• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 White Smoke

WhoMe08721

Hey guys,

So today I finally fired up my m35a2 and toke her for a drive and she blows white smoke. The truck has been sitting since May. Been redoing all the axle (brakes, seals & bearings) and putting in arb air locker in all of them. The motor ran for a go Hour today, It ran great no lose in power added clean new fuel to it today. Just blows white smoke. Any idea.

Thanks

WhoMe08721

I always cover my trucks exhaust with 3D Printed Caps I made to keep out the water in them. Also the caps work great at keeping out any thing in the exhaust and there pretty tight on the pipe. Some time I for get to remove them before I start the motor and they take off like a rocket to the moon.

3D Printed Cap 1.jpg3D Printed Cap 2.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title edited

We reserve the use of the word help in titles for on-road brakedown emergencys.

Everyone know we need help when we post about our issues.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's normal for a truck that has set and idled for awhile. Take it out and run it hard. The rings need to reseat a bit.
Will agree here go run it and bring engine water / oil up to Temp. then see how exhaust looks when you blip or go under load to full throttle. Diesels need there heat to be up and correct.
If I have to just run in to the store or fueling up my Duramax I don't even shut down the engine.

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

I agree to drive it and see if it clears up.

Check around the turbo housing for oil.

If wet it's either slobbering (wet stack), or the oil seals are seeping.
Tom

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Take it out loaded up and run it around at 1800-2000 RPM for a while. Back of that engine is the last to get hot. Use your friendly heat sensor gun.
What is the lube oil temperature at the oil filter cans and at the crankcase down low in the back.
And "clean new fuel" from the fuel station is nowheres near what that engine is supposed to run on, dump in a gallon of new motor oil or something.

Last edited:

WhoMe08721

Ok so today I toke it for a good 95 mile ride. Outside temperature was about 40deg. So I put cardboard in front of the radiator to bring up the temp of the truck it got up to about 200deg. So I pulled over and removed the cardboard and the truck ran the rest of the trip at 180ish. Truck still smokes, was only able to top out at 60mph on the straightaways and was running at 2,000rpm if luck. The truck was able to do 70mph max and was able to get up to 2,500rpm before this problem. The oil looks clean no water or milky. No bubbles in radiator when truck is running. Oil pressure is about 20psi. Also the truck had a new turbo on it and has no oil leaks around the turbo. Also Could this be a injector or injector pump problems. If so what the best way to test them. I do have a Diesel Injection Nozzles Tester. Could I check the psi of the injector pump and if so what should it be at.

cardboard.jpgOil Cap.jpgOil pressure.jpgOil Stick.jpgTemp with cardboard.jpgTruck idling.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would verify the turbocharger is not seized before I got into the ip. Can you hear it?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes, adjust the valves, change the oil and filters, new lube oil into the fuel, clean/set the injectors and what was that about 2500RPM?
There is not many rebuilt multifuel engines left, have to take care of it.
bearings TDC exhaust IMG_9766.jpg

You could put some Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen or Seafoam in there, can't hurt. My favorite is homemade seafoam, works good. I'll post about that if you want.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
What I meant by the "real" temperature was to use one of these. Great for wheel bearing analysis, exhaust system temp differentials, coolant temps, lube oil temps, and flow thru injectors metal temperatures should be about the same so it it can be tried there to seek a cylinder with bad flow, maybe.
truck engine oil filter temp IMG_3010.jpg.
This is the metal can temp of lube oil filter when warmed up, always found it difficult to get that engine heat soaked, had to load it and drive it Like I did in the Army when it wasn't mine.
More. Methinks mechanical tachometer as installed in M35A2 could be off by 18%, +- more <>

Last edited:

rustystud

Ok so today I toke it for a good 95 mile ride. Outside temperature was about 40deg. So I put cardboard in front of the radiator to bring up the temp of the truck it got up to about 200deg. So I pulled over and removed the cardboard and the truck ran the rest of the trip at 180ish. Truck still smokes, was only able to top out at 60mph on the straightaways and was running at 2,000rpm if luck. The truck was able to do 70mph max and was able to get up to 2,500rpm before this problem. The oil looks clean no water or milky. No bubbles in radiator when truck is running. Oil pressure is about 20psi. Also the truck had a new turbo on it and has no oil leaks around the turbo. Also Could this be a injector or injector pump problems. If so what the best way to test them. I do have a Diesel Injection Nozzles Tester. Could I check the psi of the injector pump and if so what should it be at.

View attachment 749969View attachment 749970View attachment 749971View attachment 749972View attachment 749973View attachment 749974

Yep, you probably have an injector sticking. So take them out and Pop-Test them all. Also when you do your next run with the truck try and load it down. Go up a good hill and really make the engine grunt. Or put some serious weight in the back and run it. This engine was made to be operated at max load, so give it to it. Any motor vehicle is like a human. If you don't get exercise problems arise. The same happens to our vehicles. I'm sure everyone has seen the seriously abused and smashed up junker car going down the road. You wonder how in the world does that car still run ! Well it has been extremely exercised ! Now if that person stops running that car for a month it might never start again.
What I'm trying to say is give your deuce some exercise ! It will thank you for it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are not going 70mph at 2500 rpm.

Have yu tried a fuel addative or done filter maintence recently?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks