• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M35A2 "Deuce"

kfleeman

Hi everybody, I'm new here. I'm looking to buy a M35A2 "Deuce," and I figured there was nowhere better to ask for advice than right here.

I would like to spend $5000 or less. I want to get a good solid truck that I won't have to work on all the time. I prefer turbocharged, hopefully with a C "whistler" turbo. I also would like a hard top. A winch would be nice, but I can live without one.

Is there anything that I should look out for when buying one of these trucks? Are there any certain year models that are more or less desirable? What is considered to be a lot of miles/hours on one of these trucks? Do you recommend Government Liquidation?

I appreciate any and all advice you guys can give me.

First Welcome to the site.. its addicting.. for the budget you are looking at being able to pick one up that someone has already gone threw and ready to drive home.. theres some individuals on here that got some nice trucks on here for sale and you wouldnt have to worry about any problems when you got it.. get your first one then its time for a second.. :D

drthunder33

Take your time and read through this section. There is tons of helpful info here. The search feature is a great help also.

I'm a new deuce owner and that route helped immensely.

Welcome to the forum.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kfleeman,

drthunder33 offers good advise here. These forums will serve you well. Spend some time in this one, (the deuce).

The trucks are out there. They'll be there when you're ready to buy. We'll help you. If 5k is what you have to spend, you'll do fine. You should have plenty left over for extra goodies and fixes if you take the time to do you homework here at SS.

A moderator may move this thread to the "new members" forum. When you have your deuce, you'll be as caught-up in it as the rest of us!

Welcome!

aboonski

Welcome to SS! This may or may not work but I will try to link you to an ad that I have on the Spacecoast Craig's List right now:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/car/575133305.html
Mine is a 1968 M35A2C with winch and hardtop plus it has the Air-O-Matic power steering and brand new cargo cover canvas, top bows and corners, and a 'C' whistler turbo just like you want. I have new doors, door glass and windshields that I will throw in for the price I have listed on Craig's List for a SS member - I didn't mention those parts in that ad by the way.....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am, as mentioned above, deuceless at the moment.
I have been lucky with the trucks I bought and resold. All were runners and all were sold whole except for one I parted out. Unfortunatly I made more from it than I did the whole ones so some of my furture purchases may be parted out too.
The prices have gone up on the GL auctions but for what you want to spend you should be able to get a good runner. If you are neat Fort Leonard Wood check GL and see if they have any there coming up for auction. If they do you can go preview before you do.
I bid on all of mine sight unseen but maybe I got lucky.
Welcome to the looney bin. :)

cr4x4cruiser

Here is a rather extraordinary Deuce, that is available in your neck of the woods. The bidding closes on Sunday. If you like them all sorted-out, and ready to roll, then this is probably one of the best.

Currently, the bidding is at $4600, with advances costing $100.

Likely, some - if not all - of the bidders are members here...

> GovDeals;

This military vehicle was purchased by the Charleston Police Department in 1997. The odometer at that time read 24,585. It now reads 28,421 for a total difference of 3,836 miles. The truck has been refurbished with military or equivalent parts. $20,000 has been invested over the last ten years. This M35A2 is equipped with an in-line six cylinder multi-fuel engine built by White Engine Company. It has been run exclusively with diesel fuel. It has a multi-ratio transfer case mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. This vehicle runs great and the transmission shifts well. The vehicle has had the interior redone with new cushions and seat covers. A 24vdc-12vdc converter is installed in the rear of the vehicle to facilitate any 12vdc equipment you may want to add. In addition to the converter, the following upgrades and maintenance has been performed on this vehicle over the past ten years. This vehicle has been stored in a warehouse when not driven. The paint is in very good condition. • New brakes including master cylinder, air pack, shoes and a few brake lines; • New wheel bearings • New turn signal switch; • New muffler • Flywheel resurfaced; • New clutch pressure plate and disc • New pilot bearing; • New horn and horn button • New cab top; • New starter and generator • New weather stripping.

Attachments

kfleeman

Thanks everybody for your help and offers so far. I don't want to move into this too quickly. I'll probably want research for another week or two before I commit to buying one.

I have an unrelated question for you guys. What is the height of a standard M35A2 measured from the ground to the top of the cab?

I have looked everywhere and come up with a range from 95-112 inches. I need a more precise measurement than that. Thanks again for the help.

ptg530C

Look at the plate on the door for the hgt. Also contact Ken Kublo at Kublo's surplus in Penn. He can hook you up and shipping isnt that bad but i am sure you could drive one of his trucks home no problem.

kfleeman

I'm not one to start a new post for every little question I have, so I'll keep this one going as long as I can keep getting responses.

I have come to the conclusion that Government Liquidation is probably not the right choice for me right now. I don't expect to have this deuce for much more than four months because I'm anticipating moving a good distance (1000+ miles) from where I live now. It would be more efficient to buy one for now, sell it, and then buy another when I get settled in at my new location. Anyway, with GL it looks like the paperwork could easily take 4 months to complete, so that's not a good option.

I'd like to buy a good solid deuce that I can at least get my money back out of in 4-6 months. I have been referred to Dave at Eastern Surplus already. Let me know if you guys know of any other dealers like this. I am located in Southeast Missouri, but I don't have a problem with hauling one 700-800 miles if necessary. Obviously closer is better though.

Thanks again for everybody's help and patience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks