• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Instrument Light fuse keeps blowing intermittently during start

sandsock

After I switched the glow plug module to push button once in a while the instrument panel light 5a fuse will blow during engine start. I suppose I need to turn the marker lights on to be able to see when it happens during start because its also possible it's unrelated to the mod and might be an intermittent short on the flimsy bulb circuit panel. Was wondering,

- Anyone experience something similar?

- Any potential harm in switching to a 7.5a fuse?

Matt5

Banned
You do not up size fuses.

Nothing "flimsy" about the circuit panel. You have a over current issue somewhere... find it. Look at a wiring diagram see where that goes and see where it is shorting.

MarcusOReallyus

- Any potential harm in switching to a 7.5a fuse?
YES!

Matt's right. NEVER upsize a fuse. NEVER. No, not even to limp a vehicle home when you are stuck on the side of the road.

Don't even put in a slo-blo of the same amperage if what's in there is a standard fuse. You risk damaging components, or even a fire. It's hard to limp home a vehicle that has burned to the ground.

It's not likely your problem is related to the mod, if you did the mod correctly. Coincidence happens.

sandsock

Thx for talking me off the cliff re: up sizing...I recently reset my dash bulbs and it felt like the circuit panel was delaminating so maybe my efforts caused the short...need to probably re-seat the bulbs (maybe LED to boot) anr try to figure out where I may have horsed things up?

MarcusOReallyus

Yes, take a good look at what you did. It wouldn't be hard to have something come apart on you while you were in there doing the bulbs. Old plastic is like a grumpy old man - it just doesn't like being disturbed.

sandsock

Re-seated all the bulbs and problem solved. I naively thought after reading my Chilton manual that it would be best to remove the instrument cluster to troubleshoot. I don't think it was installed correctly because it seems wedged behind the sheet metal of the dash.
IMG_20181208_150304659.jpgIMG_20181208_150339566.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

I wouldn't use a Chilton or Haynes manual to line a birdcage. Sometimes they have good info, but they also have simply wrong info scattered around among the good. And of course, they are both famous for just leaving out important info without any clue that there is important stuff missing.

I don't like walking in minefields.

Last edited:

Matt5

Banned
They make one for a cucv? I'm thinking not... don't go based off those... while some stuff is the same some is different...

I doubt a light bulb was your issue i think by moving the cluster you moved something else... 5 amps is not to much but... that plastic board is not going to like a 5 amp short...

I would keep a few extra fuses on hand just in case I like to error on the safe side.

cucvrus

Re-seated all the bulbs and problem solved. I naively thought after reading my Chilton manual that it would be best to remove the instrument cluster to troubleshoot. I don't think it was installed correctly because it seems wedged behind the sheet metal of the dash.
View attachment 750859View attachment 750860
That is hard to believe but that is the way they are mounted. And at this late date the cluster is as fragile as fresh potato chips. Be careful and remove the entire assembly only after all else fails. I like to rebuild them thru the front if at all possible. Or NOT. I have one apart now that they bent the sheet metal to get the cluster out. That is not necessary. It was done before I purchased the truck in the late 90's. Glad to hear you resolved the issues you were having. Hope they work out and stay fixed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks