• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Dump Bed Hoist Opinions

Steelreaper80

Hey, just wanted to get opinions on possibly getting a dump bed hoist installed on my M925A2s. I have two trucks, they are used primarily to pull my tractor around for commercial mowing. Part of the contract requirement is removing trash and debris from the properties. I do have a dump trailer pulled by a pickup for this but I would like to reduce the number of trucks that have I to send out. If I can have my 5 tons double as a dump truck it would save a LOT of fuel. I do occasionally put the larger debris in the beds of the trucks if the dump trailer is either not there or they are full but then I have to manually unload the beds. Does anyone have these dump hoists installed? CC Equipment has them for sale for $1625 and another $1850 for installation.

http://www.ccsurplus.com/store.htm

I live about 45 mins north of their location so getting there isn't an issue.

I am just typically unloading dumped trash that people are too cheap to haul themselves to the dump. Usually, nothing is overly heavy but I would want the option of unloading some gravel (not full tri-axle loads btw...lol) or wood chips. I understand that they will not lift as much as a normal dump truck but I would rather upgrade my existing trucks and have them do double duty rather than buy an actual dump truck. Thanks guys.

74M35A2

Move to 5 ton mod dept.

Then, yes, many have done via several different methods. There is a balance to be struck between max load lift, max tilt angle, and configuration as installed. The self-contained scissor mechanism (CC) is a very reasonably priced option, and position of it is a negotiation between max capability and max dump angle.

Most people have each done something different, so you would need to chose what best fits your needs. The scissor mechanisms are available in numerous different capacities, I would probably go up one size greater than what is thought to be needed, just as a CYA thing.

Here is one example:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171373-M925-dump-conversion

A dump hoist will absolutely add value to your truck.

Lukes_deuce

I have the same manufacture of hoist, just one step bigger than C&C surplus sells, a 10 ton hoist, ph520. Very minimal adjustments to the bed to get it to fit. I load up 7 yards of crushed concrete at about 16k to 17k depending on the load. That is the max I can dump with my set up. The ph516, which C&C uses, your looking at around 13k, 14k at most. Comes in very handy and makes the truck much more useful, while keeping the stock appearance. I was able to contact the manufacture and order directly through them. I also ordered a 24 volt electric over hydraulic power pack, as I have a 923. I would suggest to use your hydraulic system to run the hoist. It will be quicker and stronger than an electric unit.

74M35A2

Good capacity info.

One negative about using the M925xx stock hydraulic system is that it really only works properly with the transmission in neutral, same as the winch. A lot of dump truck videos show the truck pulling forward to either spread the load out, or to fully empty the bed if the pile gets too high, or to do a brake slam in reverse to clear the dump bed floor. You may not be able to actuate the bed up higher and drive forward simultaneously. Second potential negative is the stock M925xx hydraulic system has a built in pressure relief valve within the winch directional control valve set at about 1900psi to limit the hydraulic winch load to 20,000lbs (this is instead of the old mechanical shear pins). You could work around this, but it will take more parts, $, and tearing into your hydraulic system. If the dump hoist you purchase is setup to run on 3000psi, 3600psi, whatever, but you only feed it 1900psi, it will have a greatly lowered lifting capacity.

The electric pumps are somewhat slow, but their independence can be convenient. A couple of people deliberately get them with the 12v pump and then feed them 24v. They have reported that their pump motors are still fine, yet run much faster. Doing so is a heat issue, motor life depends upon duty cycle, and motor would be creating double the heat it was designed for.

Regardless, post up your install and what you go with.

162tcat

Can you go bigger than the PH520 and it still fit?
I don't think you would need or want to. The bed couldn't take much more abuse. If you want to go bigger than that, you'd be building a new custom bed anyways so you could fit whatever you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukes_deuce

I don't think you would need or want to. The bed couldn't take much more abuse. If you want to go bigger than that, you'd be building a new custom bed anyways so you could fit whatever you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have to agree. My bed flexes a little bit with 17k but not enough to worry about. I would box the main C channels and reinforce the smaller lateral pieces that support the bed. I wouldnt consider the troop bed a heavy duty service dump bed. If you want to haul to the trucks capacity, I would start with a tractor and then put a 12ft steel dump bed on it.

Getting back to your question, yes, bigger lifts will fit. You will be more limited with their location due to their size and will have to modify the bed more to allow it to fit without hitting axles and drive line. At that point, I would go back to a commercial dump body with a telescoping lift.

Lukes_deuce

20181104_155956.jpg

20180922_133141.jpg

20180922_133827.jpg
Same load as above pic, just to show a differect angle.

This is 7 to 8 yards of crushed concrete. From my many loads, I would assume this is in the 38k to 39k gross weight of the truck. She handles it well, just a little slow on the hills. My truck weighs 22k empty.

Steelreaper80

Bumping this thread

I am bidding on clearing 800 feet of overgrown access road to a closed landfill that I have the mowing contract on. I then have to add new stone to the cleared road. 800 feet by 12 feet by 4 inches of stone deep. Comes out to about 200 tons of material needed. My question is should I buy the PH520 hoist and have it installed and haul the stone myself or have it delivered? Hauling it myself will save about $1400 not including fuel cost.

On a separate bid, I am bidding on building 4300 feet of new access road around the perimeter of the landfill. Rip-rap or course river rock will be needed as the base layer and about 1000-1500 tons of # 2 stone as the top layer.

Round trip from the landfill to the material plant location and back is 18 miles.

I also have a dump trailer that will be pulled by a Chevy Duramax that will be rolling as well so as one is being loaded, the other is unloading and the material is being spread. The M925A2 will be doing the heavier hauling of course but materials will constantly be moving. The reasons I ask is that there is a substantial savings on materials minus fuel cost but the main reason is there is no guarantee on the rate of delivery trucks to the site. They may have a lot of trucks that particular day or they may not have many if any at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done a reversible 5-ton M51A2 dump-truck-tractor conversion. Also looking at the earlier mentioned link on the conversion why not make a dual frame like the the real dump trucks have (at least the M51 and the 815, probably the M925 as well)?

Just copy the extra frame or get it from a scrap bed. Mine is connected to the original frame with 6 bolts on each side, without major changes to the original frame.

Pro: it will create extra space for your hoist, spare your original truck frame, increases your dump load, and you can probably use the hydraulic hoists from the standard M39, M800 and M900 series.

Contra: nothing really compared to trying to get a cargo bed to function as dump and frotting a hoist on the original frame. It raises your height of the bed about 5 inches, but that should not be a problem in the USA.

74M35A2

I would add the dump hoist to your truck. Even if you paid to have it installed, it would increase the value of the truck by at least that amount, usually more. Dump trucks are pricy to begin with, and 4x4 or 6x6 dump trucks are rare and very capable ($).

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have it hauled in unless you have a lot of extra time.

If you do, I would go with more hoist than the 5x20 or I think you will be disappointed. I want more and mine has dual 5x20 cylinders, and will only dump 11 to 13 ton at 2500psi, depending on how the load is positioned. The truck feels real good and is legal up to around 12 ton. Also plan on building a real tailgate so you can spread, plus a heavier floor, as #2 will warp it nicely, and I bet rip rap will destroy it.

Glenngineer

I have my M931a1 at Nahanni Industries, for a full dump box install .Front mount trunnion hoist ,lift gate ,air tarp waiting for a custom ordered Chelsea parker 221R pto with air shift and direct mount pump. Will post pics and part numbers as it gets built .

74M35A2

Sounds like an entire bed change if going front trunnion hoist? Special request for rear bed to frame hinge pics, and if they put anything atop of your truck frame, like spacer wood or another box frame. Speak up how the PTO clears the frame rail and exhaust pipe too. Please and thanks.

Glenngineer

nahanni.jpgThis is the style of box ,but it will only be 12 feet long.6x6 6.jpg I am impatiently waiting for the PTO and will send pics as soon as we try to install ,the pto body is slimmer than the standard 221 and appears to be the same body as an original pto and the air shift and direct mount show as options ,All the info is in online brochures ,was ordered two months ago some parts had to be made. 10 inch frame under the box,1/4 inch hardox floor, hoist mount made to go over transfer case I may go for a 1/2 inch thick rubber strip that gets glued to the frame to keep the box quiet on bumpy roads, not cheap waiting for the price. The back of the frame is getting redone with heavy duty hinges and an apron for a new pintle hitch air hookup and electrical all done this will cost twice what the truck did ,but will make one **** of a truck. Box will be painted to match the truck.!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks