• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804a Startup question

Fmeroney

Hello all,
I have a question about the startup switch positions and want to clear up what they do.

There are 5 positions - Preheat, Off, Prime & Run Aux, Prime & Run, and Start

1. Preheat - Preheats glow plugs, Is this required or for cold starts.

2. Off - Off, No explanation needed

3. Prime & Run Aux - Primes the fuel Pump for the Auxiliary fuel input.

4. Prime & Run - Primes the pump for main tank

5. Start - Starts the genset, after start turn back to the Aux Run or Run positions

If any of that is not correct let me know... however the real question, when I turn it to position (3) Prime & Run Aux you can hear a pump turn on, however when I turn to Position (4) Prime & Run I do not hear a pump come on... the gen set starts fine so I assume the pump I hear is for the aux fuel input line?!

Also, is there a best practice start-up manual? How long to pre-heat etc??

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed254

You might want to read ARMY TM 9-6115-643-10. It will answer your questions. I don't own an MEP-804A but reading the TM taught me that:

You need to ground the unit.
a. At temperatures below 40°F (4°C) turn MASTER SWITCH to PREHEAT for 30 seconds.
b. Rotate MASTER SWITCH to START position.
c. Hold MASTER SWITCH in START position until oil pressure reaches
at least 25 psi (172kPa), voltage has increased to its approximate rated value, and engine has reached stable operating speed.
d. Release MASTER SWITCH to PRIME AND RUN position.
e . If operating with an auxiliary fuel source, rotate MASTER SWITCH to PRIME AND RUN AUX FUEL position.

CAUTION
Do not crank engine in excess of fifteen seconds. Allow starter to cool at least fifteen seconds between attempted starts.
Failure to observe this caution could result in damage to the starter.

Lots of good info in those manuals.

robertsears1

The MEP 804a has an Isuzu engine with a mechanical main fuel pump, thus when the switch is turned to main, silence until you go over to start. The 804b has the Yanmar turbo diesel which does have an electric main fuel pump and you will hear it running in main.

Robert

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have 2 mep 804a's, one works great but the other doesn't stay running unless I hold it to the start position even after oil pressure and hertz is at the proper level. W hen it cuts off the no fuel light comes on. What could be the problem there? And the fuel tank has over half a tank in it. And I noticed the aux fuel pump does not work on this one im having the problems with but that should be as simple as replacing the pump.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have 2 mep 804a's, one works great but the other doesn't stay running unless I hold it to the start position even after oil pressure and hertz is at the proper level. W hen it cuts off the no fuel light comes on. What could be the problem there? And the fuel tank has over half a tank in it. And I noticed the aux fuel pump does not work on this one im having the problems with but that should be as simple as replacing the pump.
Have you had the chance to check out the TMs? No fuel light is certainly an alarm that will prevent the unit from running.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Fuel level floats are stuck, dissolved, or broken.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks