• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M2211/G749 Parts availability

Ajax MD

Just a quick and easy question-

I see the Sticky post for the G749 Parts List, which is great but that doesn't mean that these parts are readily available. What is parts availability like for these vehicles?

The M211 often came with the automatic transmission and that freaks me out a little. Can parts be had? Are there shops that can/will still rebuild them?
What about "consumables" such as filters, gaskets, brakes pads etc?
Another concern I have, is steering components. Are they available?

What are the popular vendors for parts (location unimportant if they ship within the US)?

There's a local truck I'm considering, but I'd want to know that parts can be had before I make the leap.

Mattech

There are parts available, just depends on what parts you want/need....some are available at your local truck/trailer parts supplier, some are available through Memphis Equipment and other commercial retailers and then there are parts available from people like me who do have extra NOS and used parts...

rustystud

There are parts available, just depends on what parts you want/need....some are available at your local truck/trailer parts supplier, some are available through Memphis Equipment and other commercial retailers and then there are parts available from people like me who do have extra NOS and used parts...
Not all the transmission parts are available now. The whole back end (with the two speed unit) is not available. The other main parts of the old style "Dual Range Hydro-Matic" can still be found if you have enough money. There are several bushings no longer available and the thrust washers can be tricky to find also. I have six transmissions I bought for parts just so I can rebuild one good unit. I also have almost all of the "soft" parts. Parts that you always replace on a rebuild, but it has taken me several years to collect them.
There are some shops around that can still work on them, but there mechanics are just like me "old" !!!
I had rebuilt the old style Hydra-Matics back in the late 1970's. Then there still was parts available and about half the transmission shops could still rebuild them. Now the parts have dried up and the mechanics have retired and most have passed on. I do know of some "antique" repair shops that say they still can rebuild the old Hydra-Matics . You just have to do your research to find them. The next problem is the specialty tools needed to rebuild this transmission. I still have mine, but if you try and search online you will have a hard time finding them. About all the ones I have seen are for adjusting the bands and the center support seal rings. If you know what your doing you can get away from using the tools, but it takes one who has had a lot of experience rebuilding this unit to get it right. In all honesty I wouldn't try it. The risk of damaging parts that are almost extinct is to great in my opinion.
I will be rebuilding this last one just to do it. A last hurrah !

rustystud

You have NOS parts ?!!!!
I'll send you a PM.

Ajax MD

LOL...ahhhh. I've really been on the fence about this truck and posts like this reinforce my concerns. I'll keep this M211 opportunity in my back pocket and keep shopping for awhile. It'll probably still be available if I want it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had a concern about any parts. They are just hard to look up at the chain parts stores. There seem to be plenty of old vehicles still around. Half of the fun is hunting for old junk! You find a few trucks, ask about them, then as time goes by someone calls you back and says "I just want it gone"!

Last edited:

rustystud

I have never had a concern about any parts. They are just hard to look up at the chain parts stores. There seem to be plenty of old vehicles still around. Half of the fun is hunting for old junk! You find a few trucks, ask about them, then as time goes by someone calls you back and says "I just want it gone"!
All you guys back East have a much easier time finding good deals on old military trucks and equipment then we do out here on the west coast. Especially in the Pacific Northwest. Everyone thinks they have "gold" in them parts and price them accordingly !

Mattech

All you guys back East have a much easier time finding good deals on old military trucks and equipment then we do out here on the west coast. Especially in the Pacific Northwest. Everyone thinks they have "gold" in them parts and price them accordingly !
Unfortunately, that goes for anything even classic cars and trucks...these shows like American and Canadian Picker have destroyed our chance of getting better deals.. cause like you say that think they have 'gold' even though they have let everything sit in a field to rot, but also say that they will restore it some day

rustystud

Unfortunately, that goes for anything even classic cars and trucks...these shows like American and Canadian Picker have destroyed our chance of getting better deals.. cause like you say that think they have 'gold' even though they have let everything sit in a field to rot, but also say that they will restore it some day
Yes, that's exactly right ! You come along and offer a decent price and they get offended and say your trying to rip them off ! They know this because they saw it on a show that this old military stuff is worth a lot of money. That has happened to me several times now. I usually say, "well here's my number and when your ready to sell let me know".

1944mb

My opinion is to go for it! I own a m35 as well, they are great too, don't get me wrong, but I really enjoy these jimmys. If you have a little space, the old trucks are still around. Some people want a fortune for them, and some are fair. I'm working off memory here, but I bought two parts trucks for the price of $200-500 ea, in my county of all places. Mostly people were happy to get them out of the pasture and to someone who can use them. They require work, but how often have you seen one in a parade? Heck, even MV guys how many of them say"a 211 or 135 what is that?" USMC has compiled a nice list on replacement pns#. Also there is enough well meaning people on this site that would help if you get in a bind with most parts. Perhaps this opportunity is gone, but I have't been on the site in a while and thought I respond. Also if you buy a vehicle, who say has half the transmission life left in it, are you really gonna put enough miles on it to wear the transmission out? Maybe, Maybe not. As the m35 is phased out of the military it is only a matter of time before the govt parts supply starts to dry up as well. It will be an ongoing problem. Jeeps are so popular, manufacturers have started to re-manufacture everything, but us truck guys will always be sourcing parts, at least is my option.

DUUANE

If you have a chance to get an M135/211 or variant at a reasonable price in reasonable condition i agree go for it. If transmission parts go the way of the uniorn..repower..it isnt such a bad deal.
As the parts dry up people crush ttucks out of ignorance and before you know it there are a hundred or so left on earth..then if you try and get one..you buy crap usually at an extremely unreasonable price..and repower it.
The only real challenge i can see in changing the driveline is the front axle upper torque rod. Its position will create clearance issues with certain swaps..but thats what mini starters are for.
Get a nice one now and enjoy it. Enjoy it to pieces and back. We are all here to help out and cheer you on !!
Before you know it itll be worth lots because youll have one of the few that wasnt neglected in a field or 6 decades.

rustystud

If you have a chance to get an M135/211 or variant at a reasonable price in reasonable condition i agree go for it. If transmission parts go the way of the uniorn..repower..it isnt such a bad deal.
As the parts dry up people crush ttucks out of ignorance and before you know it there are a hundred or so left on earth..then if you try and get one..you buy crap usually at an extremely unreasonable price..and repower it.
The only real challenge i can see in changing the driveline is the front axle upper torque rod. Its position will create clearance issues with certain swaps..but thats what mini starters are for.
Get a nice one now and enjoy it. Enjoy it to pieces and back. We are all here to help out and cheer you on !!
Before you know it itll be worth lots because youll have one of the few that wasnt neglected in a field or 6 decades.
That's true "Duuane" . All this talk about "Rare" trucks just reminds me of my late lamented 1945 "USMC" 6X6 M5-6 truck. It was so rare that collectors didn't even want it ! I had one which just went to the scrapper last summer. I could not find parts for it at all. No one had anything. It just sat and rotted away ! :cry:
I'm with you on the "repower" thing. As long as the truck has the original body, it will retain it's Military significance I'm sure. The great news is the engines will be around for decades more, since they where used in cars and light trucks also.
It's that "Hydra-Matic" transmission that is becoming such a pain in the butt ! Maybe the after-market will start to "gear-up" and make some of those extremely rare parts again. We can only hope.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks