• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

At what speed does the torque converter lock in a 4l80e trans

gem1410

I just got my humvee with a 6.5 turbo and a 4L80e trans--Shifts 2-4 are smooth but I cannot feel the torque converter lock up--Around what speed does it lock--Thanks George

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my humvee with a 6.5 turbo and a 4L80e trans--Shifts 2-4 are smooth but I cannot feel the torque converter lock up--Around what speed does it lock--Thanks George
I don't understand... What about shift 1?

Are you only shifting b/t 2 and 4? Are you in limp mode?

What speeds do you feel your shifts? What is your top speed?

gem1410

well see you are already in first gear starting off so the trans shifts to 2nd to 3rd then 4th--I do not feel the torque converter lock up which would feel like another shift--only took it up to 45mph as a 1/2 shaft is bad--At what speed does the torque converter lock up?--2nd gear comes in around 8 mph--3rd comes in at 15 and 4th comes in around 25mph--- The 4L80E is new to me so any info is helpful--Thanks

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

4th is overdrive, so when the trans shifts into "4th" that's when the convertor should lock up.
Try doing a foot to the floor test and see what speeds the things shifts at then.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4th is overdrive, so when the trans shifts into "4th" that's when the convertor should lock up.
Try doing a foot to the floor test and see what speeds the things shifts at then.
Agree with The Barber.

Also, you mention not driving over 45MPH due to half shaft issue. Perhaps you need to fix the half shaft and drive faster?

Jon0249

gem1410, I get the question - I run a 4L80e. My locking torque converter engages at the speed/RPM I want it to, using the Quick4 controller. It does NOT engage when it moves into 4th gear. In fact, it's almost like a 5th gear on the highway. Yours is probably set to engage at a speed that exceeds your comfort level, and you may not have a way to program those shift points. Any progress since your original post?

gem1410

Glad you got it--fourth gear comes in around 35 mph--the torque converter locks-up around 43 mph and the rpm drops considerably --In one humvee I have you can feel the lock up like a 5th gear--the other humvee it kind of softly slides into the lock-up at 44 mph and the rpm drops--originally the lock-up was not happening due to the brake pedal switch being out of adjustment on one of my trucks-- thanks for the good info Jon0249

hummer4x4guy

I’ve been wondering if my truck isn’t locking up as well. When I’m doing 65 MPH via GPS I’m at 2500 RPM on the nose. The trans shifts wonderfully but I’d sure like to have the RPM a bit lower. :/

Jon0249

I’ve been wondering if my truck isn’t locking up as well. When I’m doing 65 MPH via GPS I’m at 2500 RPM on the nose. The trans shifts wonderfully but I’d sure like to have the RPM a bit lower. :/
With a working tach, Hummer4x4guy, you should be able to see a noticeable drop when your locking T/C engages. And, depending on the shift controller you use, you might even have an indicator that comes on with the T/C engagement. 2500 is a bit high at 65 mph. My tach is inop, but the controller registers RPMs, and I'm right at 2000 when I hit 65. It's sweet. Are you sure you have a locking T/C? Stock units were non-locking.

Gem1410, my shift points are markedly higher than yours - I shift from 3 to 4 at approx. 40 mph, but I've set my T/C engagement at 56 mph. For the T/C to stay engaged, there has to be a fairly high amount of pressure, and I've found that at relatively low speeds (and consequently low trans pressure), the T/C goes in and out too much for my liking. I still need to tweak it a bit, but I can run up an long incline without the T/C disengaging with regularity. These beasts are just so heavy, and the pressure sensors in a 4L80e are actually very sensitive. I don't want to put an unnecessarily heavy load on the T/C at low rpm/pressure. Make sense?

gem1410

I like the feel of the extra weight of the 12k humvees --the ride in my turbo 6.5 4l80e trucks is much smoother then an m998-----My trans is not adjustable and at the lower t/c engagement speed the t/c just slops in --on my other humvee the t/c locks up firm---same trucks but the transmissions have different shift points and t/c lock up points--close but different

Ant929

I am also having a TCC problem. I have replaced the TCC solenoid when I change the fluid, swapped the speed sensors, and still no lock up. I had the brake switch disconnected as I was driving at 55 turning 3000rpm’s and engaged the brake switch and no change. I am thinking of replacing the switch but the ohms check good on it. Any input?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also having a TCC problem. I have replaced the TCC solenoid when I change the fluid, swapped the speed sensors, and still no lock up. I had the brake switch disconnected as I was driving at 55 turning 3000rpm’s and engaged the brake switch and no change. I am thinking of replacing the switch but the ohms check good on it. Any input?
short The wires together....the switch is just opening and closeing to allow or deny voltage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks