• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Had to tear it down!!

Miscexpense

Don't know if anyone has seen worse, but here was my find today. Some of the pictures are after I shopvac'ed the cylinders..:doh:. That is two words I never thought I would say in the same sentence. Now for the soak and hope it breaks free.

IMG_4666.jpgIMG_4667.jpgIMG_4668.jpgIMG_4670.jpgIMG_4671.jpgIMG_4672.jpg

BLK HMMWV

Your going to have to pull it out of the frame and rebuild it or replace it either way it will need to be removed.
I'm guessing it was either swamped when being driven or was swamped parked in one of the resent floods or hurricanes down south.
You have a project ahead of you.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not what you were looking for a holiday present.

Me thinks the least painful thing is to buy a new engine, but only AFTER you check the tranny, transfer case, axles, pumpkins, etc...

OUCH!

T

Monkeyboyarmy

What a bunch of party poopers. I've had engines that were stuck that I had to put a 3 foot bar on and move back and forth for weeks to get broke free and they have run fine. I think it's worth a try to break it free and look at the cylinders to see what the condition is. There always is a possibility of stuck rings so it depends on how lucky you feel. A pair of head gaskets and a little labor is all it will cost you to find out. You dont have to bolt the intake back on to run it.

ohiohmmwv

Not what you were looking for a holiday present.

Me thinks the least painful thing is to buy a new engine, but only AFTER you check the tranny, transfer case, axles, pumpkins, etc...

OUCH!

T
And if the whole rolling chassis and power pack is trashed I can sell you that too. Easy swap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What a bunch of party poopers. I've had engines that were stuck that I had to put a 3 foot bar on and move back and forth for weeks to get broke free and they have run fine. I think it's worth a try to break it free and look at the cylinders to see what the condition is. There always is a possibility of stuck rings so it depends on how lucky you feel. A pair of head gaskets and a little labor is all it will cost you to find out. You dont have to bolt the intake back on to run it.
I was thinking the same thing, but I'd check the bottom end for cracks first.

Miscexpense

The backstory is the simplest. Intake mushroom cap was removed and the truck sat from 2012 to last month, open to collect water. The water filled up and crossed over the air horn and down the intake. The good thing is I like a challenge, the bad thing is I run out of band-aids and curse words fast. I'm set up to try and break it free how it sits, but I have a cherry picker and a stand ready just in case I have to pull it. While I'm at it I have a place ready to rebuild my injector pump just as a safety precaution. How do I convert our part numbers from the TM number to a number my local part store can use? I'm going to get new head bolts and gaskets. Or do I just need to say I need head/intake gaskets & bolts for a 2000 GM 6.5?

I will say being turned on to this forum is a breath of fresh air, you guys have helped a ton so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks