• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 White Smoke

WhoMe08721

Hey guys,

So today I finally got time to work on the M35a2. Removed all the injector nozzle and cleaned them. I also did a injector pop test on all of them. They all open at the pressure the (tm 9-2815-210-35) recommends and they did not drip or leak when high pressure was left on them. Then I checked the cylinder compression on all the cylinder with my custom Compression Tester I made. All cylinder where good on psi and held pressure. I am now stumped what to do. Tomorrow I was thinking to maybe check injector pump fuel adjustment screw, The cover is on it but there is no safety wire on the bolts. May be it loosen it self or it was not properly tighten. Any ideas. Thanks -Chris

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my two cents, but my Dodge was blowing white smoke bad about 2 years ago and an old diesel mechanic told me to pour in a gallon of cheap ATF. I haven’t had a problem since and the Cummins runs like a champ. Now I run a quart every 3rd or 4th tank.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You know that doing to many fixes at the same time will fix the problem but then You will never be able to post what the culprit was.
The injectors................................

WhoMe08721

Hey guys,

So today I checked the injector pump fuel adjustment screw, and it look good. I also checked the Throttle linkage & the IP Timing they where good too. Finally I check the air breather filter & it was clean swapped it with a new one too. Now I am out of ideas what to check truck still not running right. Also is there away to check the Injection Pump Hydraulic Head (High Fuel Pressure Side) with the IP pump on the truck?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the truck has idled a lot, it might stuck rings. Put as much weight in the bed as possible and drive it hard for an hour or two. Get it hot and drive it hard, the multi likes to work.

WhoMe08721

I was thinking of that. But if it was stuck ring when I did the cylinder compression check it would have showed up. I would think

WhoMe08721

That was a pic of my DIY cylinder compression tester. I bored out a old diesel injector and weld the fuel supply hole and add a gauge to the pressure top.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok my bad it is a tester. What through me off was seeing the other injectors installed. Just hit me your little extra smoke could be from single hole tip, go to two hole or don't worry about it. If you watched the utube vid that shows what a stream looks like and we don't want a stream. Then one shows what 3500 psi two hole looks like and good atomization. Then the vid where he ran the injector to 5000 and it vaporized like a fog, real nice atomization but to much pressure for the Deuce IP. New or old if they can be made to pop at least go 3200psi.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is getting interesting
View attachment troubleshooting the multifuel engine.pdf

Long shot.
What is coming out of the road draft tube when engine is making white smoke. Perhaps the valve cover is pressurizing, breathers atop the engine, is plugged up causing oil vapor down the valve guides to the cylinders.
The breather maintenance (sort of) is covered in TM 9-2320-361-24-1 WP 0045 00. Maybe take it apart and clean it.

Last edited:

jatonka

I still think his injector timing is wrong. I just finished a 4BDT-1 Isuzu today and the diesel shop put the pump in 1 tooth off for 15 degrees retarded and it smoked white, no power and overheated all the while. It is perfect now. JT

WhoMe08721

TRUCK UPDATE

The injector timing looks correct by the (Troubled Shooting Manual LDS-465-1 Multifuel engine). Also I can't see the timing being off cause I didn't have this problem before it sat around. So I cant see the timing jumping when it not moving. Also for the last few days I have been getting fire wood with truck. Been pushing the truck by leaving it in 4th gear and scramming it with a joke load of fire wood. All stack from front to back and to the top of the bed rails. Been also burning some oil with the diesel to help lubricate. Truck finally broke free yesterday in 5th gear on straightway was able to do 62mph but rpm only got to 2000rpm and the pedal was all way to the floor. Truck is improving but not wear it used to be and it still smokes. In the following weeks I am going to remove the IP pump and clean it & rebuild it. I am thinking the some thing with the IP is my problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks