way thinking perhaps a custom gearbox could be made to lift the input gear off the drive gear for "locking hubs", but never even thought about the braking side of things.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ultimately, the idea of 2WD was appealing, BUT the fact that there will never be hub lockers available means the idea was a misfire.

The idea of testing the vehicle without a front driveshaft would indeed allow a feeling for 2WD, but without the ability to disconnect the hubs from the rest of the rotating assembly would yield limited if no benefit as far as MPG.

Yes, it would also temporarily affect front braking while testing, BUT I already made it clear that I was not gonna proceed due to lack of a locking hub.

The 700R4 will proceed, but I will keep my TC as it is.

Ultimately, it's a HMMWV, not a Yukon or Denali. Ultimately I want to drive a HMMWV, not an SUV.

There will be no further looking into 2WD on my part. Time is better spent on upgrading pumpkins and tranny.

I've made contact with Chris, the owner at BowTie, and I have an estimate. I just bought the TV cable piece I need. I'm gonna lay down $$$, and then wait for delivery for 2 months. Gonna go with Level II tranny with upgrades to internals.

Bought 2.56 gears and gonna install those for another 6% increase in speed while also making sure axle stuff is new and healthy and won't pull apart.

Bottom line is 2WD is a fools errand.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that looks like it to me. Here are a few more photos of my TV bracket -
SHARECROPPER:

Your images are very helpful. Your thread is excellent. The fact that you're doing all this while dealing with multiple back surgeries and joint replacements is remarkable and inspirational.

Dock Rocker

This is a bit of a separate issue but one that needs to be addressed. In your quest for more speed make sure you check your hubs. I would without a doubt install the blue hummer setup on all the hubs if I wanted to go fast.

Also check the date code on your tires and make sure you have good rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a bit of a separate issue but one that needs to be addressed. In your quest for more speed make sure you check your hubs. I would without a doubt install the blue hummer setup on all the hubs if I wanted to go fast.

Just want 65-70, maybe occasional 75MPH.

Don't know what Blue Hummer setup is. Sounds a bit risqué.

Dock Rocker

Have you checked your hub locking rings? If not that would be a priority.

70-75 mph and having a tire leave the vehicle is a problem.

Blue Hummer locking ring. It’s a better design than the locking ring. It has more than two tiny tabs locking the wheel to the hub.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked your hub locking rings? If not that would be a priority.

70-75 mph and having a tire leave the vehicle is a problem.

Blue Hummer locking ring. It’s a better design than the locking ring. It has more than two tiny tabs locking the wheel to the hub.

Are you referring to http://www.bluehummer.net ?

If so I will look into this.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe he's talking about the locking fastener setups they have.

http://www.bluehummer.net/locking-fastener-kits/

Given the number of failures that have happened, they seem like a worthwhile investment. I've personally driven mine at speeds in excess of 65mph and it gets a little "sketchy" to say the least when it comes to handling. Having a drivetrain failure due to a fastener in these vehicles could prove fatal at high speeds. (Going back to the loss of brake previously mentioned. Or the fact that a wheel flange has been known to separate.)

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That or something just as simple holds the whole kitten kabodle together at each wheel. 75 MPH would scare the P00P out of me. That would be like a run away train. Take a look at what can happen at 45. So much for three point seat belts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrsQIKlcbsM

Wear your kevlar, CAMO
Nice video!

These were towed vehicles that were meant to crash. That being said, me things a DOM roll cage is in my future.

Thanks again,

T

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks