• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans issue (m1010)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the M1010 that I sold my mom has developed a horrendous whine, even at idle... and she says it 'doesn't feel right' when coasting, and it actually died as she was driving it... Like she was giving it gas and it was going nowhere, but it was in drive and the engine didn't race like it was slipping or going into neutral. Truck runs fine, new IP has about 4k miles on it... New fuel filter about 500 miles/ 6 months ago.

Fluid level is good.

Fluid smells burned, is about 3 yrs old and 8k miles old. and filter was replaced with fluid.

Only 27k miles.

Obviously burned smelling fluid is bad, and is an indication of an issue..

She also notes that it feels fine going uphill...

I'm thinking trans pump... With the noise being a pretty big hint.

Thoughts?

cucvrus

I tend to agree with the pump doing the whining. The transmission filter is probably clogged with debris from clutch surfaces breaking and burning away. At over 30 years old the transmission even if new in the box has aged and things like clutches and seals become brittle and stiff. I had several CUCV's that had no burnt smell to the ATF and would take a considerable amout of time to go into gear when cold. When the transmissions were rebuilt the rebuilder told me that several of the seals and gaskets were leaking and not holding the pressure they should be. I would recommend getting it rebuilt now if leiu of later. Less damage to the internal working parts of the transmission. Have a Great Day and enjoy the Holidays. A rebuilt torque converter is also a wise decision while the transmission is out. It is also packed full of burnt fluid and debris.

nyoffroad

When replaceing a bad tranny don't forget to flush out the cooler lines! Why pay all that money to end up just putting conaminents right back into the system? There's a couple different arasol cans of solvent that is easily hooked up the tranny lines and blown thru, just make sure you use a catch can or you'll have a mess.

Matt5

Banned
Would just replace filter/fluid and send it. (add a drain plug and maybe do another change after 100 miles)

Had an issue just like this last year on a plow truck... filter change and fluid. Shes plowing again this year... She had no problem with a plow on the front, 2 mafia blocks on the back (so 3000-3600lb) and then pulling *another* cucv with plow on, and 1 mafia block in the back, up hill, in high range. This is also my DD, had no problem on 200+ mile trips either...

33% of rebuilt transmissions in the USA are defective. I'd run it till its shot assuming a filter fixes the issue... could be fresh fluid that dislodged junk... check how much crap is in the pan ALSO make sure it is shifting right I would check the pod for a STEADY 25hg or more of vac at idle. Pod could be going bad producing a pulsing low vac condition.

Or do like everyone else do 0 diag and just toss parts at the problem...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.. O'reilly lied and said the Wix filter had the pickup tube o-ring. It didn't.

They say none of them do, and seemed upset with ME that they gave me the wrong info.

TM shoots out a GMPart# of 6771005, but no one seems to be able to cross reference that to anything usable...

Grrrr

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks