• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needing so tech help on potential command car acquisition and restoration

horsa

Hey Guys, I'm new to the Dodge world but not to WWII vehicles and their restorations in general. Got a recent lead on an affordable non-running and incomplete WC56 or WC58 which had the tailgate rear section cut out for hauling hay on a ranch many years ago. Bones are good with some original markings and stars bleeding through and the remaining metal including floor and hood assembly is still pretty good. Has a data tag referencing the running of the engine to charge related to voltage drop when operating a radio but that is the only visible (to me) indication it could be a WC58 unless they used that tag on all models just in case they were radio equipped.

Seller indicated to me that he thought there was a more complete body at a place about 100 miles away but it had been years since they saw it from the road. Long story short, I located it and its available with a good body less the floor and the front end is removed completely so no axle, steering, engine, etc. They do have the body parts put away separate and when I saw the grill and cowling I knew it was a 1/2-ton truck so guessing a WC15 or WC23. The firewall has a junction block remaining and my understanding is that would indicate a later model in the early design.

So questions....

Which model is more desirable/valuable to end up with, early war or later war? Speculation is the later war pattern due to fewer being produced and being a beefier truck.

Would the rear of the 1/2-ton be size compatible as a donor for the more complete 3/4-ton truck?

What is the market for selling or trading spares? The 1/2-ton is less complete but more expensive so if compatible for the rear section with tailgate, the remains would be likely broken up to help recoup costs.

The reverse could likewise be considered if the 1/2-ton was more desirable as I'd use radiator, drive components and the engine I'd have to rebuild from the 3/4-ton if it is compatible.

If there isn't enough to hot swap, I'd probably stay simply with the 3/4-ton project.

Also I'm aware of some of the reproduction panels like the tailgate but this project has the entire rear curve cut way. Rear frame is good and solid though where the tailgate hinge would bolt on.

Thanks in advance, sorry about casting such a wide net in a first posting.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. I would say the 3/4 ton is twice as desirable and valuable as the 1/2 ton. The bodies look similar, but I cannot say if they are the same towards the rear.

diesel dave

The tailgates May be the same. But I doubt anything else will interchange. The g503 site for the dodge power wagon is more active than here and you’ll get better help there. Or better yet,google Midwest military and give John a call. Or vintage power wagons. If any parts are available,they would know.

horsa

Hadn't thought about the alternate vehicle forums on G503 but will post there as well. I've been a member there since before the server change 10+ years ago.

Also was afraid the bodies might be different after looking at the rear fender areas closer and the fact the lighter truck has the pressed inward locator for the spare.

I know John has the tailgates available with hinge and hardware. I'd need the rear body it mates to as well. So the toss up is scratch building around a reproduction tailgate, or carving the rear out of the other truck and adapting flat sections to be possibly wider to match the width of the 3/4-ton truck. A lot of work either way :-(

mdainsd

Its unfortunate just how many of those trucks were butchered.
The 3/4 ton is more desirable by far IMHO. The tailgates interchange between the 1/2t and the 3/4t. The same cannot be said for the sheet metal. The body of the 1/2t is taller as it is pre "low silhouette" which the 3/4t versions are refereed to. Most all had the votmeter, that by itself does not indicate a WC58.

I guess a good metal worker could make the basic shapes to restore the rear end. John has the top portion that goes above the tailgate (The hardest part to fabricate). Tailgate and hinge is at his place too.
Harder part would be the two side pieces, but even they are just flat with a single curve rolled into them,

Go for the 3/4T!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So... This is an old thread, but I happened across an auction today.

1942 Dodge WC-23 Command Car with a 1943 Ben-Hur 1-Ton Trailer attached to the pintle.
Just had to post a couple of pictures and figured it might be nice for folks to admire!

NOT My truck. I did not win the bid :-(

01.jpg06.jpg11.jpg17.jpg54.jpg62.jpg80.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks