• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member FL

FLHunterUSMC

New Member, 1st post. Been reading reading, and reading more. I'm looking to purchase a HMMWV sometime next year, I'm just absorbing as much information as possible at this time, I read every post on the What have you done to your HMMWV lately over the last few days. About to dig into the TM's over the next few weeks. Thank you to all the Members with extremely informative posts, I feel like I'm saving a lot of time, money, and frustration with each thread I read.

I was active USMC 2002-2007, did a tour in Ramadi in 2005, was out at Camp Blue Diamond and sometimes Camp Ramadi with 3rd Radio Bn. I got a lot of wheel time in up-armored HMMWVs out on patrols, found a few pics below. I have more interesting photos rolling with armor and post action somewhere but can't locate them at the moment.

306460_2307209357062_714430221_n.jpg320527_2152232442736_1905869274_n.jpg10383005_10203962444638837_3639911569401423886_n.jpg10708586_10203962439118699_1102883082990929608_o.jpg

I'm originally from West Central Florida, but I'm currently living in Barbados on a stint with the US State Department, I'll be going to back to Florida June of 2019. I'm an Avid fisherman and hunter, I have been big into Boating and have bought and sold a dozen fishing boats from 16-32' so I'm well accustomed to dumping money into a very expensive hobby and all the frustrations and busted knuckles that go with it.

As a hunter, I also enjoy off-roading, I have had a bunch of different 4x4 trucks, currently, I have a 2017 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D Turbo Diesel. I have seriously considered trying to bring this truck back to Fl but it has two major problems. 1. it's right-hand drive, 2. it doesn't nor can it get a EPA plate. I was hoping to have a very capable unique 4x4, but gave up on that due to the red tape.

My Hilux riding the Barbados country side, going to miss her and the diplomatic plates :(

22137086_10212106451153910_8394773172873374766_o.jpg33083018_10213855093668880_6929182429261332480_n.jpg

I now have my heart set on a Slant Back HMMWV 6.5 NA with 4 speed based on my research so far. I can't think of a better unique hunting truck then this, the 4 speed is a must have as it's about 100 miles each way to where I hunt in Central Fl (Avon Park AFB and bombing range) on a 65mph 2 lane road.

As a veteran online Forum member of many other boating/fishing/hunting forums, I'll do my best to use the search function, read existing posts, and become informed before asking annoying repeated questions! Can't wait to get one in hand, I have a 100 ideas on how I want it built out already!

NormB

Welcome Jarhead, Gyrene, US MF Marine! I had many a lost weekend with my Marine friends (I was Army) at several duty stations many decades ago. Flaming shots of 151 - whoof!

You've come to the right place.

Great group here, helpful as the day is long.

You, like a LOT of us, seem to recall a lot of the good things, pleasant memories of time served, the HMMWV being one of them (for me and others).

Sorry about the Hilux. I brought a Norton 850 commando back from Germany in '83, had a BEAR of a time clearing customs as it was originally from Canada, but it made it in. Considering the number of diesel trucks crossing our southern borders bereft of US EPA regulatory control, one diesel Hilux wouldn't make a drop in the ocean of smog by comparison. Regulators. Can't live with 'em, can't tar and feather 'em.

Thanks for your service.

Norm

twisted60

Welcome from a fellow Floridian, east coast, feel free to drop a note if you need anything, I might be able to help point you in the right direction.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Perry Florida. Florida is currently not issuing normal tags for Humvees due to their "off road use only" designation.

FLHunterUSMC

Thanks Russ,

when I was growing up we had a hunting lease up in Perry, is that Dairy Queen still there?

On the Tags, was that a recent change? I saw a lot of videos and posts from people in Florida with Tags on their HMMWVs.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Russ,

when I was growing up we had a hunting lease up in Perry, is that Dairy Queen still there?

On the Tags, was that a recent change? I saw a lot of videos and posts from people in Florida with Tags on their HMMWVs.
It's closed now. What club were y'all in?

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fairly recent, September of last year I believe. I found out when getting a tag for my 5 ton. There may be a way around it, not sure.

Crapgame

Welcome aboard, Marine, from Santa Rosa County. You can try your luck with the newer lots of Former-USMC (there are no Ex-Marines, right?) M1045A2s then register out of state via a title service and keep hidden until you can get your FL Homestead going. Or look for an A0 to register as 30yr old/Antique plates. I will probably have two GMVs going at once, a 1986 conversion and original 1995 M1025A2 original 5SFG GMV. I wanted the GMV so I could have a Dillon M134D in the Turret as well as use it to pick up plywood at Lowe's or Home Depot. Yeah, its a shame the US Gov't won't allow the small diesel Toyota Hi Luxes to be be imported, that engine would make a nice work truck or an MNU Security Truck. My first ride was a yellow 1972 Toyota Hi Lux gasser with a white cap, used to skip school to drive down to the Jersey shore in May, June and Sept.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks