• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ld-465 max rpm 1800

jth3rd

Have a 66 deuce start and runs great but noticed a majority of the time when driving.
It has no power, exhaust smoke under wot is light haze.
Top speed around 32 mph and rpms wont climb past 1800-1900 even down hill and if I'm going up hill have to down shift and still loss mph, and slightly more smoke.
but after driving awhile it's like a switch
Is flipped and instantly goes from low power/low smoke.
Into a f16 with afterburns lit, pour out smoke like a freight train, rpms take off like a rocket and itll hit 55-60 going up hill like it's nothing

Order new fuel filters,
replaced the fuel pump, newer ip head,
Thinking that possibly the fdc is the issue

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Might be filter related. The fuel system is a return system. Having the truck running for a while could heat up the fuel enough to help it flow through clogged filters. Do you have nothing but diesel in the fuel tank? If the FDC isn't already bypassed, go ahead and do that now to prevent another issue. (Fuel leaking into crankcase oil) The hydraulic head is very reliant on clearances. Heating up could also expand it enough to get a good seal internally of the piston. So you've already replaced the HH? I'd of course recommend the filter swap first.

jth3rd

It's running about 20% used oil
Fdc hasn't been bypassed yet
Hopefully it's just dirty filters but ill find out soon

Last edited:

rustystud

How you filtering your oil? That may be what your problems are.
Exactly ! Used motor oil has a tremendous amount of metal particles in it. You need a centrifuge to totally remove them all, but a really good filtration system can really help. Remember the fuel should be cleaned down to at least 6 microns. The old American Bosch service manual said to filter the fuel down to 2 microns ! That would be pretty hard with the filters available now, but that is what the manual said. So if your running dirty engine oil with who knows what in it, that could really plug up that Hydraulic Head .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I doubt its filters. Ive had my truck shut off while driving and up to that point, had no indidcation the filters were getting bad. I say have your injectiors pop tested and adjusted then check valve lash. Id go to the fuel system after checking the air filter. Just my 2 cents .

rustystud

I doubt its filters. Ive had my truck shut off while driving and up to that point, had no indidcation the filters were getting bad. I say have your injectiors pop tested and adjusted then check valve lash. Id go to the fuel system after checking the air filter. Just my 2 cents .

I don't think it could be the injectors or valve adjustment since it is an intermittent problem. Those kind of issues you mentioned Gimp are usually always constant. This definitely sounds like a fuel issue. I'm wondering about the fuel pump now.
"jth3rd" have you checked the fuel pump pressure ? Also the fuel pressure coming out of the booster pump ? This can tell us a lot of what's happening in there. Since your running waste oil, maybe once the engine gets warm enough it is sending warm fuel back to the tank and that is helping loosen up the crud around the fuel pump pick-up screen. Just thinking out loud here.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to assume it's a 1966 filter that has never been changed

The stock filter in 1966 was probably a washable one . That looks like a combination of waste oil and not draining the water regularly.
Most people that run waste oil carry extra filters.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the first picture it looks like your headlight ground wire is broken.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks