• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best mechanical transfer case with 2WD option for HMMWV

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked your hub locking rings? If not that would be a priority.

70-75 mph and having a tire leave the vehicle is a problem.

Blue Hummer locking ring. It’s a better design than the locking ring. It has more than two tiny tabs locking the wheel to the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like I will be ordering. For less than 300 clams I might prevent issues for myself AND OTHERS by preventing runaway wheel assembly. Thanks Dock Rocker and Patracy!

[EDIT - 377 clams including shipping. Just ordered!]

Last edited:

McSpeed

Something I thought of yesterday. “IF” you left the turbo 400 trans and found a 2wd drive option TC, then maybe you could put a gear vendors OD behind that and have an even better OD drop when you select two wheel drive (although front hubs will still be turning. )

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something I thought of yesterday. “IF” you left the turbo 400 trans and found a 2wd drive option TC, then maybe you could put a gear vendors OD behind that and have an even better OD drop when you select two wheel drive (although front hubs will still be turning. )
Sounds difficult and potentially dangerous. If you link into 4WD and forget you’re in HIGH you will break things.

Nah, I’m done with trying to figure out 2WD

Thanks though!

T

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TOBASH, I understand you are moving on from 2WD, but I did find the idea interesting and somebody may want to do it, e.g. for smokey burnouts or whatever. Something that could be part of the package is a driveshaft disconnect like used for towing a vehicle. Search: Remco drive shaft disconnect

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TOBASH, I understand you are moving on from 2WD, but I did find the idea interesting and somebody may want to do it, e.g. for smokey burnouts or whatever. Something that could be part of the package is a driveshaft disconnect like used for towing a vehicle. Search: Remco drive shaft disconnect

Understood and thanks.

I think a few of the guys made it clear that front braking is a huge issue. Brakes on HMMWV's/M998's DON'T work the way most vehicles work. You disconnect a driveshaft and you disconnect brakes. Dangerous, and that is part of why I abandoned.

The other reason I abandoned is no way to unlock and re-lock the hubs. Why? Never made, and because you would lose braking.

Front brakes typically provide 60% braking force on a vehicle. Burnouts while missing 60% stopping power might be an indication for a Darwin award. LOL.

Thanks for the interest CWC, but I'm out. It was a swing and a miss on my part.

Best,

T

JoeJrTheBarber

I believe he's talking about the locking fastener setups they have.

http://www.bluehummer.net/locking-fastener-kits/

Given the number of failures that have happened, they seem like a worthwhile investment. I've personally driven mine at speeds in excess of 65mph and it gets a little "sketchy" to say the least when it comes to handling. Having a drivetrain failure due to a fastener in these vehicles could prove fatal at high speeds. (Going back to the loss of brake previously mentioned. Or the fact that a wheel flange has been known to separate.)
Just ordered 4 for my M998 project.
$400 is much better than a wheel coming off at speed in my opinion...

Last edited:

McSpeed

Was out running in mine this weekend - 55 MPH is pretty much IT with a 6.2 and three speed trans. This is a must have mod going forward.

Yoursmiledoc

I did a swap in one of our HMMWV's. It is an 87 and now has a 1997 Vortec 7.4/4L80E transmission. I swapped in a NP261HD with manual shifter. I actually really like the setup. It is my favorite one to drive (next to the LBZ\Allison swapped one) and I feel like it is an upgrade everyone should do. Take this into consideration

6.2/6.5 - Turbo400 - NP261HD - Gear Vendors overdrive

Now that combo is one that is not possible with the full time 4wd transfer case. I am thinking of doing it to one of our machines just for fun. I originally thought of doing it on the 4L80E trans because it does feel like there is plenty of power to shift again.

Anyone that frowns on doing a few donuts in a HMMWV has most likely never done it. The truck is crazy stable and it's a real hoot.

Bob

Last edited:

McSpeed

I did a swap in one of our HMMWV's. It is an 87 and now has a 1997 Vortec 7.4/4L80E transmission. I swapped in a NP261HD with manual shifter. I actually really like the setup. It is my favorite one to drive (next to the LBZ\Allison swapped one) and I feel like it is an upgrade everyone should do. Take this into consideration

6.2/6.5 - Turbo400 - NP261HD - Gear Vendors overdrive

Now that combo is one that is not possible with the full time 4wd transfer case. I am thinking of doing it to one of our machines just for fun. I originally thought of doing it on the 4L80E trans because it does feel like there is plenty of power to shift again.

Anyone that frowns on doing a few donuts in a HMMWV has most likely never done it. The truck is crazy stable and it's a real hoot.

Bob
I like donuts!

I'm trying to figure right now how that 6.21 non-turbo is going to push that truck in 4th in lockup. Mine with the pedal nearly matted barely holds 55 with the three speed trans. I assume that diesel likes to lug, so perhaps locking and dropping the RPM will let it churn along. I just want to hit a stead 60 so I'm not a total bug on the windshield on any 70 mph interstate travel.

Yoursmiledoc

We have found that every one we receive runs completely different. Yours may not be the strongest 6.2 but they make twice as much torque as HP so you should be good. If not give us a call and we can find you a strong motor we have pulled from our machines. I know everyone loves the diesel but a stock 175k mile 7.4L vortec gas motor bolts right in and makes this thing feel like an early 90's Corvette. If you are driving it daily consider it as a very inexpensive swap. Feel free to come to Prescott and test drive mine along with the duramax, and later 6.5 with 4L80e stock.

McSpeed

We have found that every one we receive runs completely different. Yours may not be the strongest 6.2 but they make twice as much torque as HP so you should be good. If not give us a call and we can find you a strong motor we have pulled from our machines. I know everyone loves the diesel but a stock 175k mile 7.4L vortec gas motor bolts right in and makes this thing feel like an early 90's Corvette. If you are driving it daily consider it as a very inexpensive swap. Feel free to come to Prescott and test drive mine along with the duramax, and later 6.5 with 4L80e stock.
I did a vortec 8.1 swap a few years ago in a 1969 Corvette using a Painless LS style wire harness and computer (you have to make a small mod to the crank sensor wire) and mated it to a richmond six speed. This should bolt right up too since it is the same in the rear as the prior big block bolt pattern. That was a kick in the butt so I imagine a standard 7.4 would also be amazing. But...it needs that tale tell knock knock knock of the old diesel rumble.

I'd love to ride in one of yours...who knows, I could be that way sometime in the future.

90Jimmy

Here is the guy selling the complete 700r4 kit. There are several people that have used it that i know from Facebook and they are all happy.

https://dirtyboyzoffroad.com/shop?o...overdrive-transmission-swap-kit-free-shipping

They have that built for them to sell, I ordered mine through MME, same pics and everything on either web site. The only thing I had to supply was a shifter for the swap. I've got about 300 miles on my 998 post swap, so far so good.

McSpeed

They have that built for them to sell, I ordered mine through MME, same pics and everything on either web site. The only thing I had to supply was a shifter for the swap. I've got about 300 miles on my 998 post swap, so far so good.
which engine? How well does it go at speed? Does it up/down shift frequently once in 4th?

90Jimmy

which engine? How well does it go at speed? Does it up/down shift frequently once in 4th?
6.2, lock up happens about 45MPH and I haven't noticed any abnormal up and down shifts out of OD. My goal was the ability to run 45-55 "comfortably". The engine RPM and related noise has been reduced by maybe 30 percent. It does make it easy to find yourself running faster than 55 but you quickly feel that the HMMWV is not designed for safe operation much past 55.

McSpeed

6.2, lock up happens about 45MPH and I haven't noticed any abnormal up and down shifts out of OD. My goal was the ability to run 45-55 "comfortably". The engine RPM and related noise has been reduced by maybe 30 percent. It does make it easy to find yourself running faster than 55 but you quickly feel that the HMMWV is not designed for safe operation much past 55.
I like EVERYTHING you just typed right there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks