• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a box, fit a dual axle trailer and can the LMTV tow it properly?

coachgeo

Will a box, fit a dual axle trailer and can the LMTV tow it properly?
What is a "box"? sure your hopeful wife's engagement ring box will fit..... but she will probably say "no" if you put it there.

That trailer is known to be a HUGE HUGE drag. Enough folk have said its hard to even pull it up hills at normal highway speeds for an LMTV...... (which is slow already). The thing is massively heavy. Found one for myself (minus bed) at a good price and will butcher it just to cut the weight way down..... Might not work still.... big gamble.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By "box," do you mean an S280 shelter?

Regarding your question about moving heavy military hardware, these trucks were designed to be run in convoys at low speeds on highways or off-road at even lower speeds. Neither of these require the ability to pull hills and maintain top speed. If you want more power, find yourself an A1 with either the 3126 or C7 engine. I prefer the latter, but there are guys who prefer the former due to its simplicity. Even with these engines, though, military trucks, generally, are underpowered (with some exceptions). Good luck!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Would be easier and lighter to mount a S280 on a M796 Bolster trailer. They are much lighter. and would ride pretty level. or a 1061 trailer. the M1082s are a little heavy and frankly just tall.

You can also look for an LMT shelter trailer. It is basically an overgrown 1061.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer is known to be a HUGE HUGE drag. Enough folk have said its hard to even pull it up hills at normal highway speeds for an LMTV...... (which is slow already). The thing is massively heavy. Found one for myself (minus bed) at a good price and will butcher it just to cut the weight way down..... Might not work still.... big gamble.
I have a M1082 trailer that I tow behind my M1078, and my truck does not even notice it's there. It does not slow me down at all, even on hills (anymore than the 5MPH the truck slows down anyway), and I still cruise along at 58 MPH maxed out. It's pretty much like driving without it when it's empty.

coachgeo

I have a M1082 trailer that I tow behind my M1078, and my truck does not even notice it's there. It does not slow me down at all, even on hills (anymore than the 5MPH the truck slows down anyway), and I still cruise along at 58 MPH maxed out. It's pretty much like driving without it when it's empty.
Good to hear that..... have heard the opposite several times. Which axles ratio are you running... the upgraded or standard?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks