• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might have found it

Ajax MD

I viewed a 5 ton that I like, yesterday. Needs a little work, but seems like a solid foundation to begin on.
Next step is have the seller take me for a short test drive to check out a few things before I hand over the cash.

dmetalmiki

Well done you, Just check it out thoroughly before parting with the cash, get it home and Take Pictures to post on here. Good Luck.

Ajax MD

Truck has clear, normal state title.

I'm withholding pictures for a moment, but I'll comment on the truck.

1970 M813
- Hardtop
- Personnel/cab heater
- Mounted spare tire
- Body straight
- Little rust on bed, cab and frame. No rust holes in cab.
- No winch
- Suspension in good condition
- Standard dually configuration. Tires old but all holding air, a bit dry but no cracks, sufficient tread
- 54,000 miles, 1600 hours (but we all know that the gauges may not reflect actual miles/hours)

The owner has had the truck since at least 2011, where it has largely just sat. The owner started the truck at infrequent, but regular intervals. After sitting for months, the truck started easily in mid 30's temps after boosting the batteries. The cold start method with the primer and pre-heat plug worked correctly.

All gauges worked and indicated normal readings- oil, air, temp, generator.
Parking brake held against a slight, downhill grade.
Transmission shifted through all gates with no bad noises
Clutch had sufficient pressure, engaged/disengaged
Air system built pressure, brakes seemed firm but air system does leak down over the course of the day
Headlights hi/low beam work
Turn signals/4-way work (rear, driver's bulb appears burned out)
Steering has about 4 inches of play when sitting

We did not drive the truck, so did not observe steering, alignment and tracking.
Transfer case not tested
Transmission not operationally tested
Brakes not tested with vehicle in motion

Engine compartment-

Muffler serviceable, exhaust pieces all present
Engine overall clean, with minor stains from spillage while adding fluids and general dirt
Leaky fuel return line, but owner has already repaired this
All belts, hoses and boots dry, cracked and in need of replacement

Under vehicle-
No evidence of oily patches in the soil which would indicate significant leaks of oil, brake fluid or differential oil
Insides of wheels have black stains which probably indicate torn boots and some diffy fluid leakage

Cab-
All instruments and gauges in working order, no cracked lenses
Seats blown
Steering wheel badly cracked
Windshields clear and not cracked
Wiper motors present, wiper arms missing, wipers not tested
Tool box in present, in good condition
Battery box in good condition

Test Drive and 2nd look checklist is probably today!

Ajax MD

The New Whip

Ok, I did it. I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but with help from folks here, I've chosen my ride.
The seller was great. He was patient and went through my checklist with no problems. Everything big and important on the truck is in good working order.

It needs all the soft bits replaced- Belts, hoses, fluids changed out, and filters. Horn, one tail light and wipers need fixed. All normal stuff. Clean title!
I'm shuffling the money around and I'll hand him cash early next week.

Attachments

sandcobra164

I love the M813's and if I had one my buddy with a Deuce would have one less punch. He thinks I went "Highbrow" for selling my Deuce and getting an M923. You have a solid foundation with that truck, upgrades can wait and will be done in due time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks