• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed covers, seat belts & Storage ideas for M998

Duff ace

New member here and my M998 is being delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week see attached.

The truck has half doors and can't be locked. Im installing a center seat so I can get my 3 young kids in so the back center space will be occupied

I'm looking for storage ideas that you've used i.e. Bed covers, bags, etc.

Any suggestions or ideas? IMG-20181113-WA0000 (1).jpgIMG-20181113-WA0005.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tomelroy

are you keeping it in a garage or outside? I have a truck with half doors and a soft top. It has no rear curtain. If i park it outside, the cats love to jump in and sleep on the seats (at least they keep the mice to a minimum) The cats have figured how to get under the rear curtain on other trucks I have with both hard and soft full doors. The best way to keep the critters out is to install a rear cargo cover and full doors if you are storing it outside. The rear cover really help keep things dry as well. I also made some covers to keep the UV damage to a minimum on the truck that are not stored indoors. I also plug the round holes in the battery compartment to keep mice out of the cab.

Duff ace

Does that come with everything I need? I have a 4 door open bed humvee now

JEB

Does that come with everything I need? I have a 4 door open bed humvee now
It certainly looks like it since it has the bows..if you check their website, they also sell just the canvas and other soft bits.
But I only know what I see on their website, so give them a call.

I don't even have my truck yet and I'm tempted to buy one.

Dock Rocker

If you like your kids don’t put them in a center rear seat. This is not the same truck as an H1. This is a serious safety issue. That leaves them with absolutely zero rollover protection. There are beer cans made better than the C pillar on these trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duff ace

Seat belts for center seat Humvee

Any suggestions on a seat belt for the center seat? I got a Jeep Wrangler center seat from Smittybilt and looking to add lap belts

Currently found these. https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/1800-Military.html
Trying to match the factory green belt color

Not sure if i should get 2 seat belts or 1 for the center seat.

Here is the seat is got. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NO4RW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_Ga.-BbJWJS1GM

Any suggestions or sharing best practices would be great.

Wire Fox

Try out part 12340809 / NSN 2540012030183. That's the original lap belt part for the HMMWV. Might be worth finding some kind of 5-point system that attaches to your seat assembly for better safety. I don't personally know much about setting up something like that, but be sure your seat and especially all your seatbelt hardware is mounted very solidly to structural steel-fender washers on sheet aluminum will tear through the first time it's tested...

Good luck on the seat setup!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, you posted about this about a center seat for you kids, and were advised that without rollbars, it is a significant hazard to put a kid there.

Dock Rocker warned you about this in another thread..."If you like your kids don’t put them in a center rear seat. This is not the same truck as an H1. This is a serious safety issue. That leaves them with absolutely zero rollover protection. There are beer cans made better than the C pillar on these trucks."

Mods here like to keep threads all in one piece, without multiple threads from the same poster regarding the same or similar issues. With all due respect, almost seems like this is a continuation or a double post, initially covered in the following thread:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?183400-Any-Tampa-St-Pete-members-here

Welcome, and good luck with your new rig! Please consider DOM/drawn-over-mandrel roll bars OR another seating option.

Best,

T

Duff ace

This was about seat belts for the seat, which is a different topic than what was discussed before.

My kids wont be in this vehicle until it's 100% safe and it's meant for a promotional vehicle majority of the time. Not something I will drive much.

If you have suggestiona or links to rollover bars I would appreciate it.

Dock Rocker

You will not find much info on a C pillar toll bar because to do it right it will cost almost as much as the truck itself.

It will have to be tied to the B pillar which is Aluminum so that will have to be re-fabbed out of Steel so you can tie in DOM tubing. Then you will have to build a C pillar with floor plates and frame tie in’s that also have floor plates in the bed that also tie into the frame.

There are very few people that can / will do this correctly. There are lots of people who will do it poorly. You will most likely end up with someone who does race chassis fabrication. Those guys are not cheap. I would think somewhere in the 7-10 k range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine designs and builds rally cars. He is the only guy I trust, but he is up here in NY.

I seem to recall there might be a few races in Florida, perhaps even a few famous ones. That means you have qualified guys there IF YOU LOOK CAREFULLY.

I would recommend finding someone who manufactures rally cars OR caged 4WD offroad racing and crawling vehicles.

Assume you will roll over at 60MPH, and design accordingly.

Dock Rocker is exactly on point as far as building with bars that attach through the floor to the frame. You essentially have a roll bar that meets the floor at a welded plate, and a plate under the floor that is welded to a bar that bolts through the floor to the outer cage, and then uses another welded plate under the floor to bolt to the frame. This unites the entire vehicle structure.

If you have welding skills, use a cad/cam program to design a system and post here for some of the more experienced guys to review.

If you don't have welding skills, Dock Rocker is on target re.: $$$$$.

MHO, YMMV.

Best of luck,

T

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I'll take "HMMWV" for two hundred dollars" Whats are the existing body mounts for?

Jeopardy, CAMO

Seems like all the welding and sandwiched plates will eliminate any body giggles, flex and squeaks.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we were fielded M1165s in Korea, the BDE CSM apparently got pissed because he lost his storage space on the new trucks. I was told to find a solution and 'figure it out'. I ordered 2x Generator tool boxes per truck, and had them installed on the bed side tops. CSM got his lockable storage. They actually worked well, and since I ordered all at once, they all matched.

Duff ace

Try out part 12340809 / NSN 2540012030183. That's the original lap belt part for the HMMWV. Might be worth finding some kind of 5-point system that attaches to your seat assembly for better safety. I don't personally know much about setting up something like that, but be sure your seat and especially all your seatbelt hardware is mounted very solidly to structural steel-fender washers on sheet aluminum will tear through the first time it's tested...

Good luck on the seat setup!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
This is very valuable info. Thank you.

Anyone know the part number for the oem Green 3 point seat belts for the 4 buckets? The ones I have I believe are from 1990 and have a lot of slack in them

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Site sponsor sell them, as well as FleaBray.

Try asking Retired War Horses / RTH.

Search his profile and his contact info is there. He has lots of stuff and is very forthright.

JEB

I'm all for safety, especially if you're hauling kids...or anyone else.

But before you price yourself out of the market with a NASCAR-worthy safety cage, couldn't you build a a 4-point structure (or even 6 if you can fit bars near the A-pillars?) like you see on old CJ-5/7s and soft top Jeeps to this day?

A rollbar that fits INSIDE the standard soft top.

Not perfect, but if it's good enough to meet current government safety standards, it should be good enough for normal (not dangerous off road or Baja-race type) use with a HMMWV. Especially if you avoid doing aything stupid (I drove a short wheelbase CJ-5...a vehicle CBS's 60 Minutes called a death trap...for seven years as a daily driver and lived to tell the tale).

Find out the size and material used by Jeep, and have a expert welder fabricate it. You could even put mounts on it for back seat harnesses.

Something to consider before forgetting the whole HMMWV-thing in the name of an abundance of caution.

If course, the key phrase is not doing anything stupid, and in case any attorneys are reading this:
Do not attempt...
Professional driver on a closed course...
Caution, contents are hot. :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks